Military Units

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

_krolyn_
Corporal
Human: Yes

Military Units

Post by _krolyn_ »

Here are some suggestions concerning the military. The first one I would say it is crucial since ther is no way to easily compare unit stats, or even know what units some countries are offering you!!!

-- new interface for military units managing and searching (how can I know the stats of a unit in a trade offer?). This would be like a DB of all the units in the game with several filters, like coutry,type,preferred/excluded,stats,characteristics (air-drop,mid-air reffueling, etc..). Besides it would also be nice to be able to select some for a finer comparison of their stats.

-- UN military unit market. Most contries in real life do not produce their own fighters/bombers or tanks. it's too expensive to do all the research and production of all missiles, land, air, naval technology and units. In the end they focus on just one or two (like land and missiles) and buy the others (planes and naval) from countries like the US, Russia, China, France, England, etc...
I would suggest setting up a parallel UN world market for military units. Any country could just place there its units for sale with a price. This would simplify the buy and sell of units but also create another income source (similarly to production).

-- Research under-priced. I think that overall, the research is too cheap. I understand that if it was expensive the progress would be slow and some countries would always have an advantage. however, if the unit market is implemented, countries could focus on specifc technologies and still progress.
Gream Reper
Sergeant

Re: Military Units

Post by Gream Reper »

It sounds nice, good idea. But it is all up to BG. [_]B
medic911
Major

Post by medic911 »

One of the good features not in this game that was in SP2 is the unit market, i miss it deeply, but i dont think it would be a very effective way to make money, but instead of just throwing away your old units, you can get some RoI(return on investment) back for them, like as south africa i build a lot of f-14s and beagle bombers, but when i get a more advanced bomber or a f35, my large stockpile of other units can become a burden to my resources, once i replace them, it would be nice to be able to sell them off, im sure lybia or iraq would love em.

and the best way i can think of making filters work is if we could somehow create an algorithm that is capable of attributing a rough value on a 0to1000 scale or so, that would be able to measure multiple attributes relating to a larger value; for example taking strength, soft and hard attack values, tech level, fuel/ammo capacity, and creating an “Attack” score. you could then see a list of units organized by this rough “attack” value, have a similar set of stats that replaces fuel/ammo capacity with ammo capacity/armor and call that the “defense” value.

Though this (the algorithm) would be a VERY good tool useful to all players, it could be as difficult to create as it is useful depending on how complicated the underlying values are to calculate already (fuel cap, ammo cap, ect.)

Obviously this would be a rough comparison, but in truth, all comparisons with military units are rough in real life. The unit with the higher “attack” value might not be the best attacking unit for your country if you are hitting a larger enemy with little supply, maybe you need the most fuel efficient unit, and terrain makes a difference too, so that wouldn’t be in the algorithm, but even in real life theres no way to fully account for these variables until you see the unit in combat, and even then, the training (def dept spending in-game) of the soldiers even comes into play, meaning that you may not see the same result with Lesotho you do with Poland.

If such a filter were to work on such an algorithm, I would be for that as well as the unit marketplace.
baltic1284
Lieutenant

Post by baltic1284 »

me military wise i wish u could research and invest in a unique tank for a region. instead of having to buy a t-80 for example invest in ur own. if u have researched reactive armour u could add this to a tank along with spaced or composite armour also spaced armour on any unit u wish. or u could research a unigue unit for ur country for each catagory infantry tank recon artillary air supply etc etc for all branches.
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

baltic1284 wrote:me military wise i wish u could research and invest in a unique tank for a region. instead of having to buy a t-80 for example invest in ur own. if u have researched reactive armour u could add this to a tank along with spaced or composite armour also spaced armour on any unit u wish. or u could research a unigue unit for ur country for each catagory infantry tank recon artillary air supply etc etc for all branches.
I don't know how realistic this would be, only 11 nations in the world have actually gone from the drawing board to production with tanks: Brazil, France, Germany, India, Israel, Japan, Russia/USSR, Sweeden, Switzerland, the UK, and the US. All of the others have either had help from one of these, revesed engineered or both.
Rhyus
Colonel

Post by Rhyus »

What about China
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

Rhyus wrote:What about China
All of China's early tanks were licenced produced versions of soviet models and there current tanks are being build with Russian assistance, sorry!
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Yea you can include china in that list too. Although china's designs have been based off the Russian T-80 and German lepard 2.

Also reguarding minor nations research ability into tanks. The game system can handle this. However you would have to design the tank before hand in the .UNITS file before you can research it ingame. And doing this for each nation would be a bit tidious. Although if you had a favorite country that you always play then it would be worth it for yourself todo this. Its one of the reasons I started my mod. There where a few unit techlines that I was missing for the countries I play, So I created them and made them researchable ingame. I have also stated on my mod post that anyone wanting a specific line of units for a country to let me know and I can add them in for future releases. Of which I have done for several countries.
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

I tend to go with what Jane's Defence weekly says, modding is a different story! If you have done all the research for the tech's then you could build a modded tank, say the Courland tank for the Baltic States.

Return to “Development - 2020”