Suggestion for future game

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

catatonic
General
Human: Yes

Re: Suggestion for future game

Post by catatonic »

tkobo wrote:...A single "shot" from a unit is not really a single shot,its more of an engagement in which all the equipment of a unit fires off mutliple shots in a set time period.Because the time passage scale is so large,and all equipment in a unit fires at the same time gamewise.

So, as has been said a few times now,the units never miss view can be incorrect.It can simply be that the pieces of equipment that miss are already factored in,and the damage is the average of the multiple shots,both hits and misses ,presented as a static figure...
Thanks for explaining this. It is very interesting. Do you know what factors are used to determine effective damage? Unit efficiency? Target movement?

Here is something else that I have observed:

When you attack with a unit, say an air unit, and that unit takes a hit, when it later RTBs its health bar may be shortened just a little. Still green and healthy, but with a little shaved off on its right side. When you look at its strength figure, it still reads "18" - full strength.

I once told a poster that since a unit consists of squads that its strength number was an integer, and that as each squad was destroyed, the number would decrease by one. But the health bar behavior suggests that internally, unit strength is not an integer (18) but a floating point number (18.0) and that a unit can suffer partial damage to a squad (17.8). But the strength is always rounded off to an integer value for display purposes.

Another question:

I have fired a single missile, usually a nuke, and it often gets "nicked" multiple times by ground fire before arriving at its target. Do single missiles lose strenght in flight? Does this reduce their striking power?
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Re: Suggestion for future game

Post by tkobo »

Dont take that explanation as fact,its just the way in the past its been explained when the "units should be able to miss" debate came up.I used to ask for units to be able to miss myself,but eventually was convinced by the given explanation,that my premise could be wrong.

The explanation has been worded differently pretty much each time also,but the core ,which is that the time scale makes it mutliple shots in a given time period,instead of just a single volley, has pretty much always been the same.

i used to know the gist of the eqaution that determined damage.But that was back in sr2010,its on that forum in a thread somewhere as the devs disclosed its basics during debates over it.It included things like unit strength,base damage,armor type(soft or hard),appropriate defense, even terrian,range ,etc,can factor in .

But they changed it as strength had too big an impact,changing also the strengths of units.Which is why unit strength and manpower use is so much more universal in sr2020,than was the case in sr2010.
So no, currently i dont even know that much of the gist anymore :lol:

For the missiles questions, im pretty sure,yes.Last time this was asked IIRC it was confirmed by a dev.There have been some recent changes to missiles though as well,as some missile units on the screen could in the past represent more than one produced missile ,after being fired.This was recently changed to no longer be the case.

All units can by the way take damage that doesnt lower their strength though.Its even possible to hit a unit and do no measured damage at all.When you watch units in combat, watch the units value.Even when a unit is hit, but does not take a strength loss,it often shows a value loss.The monetary value of the unit goes down,showing damage that didnt result in loss of man or equipment.

And its even possible for a hit to show no reduction in value,hence showing no damage in anyway i could figure out.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM

Return to “Development - 2020”