Map Editor

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

nickcvader
Captain
Human: Yes

Map Editor

Post by nickcvader »

I think this would be essential to a Supreme Ruler 2030.

All of the things you can do with current modding, but more. Upload a flag, merge nations, select nation types, diplomacy, etc. Write a scenario, create Orbats, all within an in-game menu, basically picture the world map of the game, and have the editor present.
lovedreamer
Sergeant

Re: Map Editor

Post by lovedreamer »

Great idea!In my opinion,adding an option to trade a nation's territory will make this game interesting.In addition,allowing players to build new cities (metropolis,large city,village,or business sector ,and so forth )is supposed to be added in the next generation.
ollobrains
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ollobrains »

a map editor esp for fan made customer sceniros would add to modibility. Im guessing a set sized map u can then specify land types, population place industries roads and what not. And create youre own world map ( map sizes from small to massive) would be a oood idea.
Vuk-Wolf
Colonel

Post by Vuk-Wolf »

I definately agree with all u guys said!
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
BigWolf
Brigadier Gen.

Post by BigWolf »

Tbh, I would like to know how they've created the original ones for the game
With that knowledge it "might" be possible to edit/create ones without the Goats releasing their own editor
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We used an editor but often to make it capable of task #3 we had to break its ability to do task #2. It's in bad shape ATM.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Trppmdm
Corporal

Post by Trppmdm »

Balthagor wrote:We used an editor but often to make it capable of task #3 we had to break its ability to do task #2. It's in bad shape ATM.
Well then can't you at least give us a link to the map editor the first for f #3 the other for f #2 or is it do f #3 and f #2 won't work?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The tool is no longer capable of certain functions. It's not something we're going to release.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Smurfy
Sergeant

Post by Smurfy »

Aww... well what about modders having a go at it? You think it's possible?
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

I suppose it's possible for a modder to do it. However that means full knowledge of the system files that are required, a full design of a stand-alone editor, not to mention being more than proficient in C++.

Ontop of that, bug hunting, releasing the application, more bug hunting, re-releasing a different version, rinse and repeat.

Thats a lot of work for a modder. If you got a few of you doing it, then it's more plausible.

If it means editing the engine code, that would require written permission from BG. I vaguely remember a post a long while ago, and it mentioned BG not making the engine code public, so that's another obstacle to overcome.

I apologize for the negativity. Sometimes I'm a realist. [_]B
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

I would be willing to give this a try, if I could get some cooperation from BG.

The most important information that I would need is the structure of the .MAPX file. If the current map editor is written in C++, then this information would be stored in the .H "header" files for the program.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

I think most think of a user friendly editor and one that you can edit everything on the "map" through a graphical "map"/interface in the editor. Well for those people, keep dreaming, I don't think BG will put resourses to build such a editor. But what I would be more than satisfied with would be a simple Map editor where you could do some border/resource changes, in code(might not even have to be in the editor itself), and then the editor would display the new map/changes.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods

Return to “Development - 2020”