a new military structure,or new use of an old one

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

a new military structure,or new use of an old one

Post by tkobo »

One way to get the AI to be more agressive,is to keep allowing them to capture military bases on the frontline.The AI's "protect base" coding kicks in and it really tries to hold the location.
When the base has an airfield,you can see aircraft fly from one end of the map to the other to protect that field.

What if a "new" structure was created,or even a unit,that had that same protect coding applied to it.That was in the case of a structure,was buildable even in zero supply,and had the following characteristics:
*limit of 3 at a given time
*one closest to the home capital is scrapped after the limit of 3 is reached,in regular short time intervals (perhaps somewhere in the 5 to 10 day range)
*Has one of the highest protection requirement ratings possible
*Has a rally point assigned to it from the nearest military fab.Limit of one rally point set for each of the three,for each land and air.
*give a very small supply effect.Reach of like 3 hexes maximum.

This would create alot more large scale battles, and keep them occuring til one side could no longer offer forces, and keep adjusting the "frontlines",during and after.

It would also help with those areas on the map that the AI has trouble with, having units get trapped their when supply units are not avialable.

And..... if you then created an AI frontline code,that grabbed all extra units at such a base,units there above the protection requirement amount, and ordered them into a line pattern facing the enemy hexes.......
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
tonystowe
Colonel

Re: a new military structure,or new use of an old one

Post by tonystowe »

Interesting concept... I will think on this a little more before I respond.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

What if a "new" structure was created,or even a unit,that had that same protect coding applied to it.That was in the case of a structure,was buildable even in zero supply,and had the following characteristics:
Problems I see with this is...

The only military structures I see the AI build are Land and Air Fabrications. I have yet to see it build anything else for military use. Also for it to work, I think it would have to have 0 cost, 0 maint cost, 0 IG cost, Etc... or you risk the possibility that they wouldnt get built.

If its a unit, the AI build orders seem to be based on a pre set order of unit type. If thats correct then it would keep building them even after the limit of 3 (or whatever limit). Even if that theory isnt correct , what would happen to the regions that can not build units at all ? or lose thier ability to build due to being in debt or losing all their fabs ?
*give a very small supply effect.Reach of like 3 hexes maximum.
*Has one of the highest protection requirement ratings possible
This sounds like your wanting to make some sort of command base/unit. So how easy would it be for the this base/unit to be destroyed and cut off the the units/hexes its supplying. Could a player take advantage of the high protection value to defend a stack of units or 3 ?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Thats why i call it a new base type, and define with capabilities others dont have.Zero supply building,so it could go up in any front area at anytime.And yes, cost should be addressed also,i overlooked that while detailing its capabilities.It should be very cheap, as its nothing more than an ad hoc command and supply center.As simple as a bunch of tents,containers, and personnel.

And yes,i would like it to be destroyable,hence 3 at time.And since both sides would be doing it,both sides would be rushing units to the locations to either hold or destroy the others bases.

And yes,a forward command center would be a very close approximation, and the concept id use to explain at least in part, the "context" of the new base in game terms.

I thought about this more as a facility than as a unit,but my thoughts on units would be to use the existing command units, and add some of the capabilities mentioned for the facility slant to them.
for example:
*3 exist at time,instead just one.
*add small supply distribution to them
*add the protection coding to them
etc...
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM

Return to “Development - 2020”