Maintenance Suggestion

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

AEWHistory
Lieutenant

Maintenance Suggestion

Post by AEWHistory »

I don't know if this had been mentioned before, but here goes:

I'd like to suggest breaking the maint./training slider into its three component parts: army, navy, air force. In effect, you'd have three maint./training sliders, one for the army, one for the navy, and the last for the air force. Each would be moved separately so that the readiness level of each branch could be controlled instead of them being all lumped together. IMHO, this serves a few purposes.
1. It allows the maintenance of all three arms w/o maintaining them at the same qualitative level. The fact is, no nation actually provides funding to maintain quality balance, instead, while many nations may possess each arm, they routinely emphasize one branch more than the others, depending on their security needs.
2. More importantly, it allows nations to react more appropriately to threats. For example, if the USA and Mexico goes to war, the US Navy will play a tertiary role to that of the army and air force, whereas an American invasion of Cuba requires a robust naval response and much more modest air and ground assets. Dealing with a threat further away, such as, say, Liberia, it is entirely possible that an American player would not want to have to raise the maintenance on ground assets at all, but the naval and/or air assets could be put on high alert for a military response.

This is a situation I've run into in my games as Israel. In every war I was 'paying' for my navy--the increased maint. and training--during a full mobilization, and during a war against, say, Jordan, the INF is just about as useless an asset as it gets. OTOH, as the game goes one, it is great to sign Djibouti on as a friend when Iran becomes priggish and send the INF task force that I've based there off to the gulf to hurl some missiles at the Iranians. However, then I've got to pay the full maint. and training of the entire IDF and IAF, making this sort of response ridiculously expensive.

Anyway, I don't know if this would require more programming that it seems at first, or if this has already been discussed, but since I didn't recall seeing I figured I'd post the idea and see what the response was....

Thanks,
Aaron

Return to “Development - 2020”