Unit Command/Filter By/Add Highlighted Types

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

catatonic
General
Human: Yes

Unit Command/Filter By/Add Highlighted Types

Post by catatonic »

When I use this option it is usually for one of two reasons - I want to locate every unit of the currently selected type on the map or I want to give the same order to every unit of the same type on the map.

The current system lets me do neither adequately. Yes, all of the units of the currently selected type are added to the list, however they are not all blue highlighted (selected) and they do not all have location lines overlayed on the map pointing to their location.

When I do this, I want ALL of the units of this type both selected and pointed to, not just those that do not have current orders. I want to select units that are idle, entrenched, moving to, patrolling - all of them.

IMHO it would much easier for the player to exclude units from an over-selected list than for them to hunt down and add excluded units to an under-selected list, as we have to do now.

Add a player setting to make this optional if you need to. A clear all orders button would be nice too.

Please.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
George Geczy
General

Re: Unit Command/Filter By/Add Highlighted Types

Post by George Geczy »

One problem with this "Add by ..." thing is it gets terribly complex very quickly. SR2010 had a systems for this and it was confusing, and though SR2020's system is a bit simpler, it is also less flexible, and still confusing.

In any case... the "exclude units from an over selected list" is possible to some extent by using the "Remove Selected Type/class/unit" choices on the Add/Remove popup.

It is possible to highlight (for giving orders) every unit on the selection list by clicking on one of the branch selection buttons above the list (all/land/air/sea).

"A clear all orders button would be nice too" - there is a Cancel Orders button right underneath the Add/Remove popup button... this will clear orders of all selected/highlighted units.

-- George.
catatonic
General
Human: Yes

Re: Unit Command/Filter By/Add Highlighted Types

Post by catatonic »

George Geczy wrote:One problem with this "Add by ..." thing is it gets terribly complex very quickly. SR2010 had a systems for this and it was confusing, and though SR2020's system is a bit simpler, it is also less flexible, and still confusing.

In any case... the "exclude units from an over selected list" is possible to some extent by using the "Remove Selected Type/class/unit" choices on the Add/Remove popup.

It is possible to highlight (for giving orders) every unit on the selection list by clicking on one of the branch selection buttons above the list (all/land/air/sea).

"A clear all orders button would be nice too" - there is a Cancel Orders button right underneath the Add/Remove popup button... this will clear orders of all selected/highlighted units.

-- George.
Thank you for your thoughtful response.

I think that what you are suggesting over-all is to take an "under-selected" list where units with existing orders are not highlighted, and then make it into an complete/"over-selected" list with everything highlighted, by using the branch selection buttons.

At this point I would have a completly highlighted or "over-selected" list that I can apply the "Remove Selected Type" and "Cancel Orders" buttons to, until I have highlighted only the units that I wish to target.

I will try this and get back to you.

Edit:

It works! Thanks a lot.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012

Return to “Development - 2020”