Update 7 missile targeting

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

catatonic
General
Human: Yes

Update 7 missile targeting

Post by catatonic »

George wrote: - Corrected a targetting/visibility bug where long range fire opps were missed
- Corrected a case where unit opportunity fire set not used in missile firing
I did not know what this meant until I saw something different last evening.

For some time it has seemed like I was killing more missile targets, but I just attributed it to luck.

If a launcher fires at a tank or something the target will eventually be damaged enough to make it run away for repair. The launcher will keep firing.

But previously the launcher would keep firing at the same hex even as the target was making its escape. The target would still be damaged if it was in the missile's zoc, and occasionally the missile would zag in another direction to try to hit it. But once the target was two or more hexes away from its original hex, the launcher would fire another salvo or so and then give up. The target would get away.

Last night I was shooting at an AA unit. The soft target was immediately badly damaged and escaped at right angles to my launcher, towards its repair barracks about eight or ten hexes away. The launcher tracked the target the entire way, through about 40 degrees of arc, firing missiles in the correct direction each time.

Cool.

But it missed. The target still got away and escaped into its barracks.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Re: Update 7 missile targeting

Post by catatonic »

I don't really understand this - I tried to engage three other units in the same manner and all of the missiles homed in on the same original target hex again.

The launchers did not track the targets this time.

The missiles were near to their max range, but still had enough left to track the targets for a few more hexes.

Catatonic - 2012
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Many missiles dont follow their target, they simply go to the location the target was at (basically the hex).And if the target moves out of the hex,they simply miss by striking where the target used to be.

Some missiles will try and follow their target, but even they can miss.

This difference,some missiles do track and follow, and many dont ,is intentional.Its based on BGs accepted (by them) understanding of what the various missiles types were capable of when they were put in the game.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Also with techs that increase missle accuracy, it would seem that all missles are not garrunteed to hit there target.
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

And the launcher tracking?

Catatonic - 2012
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

What launcher tracking ?The missiles track the target.The launcher has no clue.
Chuckle TM
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

tkobo wrote:What launcher tracking ?The missiles track the target.The launcher has no clue.
I thought that too.

Please re-read the OP.

Catatonic - 2012
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

And ?Units get spotting info from other units, as well as from what they see.This is why art can hit targets that it couldnt see on its own, but that other units can see.The difference here is, missiles dont have their own spotting in that way.They rely on outside sources,to find the target,then they keep track of the targets location thru those sources.

This is one reason why even missiles that follow a target,can miss.The missile in effect, tracks the target thru the eyes of the other units.The launcher simply looks at everything it can see, as do the other units, and the missile accesses their information to look specifically at its target location.

You see this alot in naval combat.The enemy ships runs, and the missile follows it.When the enemy ship is lost track of(it is no longer visible on the screen), the missile will either hit the hex the ship was in,or the next hex in the ships course.If the ship has left both of those,into a third hex and cannot be seen there,the missile can miss by hitting one of the other two.
Chuckle TM
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

tkobo wrote:And?
"And" I thought that I saw my launcher tracking a moving target. This may be something new.

Let me explain again:

Previously a player would take control of a launcher and give it a target hex at which to fire missiles. Then a stream of missiles would begin firing at the same hex until the target was destroyed, moved away or until the launcher ran out of missiles.

I am not discussing the behavior of the missiles. Forget the missiles.

What I think that I saw - and I have only seen it once, is that when the target moved away from its original hex, towards a barracks for repair, my launcher acted intelligently, as if I was ordering it to fire at an updated location. The launcher, by itself, "swiveled" its aim to the right and began firing missiles at a new hex - the new hex that the escaping target had moved to.

Then the launcher did this again and again - "rotating", following the target, firing new missiles at the new hexs that the target moved to. Unfortunitly, the target, an AA, moved fast enough that it still stayed ahead of the updated missiles that chased it over a distance of 8-10 hexes, at a right angle (from left to right) to the launcher.

Missiles on their own will sometimes attempt to track a target for a limited distance, but not for 8-10 hexes - 130-160 km.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this due to the two U7 changes that I quoted in my OP or was I just imagining it?

If not this, then what do these modifications do?

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

catatonic wrote:
tkobo wrote:And?
"And" I thought that I saw my launcher tracking a moving target. This may be something new.

Let me explain again:

Previously a player would take control of a launcher and give it a target hex at which to fire missiles. Then a stream of missiles would begin firing at the same hex until the target was destroyed, moved away or until the launcher ran out of missiles.

I am not discussing the behavior of the missiles. Forget the missiles.

What I think that I saw - and I have only seen it once, is that when the target moved away from its original hex, towards a barracks for repair, my launcher acted intelligently, as if I was ordering it to fire at an updated location. The launcher, by itself, "swiveled" its aim to the right and began firing missiles at a new hex - the new hex that the escaping target had moved to.

Then the launcher did this again and again - "rotating", following the target, firing new missiles at the new hexs that the target moved to. Unfortunitly, the target, an AA, moved fast enough that it still stayed ahead of the updated missiles that chased it over a distance of 8-10 hexes, at a right angle (from left to right) to the launcher.

Missiles on their own will sometimes attempt to track a target for a limited distance, but not for 8-10 hexes - 130-160 km.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this due to the two U7 changes that I quoted in my OP or was I just imagining it?

If not this, then what do these modifications do?
Been thinking about this some more - I think that what I saw was a launcher (or its missiles) aquiring a target on their own. I know that if a player aims a missile/launcher at a specific target then the missiles or the launcher will not track a moving target - a lot of them get away wounded. The missile will follow to a certain extent, maybe one or two hexes. But not 160 km as I observed.

But if a missile or launcher (it is tough to determine which one is doing the firing) aquires a target on its own, then where is no reason why it would not re-aquire once the target moves/escapes and keep re-aiming as the target traverses.

The only mystery is why it does not do this when a player aims and fires the missile.

Catatonic - 2012

Return to “Development - 2020”