Enemy use of damaged air fields

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

catatonic
General
Human: Yes

Enemy use of damaged air fields

Post by catatonic »

I just nuked a Russian air field FOUR times. There is nothing left but about 5% or less on the air field's health bar. But the two original Russian aircraft still landing on it.

And when the nukes go off the two aircraft take off and are undamaged.

I have a 60% damaged air field that I can land at least a full stack of planes on.

I don't recall this happening before U7.

What good is damaging an air field if it can still be used?

Edit:

I had to nuke it seven times with 200-kiloton missiles to finally destroy it.
Last edited by catatonic on May 25 2010, edited 1 time in total.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Re: Enemy use of damaged air fields

Post by tkobo »

This is a new change from update 7 to deal with the planes crashing after region falls issue.Landing isnt really a big problem.Being able to take off from a severely damaged field would be.But i dont know if they can seperate the two,or even if they already have.

I was hoping they had made it possible to land, but then not take off.I wasnt able to see if the second part was the case though yet.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

tkobo wrote:This is a new change from update 7 to deal with the planes crashing after region falls issue.Landing isnt really a big problem.Being able to take off from a severely damaged field would be.But i dont know if they can seperate the two,or even if they already have.

I was hoping they had made it possible to land, but then not take off.I wasnt able to see if the second part was the case though yet.
That was not a problem with air fields closing when you captured a new region. When you captured a region its air fields would stay open. That is why the clouds of former enemy aircraft would continue to circle the air field, with other aircraft still landed there. At air fields with only one stack of landed planes the captured aircraft would be just fine.

The problem was that the supply was cut off at the air field and all over the captured region. Those excess AC that could not land and ran out of fuel crashed. All that was necessary to solve that problem was to continue furnishing supplies from the captured air fields.

Catatonic - 2012
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

The reason supply was cut off, was that the airfields were NOT operational til the clock moved to the next day.
This meant aircraft could neither land at, nor draw supply from the airfiled as they circled it.

Hence they crashed.Its been an issue for quite a while and this new change ,hinted at for sometime was to adress that.
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

A 5% strength airfield generates supplies at 5% of it's normal strength.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

tkobo wrote:The reason supply was cut off, was that the airfields were NOT operational til the clock moved to the next day.
This meant aircraft could neither land at, nor draw supply from the airfiled as they circled it.

Hence they crashed.Its been an issue for quite a while and this new change ,hinted at for sometime was to adress that.
That does not explain why aircraft continued to circle the "closed" air fields, like moths around a flame. That is not the way SR2020 aircraft behave. If you close an airfield all but the long endurance aircraft immediately fly away in search of a new air field.

Catatonic - 2012
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Because the aircraft didnt recognize that the bases were not operational when they checked for the nearest base.They simply couldnt tell.The why of this i cant say for sure.

I would surmise it had something to do with the reason the base was non-operational being an additional rule not covered in the AIs ability to decipher which bases were available to it .In other words,the AI knew if a base was turned off normally,it was not to be included in the list of fields to be considered.BUT it didnt reconize this "type" of turned off ,as it probably wasnt included in its coding/rules.As this type of turned off was a later addition.And so the field would show on the list as open to use,even though it currently wasnt.And the aircraft would travel to it thinking it was operational,but of course it wasnt.And not being able to land OR refuel, and often having been sent there as the choice for closest airbase,the aircraft ran out of fuel and crashed right there.

Much like the ground units currently dont know to remove from the list of barracks to travel to, any barracks that are closed to them due to the new zoc rules.Because the rules didnt exist when the code was written instructing the ground units how to determine what barracks to move to, and so with no instructions in to cover the new zoc rules ,they simple dont know not to pick it.

Green text, as stated is guesswork.

A work around for this was to pause the game the moment a region fell, and deactivate the new airfields.This allowed the AI to reconize the field was not a choice to be included, and the aircraft wouldnt travel to it.Another was to be sure you had an airfield that was yours closer to any aircraft than any of the new bases you would get when a region fell.
Chuckle TM
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

catatonic wrote:That was not a problem with air fields closing when you captured a new region. When you captured a region its air fields would stay open.
The term I meant to use was "deactivated", not "closed". The air fields were not "deactivated", but they were effectively closed due to lack of supply.
That is why the clouds of former enemy aircraft would continue to circle the air field, with other aircraft still landed there. At air fields with only one stack of landed planes the captured aircraft would be just fine.
I just replayed my Ruges mod game from April, the day after I captured China.
I was mistaken - there is no landed stack of aircraft at the air fields with red health bars.[/quote]

Catatonic - 2012
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

This have been wouldnt be a problem IF the aircraft reconized they couldnt land there and it didnt appear as an option for them to do so when looking for nearest airfield.

And now that they dont "shutdown" til the next day,its no longer one either.The new change allowing landing fixed this issue.
Chuckle TM
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

tkobo wrote:This have been wouldnt be a problem IF the aircraft reconized they couldnt land there and it didnt appear as an option for them to do so when looking for nearest airfield.

And now that they dont "shutdown" til the next day,its no longer one either.The new change allowing landing fixed this issue.
I tried my old savegame where there was a massive die-off of captured aircraft when I took China.
Under U7 I did not lose any of the 489 aircraft.

Catatonic - 2012
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

catatonic wrote:
tkobo wrote:This have been wouldnt be a problem IF the aircraft reconized they couldnt land there and it didnt appear as an option for them to do so when looking for nearest airfield.

I tried my old savegame where there was a massive die-off of captured aircraft when I took China.
Under U7 I did not lose any of the 489 aircraft.
Reloading a save "resets" the airfields. You'd have to do it about 2-3 game days before and play it through AND kill them very early in the day. It was obscure, that's why it took so long to get fixed.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Development - 2020”