Some things for the next update

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tommygun
Sergeant

Some things for the next update

Post by tommygun »

I have a few suggestions for the next update

1. A way to "lock out" the Defense minister's building of some unit designs, throughout the game you collect tons of these and doesn't neccesarily want to build them all, and having your minister decide like now, then you wind up with tons of bridging units and supply trucks. |O

2. A minister priority like "Keep domestic prices at break-even" that simply keeps your domestic markups as close 0% as possible depending on supply and demand, right now i can obviously lock the minister out of some goods to solve this but then i have to manually adjust the export prices all the time as they change

3. A faster way to scrap tons of buildings in a large country, if you for example want to remove all petrol plants, maybe something like "scrap all of same type" would do the job a lot easier.

4. A little less AI focus on garrisons. Currently the AI overuses garrisons, even when they are at peace, leading to budget deficits or when they suddenly go to war they dont have the reserves needed to deploy their forces because everyone is garrisoned, and then fight defensively.

5. Related to the point above, A easy way to remove all own garrisons with a lot less clicks than now, conquering large regions means a lot of garrison removing if you dont use them so much.
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" -
Sir Winston Churchill
powercell
Colonel

Re: Some things for the next update

Post by powercell »

2. A minister priority like "Keep domestic prices at break-even" that simply keeps your domestic markups as close 0% as possible depending on supply and demand, right now i can obviously lock the minister out of some goods to solve this but then i have to manually adjust the export prices all the time as they change
I'd like a way to lock domestic price without locking everything else.
4. A little less AI focus on garrisons. Currently the AI overuses garrisons, even when they are at peace, leading to budget deficits or when they suddenly go to war they dont have the reserves needed to deploy their forces because everyone is garrisoned, and then fight defensively.
I agree. AI should not use garrisons as primary defensive force (unless region has no build cap).
binarysoul
Private

Post by binarysoul »

tommygun wrote:I agree. AI should not use garrisons as primary defensive force (unless region has no build cap).
I think the garrison is the single biggest problem in the game. Yes, I agree that it should be in the game and used as a primary defensive force. However, they are too powerful for the unit sizes that go up against them. For example, in every game that I've played, I've yet to see California or Texas take over Mexico. Statistically, either should overpower Mexico. Both take large areas of land but get bogged down when they hit the city garrisons. Garrisons should slow down and damage an advancing army but rarely should it stop them cold time and time again. Furthermore, I think this leads to a slowing down of the game as the AI then retreats and repairs units. If I could make one change in the game it would be to reduce garrisons to about 25% of their current strength.

I must also say that I like the Expansion pack. Nice features.
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

I'd like to propose less civilian casualties during artillery bombardment (like up to 10x times less civilian casualties). So atleast I can bombard garrisons out of their fixed positions. And 2nd, that I'm not left up with a dead dusty city after only a couple of weeks of bombardment. 8) And third, because...well it makes genocide to easy in the game, but the game doesn't reward u with the statistical civilian casualty deaths like it did in SR2010 :D (I know, I know, out of line but fix it then! I don't want to murder my taxpayers :-) )
CCCP232
Sergeant

Post by CCCP232 »

How about also fixing the ability to change your government style, and granting the ability for the AI to build (if they don't already) and actually use their nuclear weaponry, as so far I have not once seen any AI country use their nuclear weapons, even when on the verge of being defeated. Also, I'm not sure if its me or what but in my game manual it says that I should be able to build missile silos and produce silo based missiles, but I have not been able to? Is this feature broken, was it taken out, or has not yet been implemented?
nghtmre15
Major

Post by nghtmre15 »

Missile silos were removed from the game before release and are not going to be reimplemented.
In a world without sound, dancing... falling... I was snow.
CCCP232
Sergeant

Post by CCCP232 »

I also would like to see a new diplomatic option for alliance organizations (ex. NATO, Warsaw Pact, CSTO, SCO, etc.) to allow multiple nations to ally together with each other as opposed to each nation allying with each other nation separately, more of a collective defensive pact and/or collective formal alliance with each country involved allied with each other one and forming official power blocs. Obviously allowing each nation the ability to accept or decline the invitation and possibly allowing majority vote for new nations to be added into the alliance should be implemented into this.

Another thing I would like to see is a simple message to tell me when two countries have gone to war/made peace (which should be able to be turned off in options menu to prevent a spammed inbox when playing with high volatility).

One more idea is the ability to create puppet regimes in a conquered country by giving back their loyal territory and 'sovereignty' once their defeated, either by capitol or full territorial conquering, in exchange for full diplomatic relations, formal alliance, always high government relations, regardless of public opinion, which should also intensify the low approval rating effects in said countries, and changing their government type to your choice. This feature could be implemented by a message with an option for full annexation into your nation or 'regime change'. This is something often done in countries around the world (ex. cold war Europe, US's Iraq/Afghanistan, etc.) and would present a more realistic simulation if implemented. I would find this feature useful for when you already have a self sufficient economy and more, and potentially invaluable, territory could only burden your economy with higher consumption. Perhaps also allowing you to build on/lease foreign land (maybe 1 hex or so per agreement) for military or commercial use as also done IRL in poorer nations who need hard currency and with close allies (ex. US Guantanamo Bay, Soviet bases in Cuba/Europe, American bases worldwide, Chinese owned oil fields in Africa, etc.).

Only a few ideas I had that would be cool to see in the game :D

(PS if these features are in the Global Crisis expansion I apologize as I have not seen any actual info on the features in the expansion. Ive seen generalized '20 new scenarios, improved interface' and such, but no further details on these new features)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Puppet Regimes and Diplomatic Organizations would be very large changes, therefore not something that will be added to Supreme Ruler 2020 this late in development.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
CCCP232
Sergeant

Post by CCCP232 »

Balthagor wrote:Puppet Regimes and Diplomatic Organizations would be very large changes, therefore not something that will be added to Supreme Ruler 2020 this late in development.
I don't think diplomatic organizations would be a very big change. Just the ability to ally a few countries together instead of each one separately shouldn't be that big of a change.

Puppet regimes would be a huge change though, perhaps implemented into a future game? :D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Diplomatic organizations would need a whole new section in the interface, AI coding and additional data structures behind the scenes. Huge changes.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Frank
Captain

Post by Frank »

tommygun wrote:(...)
3. A faster way to scrap tons of buildings in a large country, if you for example want to remove all petrol plants, maybe something like "scrap all of same type" would do the job a lot easier.(...)
I fully second that suggestion, it would be very helpful.

Having hotkeys for the Scrap and the Destroy functions would already be nice to have

Along that, a "Filter By..." feature for building would be great too.

Another little thing that could make mass production less intensive for our poor articulations and mouses, would be the ability to dial the desired number of units to produce rather than having to click hundred of times.

The ability to input user defined dynamic entries already exist with the "rename" feature so I assume that I could be done without excessive dev time consumption, right?
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

i think garsion is the big problem

mabey weakin them and limte the number in each hex by population eg city can easly get a full complamet of garrsions but a small isolated faclity with low poulation (under 500) can get one unit
You plastic soldiers i will turn you in to real soldiers

CPO Mzinyati
CCCP232
Sergeant

Post by CCCP232 »

I have also noticed that when an AI goes to war, they obviously raise their DEFCON level to the highest they can, typically 1, but upon their winning the war, they still remain at DEFCON 2 and do not phase down their DEFCON level for the rest of the game even though they are no longer at war. This would be good to fix in next update.
Cutlass
Major

Post by Cutlass »

Things that I would like to see, that hopefully would not be too much of a problem:

1) When you are working with your missile stock, I would like to see a "confirm" button brought up when you hit the "scrap" button. There have been several times when I have accidentally scrapped missiles that I was merely trying to turn off the launch authority for.

2) In the section of the State Department where you can bring up the display that tracks your score as well as the number of units you have lost and the number of kills you have inflicted, I would like to see follow on displays that could be activated by clicking other popup buttons that would:

a) Track the losses you have suffered by unit type. In my current game I have recently lost just one unit. I haven't been able for the life of me to figure out which unit I lost. It doesn't seem to be any of the important ones I would have to replace right away, but it would be nice to know what was hit so I could figure out where I was hit.

b) Track the kills you have inflicted by:

i) Region the unit was from.

ii) Type of unit that was killed
Proud member of the Spherical World Association. An organization dedicated to encouraging game designers to create state of the art strategy games in which the actual shape of the world is used.
notsobamf
Private

Post by notsobamf »

1. I would like to see a scenario made that has ally's in place. The GC campaign has one built alliance between the US ans Canada but just the one. I like the storyline but 9 times outta 10 China and Russia go to war.

2. Better AI diplomacy. All too often the AI will go to war with far too many countries i.e. Russia will often end up fighting Estonia, Poland, Georgia Rep., Ukraine, China, Finland, among others and it just gets into a stand still or losing on all fronts. Nations should think about what they have on going on before they start more wars. If Russia would attack one or two small coutnries before taking on larger ones it could beat them all but it doesnt and pays dearly for it. Also on this topic, why wont the AI ever settle peace with each other. If both nations are not gaining ground and not likely to ever win they should settle peace. Not every war should be one of annexation.

3. Better military AI it seems to me the AI doesnt ever mass a force to attack with after its opening attacks of a war, i.e. the US and Mexico the US will get halfway through Mexico and its pretty much done with attacking. Large urban areas become uber fortresses and instead of massing to take it over they send one or two units to there death.

4. Debt. Something should be done about debt in the game. The AI spends and spends racking up massive debt(i've seen the US at 20 trillion in debt) and nothing happens. A nation or gov't of a nation should face a penalty for large ongoing debt. Thus at times a lack of money forcing peace upon two warring nations. I suppose you have major consequences of a careless nation being anything from military forces refusing to fight, a halting of research or even deposing the current gov't.

5. I know its probably to late in development but it would be nice to see nations have goals such as Russia trying to retake what it lost or Serbia trying to remake Yugoslavia. Along with that the ability to change your nation when you meet certain requirements such as the USSR or reforming a nation in shattered states or making new ones i.e. the CSA. Revolts would be nice too. In an area that has low loyalty and a low approval rating they should revolt.

Return to “Development - 2020”