Diplomatic treaty for land

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tonystowe
Colonel

Diplomatic treaty for land

Post by tonystowe »

I still cannot believe that the AI and player cannot surrender land to the other as part of diplomatic agreements. This would be a great feature and as part such deals the UN should have some role to ensure that the deals are not over the edge.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Diplomatic treaty for land

Post by Balthagor »

"land trading" as a feature was part of SR2010, but no one was ever able to make much in the way of suggestions for how the AI should go about deciding to let go of a piece of land. You'd need to dig up some old conversations about land trading to move this idea back into the realm of possibility IMHO.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

I'm going to assume that the land trades are to clear up the cluttered map after a region falls to multiple regions.

My thoughts, if possible add in a land trade treaty.This treaty pops up (pausing the game of course)when a region falls against multiple opponents. The treaty should ask either to have "split land" or "Leave as is" When that trade is initiated , If the answer is the split land option, the AI checks all the land of the warring regions in the former region. Then it splits all the conquered lands according to proxcimity to each home region and strength of supply while trying to keep each regions land in the same area or connected to each other. The AI already does this when a region falls , it splits the remaining land for the victors. If it could be done with land already occupied during the war it might help from having all those little land islands in defeated territories. You might not like the deal the AI gives ya with but at least it would make it easier for your supply lines.

The only other time I could see someone wanting to trade land would be during the war. I can see where this would be useful but I would rather wait till the region fell. Land could change hands several times during the war.
ollobrains
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ollobrains »

got any follow up suggestions tony?
jeffb
Warrant Officer
Location: Skem, Outer Pieland or right side of the Pennines, or right side of Pennines, LANCS

Post by jeffb »

Should have the ability to buy land, i'm invading the Comoros as South Africa but there is a 4th island, Mayotte which is French. You should be able to buy it, if you have enough cash.
Wigan turnin Blue, My Ass!!!
Wigan RLFC
Ancient & Loyal 1872
Cherry & White Army
Rhyus
Colonel

Post by Rhyus »

I agree. I like to give northern Ireland to Ireland when i play as the UK, at the moment i have to switch to MP to do this now having a trade land option in the diplo menu would same me alot of time. Also you could buy one hex on an allies land close to one of your enemy's and then build a military complex there, as you cant build on allies land this would be great way for having military bases all around the world.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

I would start with the wort of the hexes involved. all that the hex can produce*current market prices*365days. Now, The AI should never trade hexes to a Country that is not an enemy or has bad relation or casus belli. And the AI should be reluctant to sell loyal hexes. And the AI could offer hexes to an nation that it has good relations with or ally that is loyal hex to the ally/friend. The AI may request hexes if any nation has hexes loyal to it or/and of great economic benifit. And eg. a landlocked nation could rent a harbour town.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Rhyus
Colonel

Post by Rhyus »

I disagree i think the AI should in certain cases trade land with an enemy. It could be part of a peace treaty deal or if been at war with a neighbor give land back that was taken and make peace.
tonystowe
Colonel

Post by tonystowe »

ollobrains wrote:got any follow up suggestions tony?
Sorry for the delayed reply to this thread. I probably had some ideas around the time this was posted but have since been sidetracked with other issues. With that said and having wasted all of your time...

I agree with Hulla in his assessment of the "math" needed for the AI to make a decision to parting with any land. Especially any land possessing towns, villages, cities or possible resource hexes. Additionally, the AI needs to understand the purpose of the transaction; i.e. to end a war, to encourage another region to stop an action, etc.

It is never "cool" to mention another game; however, the Civilization games handled this event in a masterful way. Cities annexed depending on loyalty, cities being a "tradeable" commodity in the diplomacy to cause action by an AI player (start a war, stop a war, etc).
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Rhyus wrote:I disagree i think the AI should in certain cases trade land with an enemy. It could be part of a peace treaty deal or if been at war with a neighbor give land back that was taken and make peace.
that could be an exception if you are concluding a peace
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
sugarkane
Lieutenant

Post by sugarkane »

maybe a limit aswel, otherwise there is a huge exploit, particuarly if you are Russia. People already moan about the tech trading exploit. This would be even bigger
Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair

George Burns

Return to “Development - 2020”