OnLive PC game service.Worth a look ?

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

OnLive PC game service.Worth a look ?

Post by tkobo »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47079.html

Came across this today, it looks very promising.
When you get back from the conference,perhaps you should look into this .
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: OnLive PC game service.Worth a look ?

Post by Balthagor »

Daxon and I visited the booth at GDC and chatted with them for a good 10mins. A very interesting concept...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Almost never hurts to be reasonably sceptical.
Chuckle TM
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

I think the system will greatly detsroy other systems, but it won't replace them. It would be nice not having to worry about my graphics card when I get new games. :-)
a12356
Lieutenant

Post by a12356 »

That would be the end of singleplayer.

Also it would have a huge problem with the slow internet ifrastructure.Thumb down.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

I see this failing. You need a realy good internet connection to be able to play. (not just high bandwidth, but high low latency will be more important). Now I know they said somthing like they believe that 70 percent of the US has a good enough connection to connect. Thats a number that I think is well off. Maybe they are counting in satilite internet users, Or CDMA *high bandwidth* users, But those connections will not work as the latency will be too high. Not to mention that allot of the rural area's around the country that have so called highspeed internet, But it should be labled as high bandwidth internet, Becouse they are still going to get over 100ms to CA.

I dunno, maybe they will get it right, and get the latency issue under 50ms. I dont think so, and I think that is the biggist issue here, but lets say they did. Is the target audience (one with low end systems). Most of us here probly already surpase the intended system requirements, and would get a better exsperience by having it on our own systems instead.

So of the people left who have a good internet, and a poor computer, and are into gaming enough that they would buy into this type of system. They are going to have the latest console systems. So when they end up using OnLive, Its going tobe as comparable as the console, so why should they change?

The only people that can truely win are mac users, since they will be able to play the games made for PC now. But they can get pissed on.
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

Thats the weakness in the system. It would work great in Japan where they have a high latency internet connection, but here there are few people that could run it at the moment.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

My area could handle it fine.And it would probably push speeds up as companies scrambled to compete over their shares of the systems users.
Chuckle TM
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Plus it would be a great system to have if cable providers get thier way and start charging for bandwidth used......
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Great for them...maybe....
I dont think they will be able to turn back the clock on that one,but almost anything is possible.
Personally, even if they did manage to do so,i think the following revolt would make them give it up fairly fast,as people scrambled to move to any company that didnt.Even though said policy would only really have a large impact on the few,the perceived loss to the many would cause a huge outcry.
Chuckle TM
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

PC Gamer - July 2009

On Live! Vaporware? Definitely not.

Couple of high lights

Nvidia is a development partner
Steve Perlman, Founder of OnLive, used to work at Apple and helped to develop Quicktime.
The OnLive service works via proprietary new video compression technology they call Interactive Video Compression.
Perlman has plenty of experience with video codec and compression.
Beta starts this summer.

At release it will offer titles from partners including:
Atari
THQ
Codemasters
Epic
EA
Ubisoft
Take-Two
Eidos
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

To me, it seems a logical next step in the remote access area of computing.Its interesting to see it works off some form of streaming video.
Remote access that ive toyed with so far, seems to be limited by the systems involved.For instance ,you dont seem to be able to play a game on pc A from pc B if pc B's graphics card cant handle the game also.So limits exist as determined by the accessing pc's capability, but if they found a way around that by streaming the information.....
Chuckle TM
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Think of it this way. Your mouse and keyboard cables run to thier servers. the server acts like your PC by processing all of the CPU and GPU stuff, and then is streamed back to your PC like a video.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

I wonder how they get around load times and "front ending"

I mean with a video,it has a beginning and end.So the video information can in large part be transferred to your system before it plays.So the information/video's your watching information is already on your machine before it plays,but how do you do that with a game, where instead of predefined information you have dynamic occurance.

That makes if more of a webcam system, than just streaming video.Webcams ive setup and toyed with always have loads and delays.Both would be major problems when playing a game.
Chuckle TM

Return to “Development - 2020”