Supreme Ruler 2030? Ideas for next game in the series

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

a12356
Lieutenant

Re: Supreme Ruler 2030? Ideas for next game in the series

Post by a12356 »

KeanoManu wrote:I've played Supreme Ruler 2020 for a while now, and even though it was very hard to learn everything i would say it was definitely worth it. But i would like to come with a few suggestions to make next version in the series even better.
I don't know, but do BattleGoat see this game as purely a war-game or do the company has visions for more politics and diplomacy in it?
(Quote Shortened by Moderator. Read initial post for entire quote.)

This message was written over a long time, I started it over a month ago. So I've probably missed some important things.
Would be nice having those things...
Zrsch3
Private
Human: Yes

Post by Zrsch3 »

Sorry for my english...

I would like to have more options for espionage. For example to sabotage a particular facility, or find out research info about some technology (and reduce its time or cost). There was an idea about regions inside countries and possibility of civil wars, to use spies as leaders of rebellion can be great way how to turn profit that unstable situation.

More options would be very useful in calculating and could solve problem how to reach for declaring war against you, or how to provoce wars among other countries. It would be very good and board tactic strategy.

For example:

If there would be a possibility to help some country with fighing back a rebellion (my spy is a leader of this rebellion), then I can gain very good relationship with this country. If my spy will not be captured and if target country won't find out that is my spy.

I suppose that other possibility for espionage can be denouncing other country for my sabotage, assassination, outbreak of revolt, infiltration etc.

Espionage can be very powerful and enable many ways how to conquer all the world 8)
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

mixalns1231 wrote:i have a small request, although i agree with everything everyone else is saying. I'd like to be able to know when i've deployed my troops and for how long they've been on the 'front' lines.
and one more thing...shouldn't we (the players) have the final word on military stuff, i hate when i tell my units to do something, say stop trying to supply these people or reserve yourself now and the minister tells them something different, but i don't want absolute control just to be the final sayso, so that basically i can override the minister.
thanks
mixalns1231 - another way to manage units is in the ROE - rules of engagement - for individual units. So select one or multiple units, you can set initiative on those units how you see fit.
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

*DELETE*

Stupid comment
Last edited by Mission Space on Jul 20 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Darkreaper
Lieutenant

Post by Darkreaper »

what have you been reading? seriously
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

Darkreaper wrote:what have you been reading? seriously

Nothing lately, If your asking about what I said on world war II it's because there has been so many games about it, it got boring. At least for me.
RotTenno
Sergeant

Post by RotTenno »

I don't know if someone didn't already suggest that (i was a bit lazy reading through it all), but how about making the most (or even all) ressources finite?
So every ressource-hex has its limited amount of ressources it can provide, with natural ressources possibly growing back. This way there could be actually wars over ressources not just because a region doesn't have them from the beginning, but because they got depleted.
I imagine something where regions with low technological knowledge will slowly lose their possibility to grow food, because they do too much monoculture farming, too much erosion - desertification.
Water reserves will go down if overused (just take a look at spain) and could also have an impact on agriculture.
Oil, coal and other non-regenerative ressources (at least if you don't wait a few million years) will also be depleted if a region doesn't use techs like recycling (which could be a means of re-filling ressources or slowing down the use of them..or even "produce" a certain amount of ressources, like metal).
Also with growing know-how, the ressource loss per gained ressources would be reduced, as i.e. long-term wood harvesting can be done without losing the forests, while overexploitation (tropical woods in indochina) will have a negative effect in long-term view, maybe even leading to a depleted ressource-hex.

All that would create some nice pressure to find a long term sollution and a real feeling of crisis - eventually leading to wars. Trading techs could be significant to stabilze a region as it will be better able to meet its demands without taking from someone else and so on...

Well, i hope it was at least a bit coherent, so that my idea got through...a system like that would be a milestone in that genre.
nghtmre15
Major

Post by nghtmre15 »

I've been thinking about ways to implement resource depletion in a game like this, and have had mixed results in coming up with applications of the concept. I think that, from a programming standpoint, it isn't feasible to model depletion in an extremely concrete way, like assigning each hex a finite number of resource units that can ever be harvested from it. There would have to be a great deal of abstraction present. At the same time, I think that it would be highly imprudent from a gameplay perspective to make resources ever deplete completely, but to rather have stages of declining output that never actually fall to zero.

My current favorite idea (without regard to how much hardware/programming it would take to implement and any other logistical concerns) is a set of values (3, 4, or something like that) for each hex in the game that produces a given resource. The first value is the original output, the final value would be a small fraction of the original output, and the numbers in-between would represent a gradual degradation from the first to the final values. The game tracks if the hex is producing output on any given day and, if it is, it adds 1 to a value that tracks how many days a given space has been producing the resource in question. Once a threshold is reached (say, 5 years, as an example), the game ticks the hex's resource output down to the next value on the list, thus reducing the hex's output and creating an incentive to build new mines/derricks/whatever in a different hex to increase output. Over time, a nation's own territory will be heavily depleted, creating a need to acquire new deposits.

This could also work in reverse to allow for the regeneration of certain resources, like lumber. If a hex is not used on a particular day, subtract 1/2 from the tracker value and let the process work in reverse to simulate regrowth. Some resources, like Agriculture and Fresh Water, might need a different system, but this would at least create interesting strategic decisions with regard to resource management, and would also prevent many regions from becoming self-sufficient, thus resolving one of my main gripes with the SR series' economic system.

Again, I do not claim to know how much overhead this would add to savegame sizes, processor use, development time, or any other considerations like that.
In a world without sound, dancing... falling... I was snow.
Vuk-Wolf
Colonel

Post by Vuk-Wolf »

Supreme ruler 2030? Oops i think we willl need to go on other planet to live :O :o Its should be something like Space ruler xD
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

Cold War ftw
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Supreme ruler 2030? Oops i think we willl need to go on other planet to live :O Its should be something like Space ruler xD
When you look at 2020 and 2030 you think future. You think space and advanced electronics/machines. However 2020 is only a lil over 10 years away, 2030 20 years. How much have we acualy changed since 2000? How much have we changed since 1990? Now how much do you think is going to happen? Also consider we are going into a global ressecion. Now it is technicaly possible for a mass exodus. However economics prevent it from happening. Not to mention the lack of interest in doing such an endevour. Now you put some sort of alien or space born global threat, Then the desire could excede the economic's and it could happen. But still I dont see this happening in the next 10-20 years. And current space wars would be somthing akin to shooting BB guns at unopened pop cans.
Vuk-Wolf
Colonel

Post by Vuk-Wolf »

It doesnt need to be 2030. It could be 2050. But no one knows what could hapent
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

How much have we changed since 1990?
Well, there was no World Wide Web in 1990 :) We'd be having this conversation with dial-up BBSes, and buying our books in bookstores, and listening to mixed tapes on our cassette walkmans :)
Darkreaper
Lieutenant

Post by Darkreaper »

Supreme Ruler 3010?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Somewhere down the line it would be cool if there was a scifi expansion,soemthing like "youve
conquered the world,now its time for the stars".
A sr20-- that evolves into a 4x space game after you win your world.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM

Return to “Development - 2020”