In Game Status Lines

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

In Game Status Lines

Post by Balthagor »

So from another conversation here the design of the SR2010 status lines came up again. These where located in the bottom right of the map, just above the GUI and provided players a feed of information about what was going on. It became, however, an unwieldy beast with more information that was useful and was therefore dropped during the development of Supreme Ruler 2020. I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on such systems, the benefits and pitfalls.

One suggestion has been made to make a "console" system using hotkey <~> that could contain line after line of information (minister queued unit, unit killed, region falls, war declared) but would it be navigable with so much information? Would anyone use it? And making the content of any such status lines customizable involves adding an associated interface that would likely only get used by the most advanced of users and intimidate the more average users.

So, what do you think?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Re: In Game Status Lines

Post by SoB »

put in the more i get know about the gam the beter more info is good
You plastic soldiers i will turn you in to real soldiers

CPO Mzinyati
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

I like the console idea for the status lines... With, perhaps, the ability to filter out events?...
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

The way we get Emails now is a good way to get news. What I would sugest is exspanding that format.

If you have it set to a lower resolution the email and map are in the same spot seperated by a tab. (so you can click on the tab to either select map, or email). To exspand that I would sugest puting in two more tabs like the email tab is currently. (so you would have the map tab, and 3 email tabs). Each tab would be customizable for what info you would recieve. (the choices would be what ever BG decides it can give the player)

All the stuff we currently have, But I would include options for:

Own region news economy, (stuff like shortages, new buildings,)
Own region news military, (War decs, new military buildings, Local and nieghbor Defcon change/satilited launches)
Own region news diplomacy (new trade offers, offers accepted, refused, counterd, old trades canceled, not fulfilled)
World region news economy, (stuff like shortages, new buildings)
World region news military, (War decs, new military buildings, Defcon Changes, Satilite launches)
World region news diplomacy (new trade offers, offers accepted, refused, counterd, old trades canceled, not fulfilled)
Research Tech level increase region
Research Tech level increase world
Research complete region
Research complete world
Unit loss region
Unit loss world
Unit loss ally
Unit loss enemy
Region fall
Of course the differnt random events too
Maybe even unit supply issues (only triggered after 1 week of unit out of supply)
And what ever else that I am not thinking of right now that should be on the list.

But all those would be options for each window. The player would then choose which ones he wanted active for each window (all none, or selected ones) Understand what I am saying? I could probly make a picture of what I am invisioning if it would help.
MaxRiga
Colonel

Post by MaxRiga »

... lai dzivo latvija !
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

So far each of these has problems;

SoB: we have to have some limits on the qty of information or we'll create overload in the player
Draken: a filter system would require GUI and add complexity. Console alone is of course possible.
Ruges: That's a lot more GUI and a bunch more complex, plus all the new emails massively increases localization which is already a problem for us.
Max: Your system is essetially Uber-status lines, the visual impact would be worse than the existing status lines.

Feel free to expand on your ideas or propose others, this is more of a long term question.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
MaxRiga
Colonel

Post by MaxRiga »

well, my idea is simple - sr2020 is not super 3d graphic game. The idea of sr2020 is not to play beautiful battles but geo-pilitical strategy. Since u play strategy u must be updated with most important information and the wide screen of world map is not so important in this case. In this case Interface of the game should be more for information but not world map. In fact, if there wouldn't be such hectic mess of 2000 units but regular army groups ( like in other games ), the wide world map wouldn't be needed either.
... lai dzivo latvija !
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

I dont see how it would be that much more GUI. Here is a rough picture of what I mean.
In the circle you see there are now 3 email tabs. each email will show its own email depending on the settings you choose. You can only view one tab at a time. (allot like it now when switching between the email and the map tab).
In this picture you see a good way to implement a way so the player can decide what each email tab shows. Very custumizable.

The good thing about doing it this way is allot of the old code can just be copied and modified for the new GUI.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

If this is for a next title ,im all for it.If your talking about a possible update to GC,im against it.

Why not add an email section to each minister ?And have emails go to the minister that has the most ties to the email ?Where we can go and look at the window they collect in.

This would spread them out so you didnt have information overload,IE all of it stacked in one spot.And it would make getting the data easier as we'd know where to look for that specific catagory.

So this way, the military advisor would have all emails about military issues like lost units,units under attack,killed enemy units, etc.. collect in a new email/ communications window added to his section.
With diplomatic emails sent to that advisers new window,etc....
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

@ruges; each of those e-mail tabs is GUI section, all those menu options are GUI, it's just player perception. I'm not ruling it out, just listing concerns.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Red Dawn
Captain

Post by Red Dawn »

I'm all for In Game status lines and definately would like to see it implemented. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Even something in the form of an email would be ideal. Or alternatively if you go into the diplomacy section there is a news feed. why not expand upon that and incorporate a similar feature in the military or operations section. General info about unit losses and location with being able to physically go to that location on the game map will suit me just fine.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

So if we said that we want no more than 5 kinds of notifications to appear in status, what would you pick?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

what are our options to choose from? and how would they show?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

pretend any options and we've found "the perfect place". I'm more trying to understand what feedback we're not managing to convey that is making ppl think a status line on screen would solve. It's a bit brainstorming...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
warriorsoflight
Lieutenant

Post by warriorsoflight »

could you put an option for the world economy. For example, how much oil is in the world, whats the total amount produced and consumed. this will give you a good ideal of how much you could build your economy on the resources within your empire

Return to “Development - 2020”