Satellites

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Satellites

Post by Ruges »

In my current mod I have been working on some new units. One of them is a high altitude recon plan. Its kinda supposed to mimic somthing between a satilite and a high altitude plane. And this got me to thinking. I am suprized you guys did not just make the satilites a unit like this. Great a new value in "H" So you would have, Low air, Mid air, High air, and Low orbit, High Orbit. Then you could asign satilites either a low orbit or a high orbit path. They would have thier varies spoting ranges and strength. And could have stats on them for missle distruction, Or even put the capability of puting missles on them. This would also give you the ability to shoot down enemy satilites.

After that the only thing that would need tobe done would add a new line AR or AS Column to add the ability to other units the ability to shoot down objects in low orbit or high orbit. Then just add some new units and tech requirements. Make it so the units require a lanch pad and aeorspace fab and satcom. The hex would also require an airfeild so they would have a reserve spot.

I think this would add a good little bit to the game, and is probly not all that hard to add it. Would just be time consuming geting the balance and the data correct. At the very least if you guys could add in the two new stats to colum H, and then add in att9 and att10. which would be low orbit attack and high orbit attack.
Last edited by Ruges on Aug 25 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Satilies

Post by Balthagor »

You're talking about changing data structures here and adding a whole new "layer" to the combat system, not something we're going to do post release.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

I spose you are thinking of the difficulties in adding it all into the UI. However thier might be an alternative around having to change the UI. Put the visable data in the description section of the unit info. Becouse if you think about it there is already hidden data for unit info, such as spoting strength.

But you dont think you would be able to add Value 8=Low Orbit, and Value 9=High orbit to Column H? Then Column DG and DH are unused. Add in the ability for column DG the ability to attack spectype 8, and DH to attack spectype 9. I would not think that would be too hard?

From there we would have the ability to create the new units. And either just add the info to the description, or take it futher indepth and add in a new UI to handle the stats.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We'd still need lots of code, such as not allowing units with "land attack" ranges to hit orbital units...

Data structure changes are a big risk of regression errors.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Balthagor wrote: "land attack" ranges to hit orbital units...
I dont think that would be true. Since currently units only attack what they are given stats to attack threw columns AL-AT. Its just like a high air unit cannot be hit by a ground unit.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

It's still a matter of making the engine understand new attack variables.

We're just not going to touch the data structure at this point in the development. Sorry.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Do like I have been doing for my mod. Just copy old data and then change it to what you need it. For instance take the High air data structure, It can pretty much follow the same formula. The only thing you would need to change in it is remove where it inputs the UI data to it, Change that its spec type number is 8 instead of 5. And then change it so it does not recieve dmg from ATT5, But should instead recieve dmg from ATT9.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

You're talking hundreds of lines of code not to mention expanding the memory allocated to handle more variables. I'm not even the one who would have to program it and I can see half a dozen potential problems. 10pts for effort, but just not going to happen...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Ok so when I was sleeping last night, I came up with the perfect way satilites should work on the map. It would be a whole new map overlay. It could be triggered on and off (probly would have a shortcut on the map so it could be quickly done). This overlay would have 10-50 lines going east to west (these lines would also have sort of a wave in them for gfx pleasure). When you launched a satilite it would go into orbit and cling to one of these lines. Now depending on that units stats, you could give it orders from here. However it would have to follow a few rules. It could only move from east to west. and north to south or south to north. They could also hold current location. However they cannot move west to east. Anytime a satilite ran out of fuel it would crash and burn. You would have the option to toggle views, Which would be only see your own, Only see your allies, only see your enemies, see everyones. Of course you would only be able to see enimies, and others sats if you could spot them.

You would also have several types of satilies.
Com sats would work the same way they do now. No real function, You just sorta launch them and have them fly around, and they do thier job automaticaly.

Recon sats, could be given the order to move west, north or south. or hold postion. They could be given the order for wide scan, or focused scan (geting its value from the .SPOTING file) With a wide scan being scaning a large area but only spoting low stealth units, and focused scan having it scan a small area but having it spot higher stealth units. You would also have a different varitiy of recon sats you can research to give differnt stats.

Missle sats, These satilites would have the ability load missles. and fire them at the ground.

Anti sats, These satilites would have weapons that could be used to attack other satilites, (either supply based or missle based depening on the version)

Supply shuttles, These would be like our current space ships, fragile little things (although more advanced ones would become avail) They would have the ability to refuel and resupply other ships, satilies, stations. They would also have the ability to move to the east.

Space stations, These would have a varitiy of functions depending on what version it is. You could set it to self, Allies, world, UN, non un. meaning only you, or only you and your allies, Or everyone (except enemies), Or UN (except enemies), Or non UN (except enemies). could have access to it, And only those who had a space program could have access to it. If it was a research one, it would give bonus to research (or maybe anouther research slot). A diplomacy mod would give relations bonus to the group you have access. A fabrication mod would give the ability to manufacture stuff, (give the ability to resupply shuttles so you dont have to launch new ones into space so much). (destroying a station that a group can use would loose relations with that entire group).

I'll work up some concept art if I get the chance. I think this could add a huge layer to the game. And would defenatly be a unique feature that these sort of games are missing, And would fit into the current mechanics of the game.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

this would be epic if you add it. I would certainly use it. It probably wont get into 2020, but maybe the next game title if it is set in the future. Would be nice for 2020. I can only see one problem - complication, unless other people helped by designing certain parts.

Also, will the shuttles be able to fly anywhere, or just on those lines? Also will there be attack ones to shoot others down, destroy or even take over enemy stations and sats, and can they drop a weapon (maybe a nuke) to attack ground targets? Will they be able to destroy green eyed, red haired serving wenches on their serving station??
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
catatonic
General

Re: Satellites

Post by catatonic »

Doesn't seem like it would be hard to model a satellite that is in synchronous orbit - it could just sit stationary in a hex just like a landed aircraft or building. Give it an air-type of High-Air plus 1 and no one could shoot it down. Give it max stealth, a huge spotting range and defensive values and add offensive values or missiles if you like.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
Darkreaper
Lieutenant

Post by Darkreaper »

actually i think your idea for satellites is great, i find it quite surprising that no one has put that into a game yet. Can i just like steal all your ideas? would that be ok? :D
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

Darkreaper wrote:actually i think your idea for satellites is great, i find it quite surprising that no one has put that into a game yet. Can i just like steal all your ideas? would that be ok? :D
Flattery will get you every-where.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
Darkreaper
Lieutenant

Post by Darkreaper »

that a yes? :lol:

Return to “Development - 2020”