AI use of bridging units

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tonystowe
Colonel

AI use of bridging units

Post by tonystowe »

I have watched many AI regions using bridging units in a combat role instead of a combat support role. Additionally, the AI appears to build alot of these types of units.
Squigbunny
Captain

Re: AI use of bridging units

Post by Squigbunny »

Did you see them on their own or were they stacked with combat units. If they're stacked I'd be less concerned, otherwise I agree with the point you raise.
tonystowe
Colonel

Post by tonystowe »

Squigbunny wrote:Did you see them on their own or were they stacked with combat units. If they're stacked I'd be less concerned, otherwise I agree with the point you raise.
Each event showed a line of them heading for the combat area and engaging/being engaged by my troops. They were stacked together, but not so much with other combat units. Additionally, they were not even near a bridge/river hex when this occurred.

Thanks
ollobrains
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ollobrains »

they als odouble as supply and engineering assist units u may find i think
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

what factors/conditions should the AI be looking for to call this units and what orders should be given?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Squigbunny
Captain

Post by Squigbunny »

Balthagor wrote:what factors/conditions should the AI be looking for to call this units and what orders should be given?
I think the AI should check for transport category units unstacked with combat units alone (as a class) in combat and default move - if initiative permits - a retreat to the nearest base (assuming they survive long enough that is...)
tonystowe
Colonel

Post by tonystowe »

Balthagor wrote:what factors/conditions should the AI be looking for to call this units and what orders should be given?
The bridging units are a combat support unit, meaning that they should not move towards the front unless the AI has a need to move units across a water obstacle. I do not agree that the AI should ever send these units forward to resupply, he loses too many of them to quickly.

First, I do not understand the base criteria that the AI uses to build the units that it does build so I am not sure that I can offer a legitimate answer to your question.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

The bridging units are a combat support unit, meaning that they should not move towards the front unless the AI has a need to move units across a water obstacle. I do not agree that the AI should ever send these units forward to resupply, he loses too many of them to quickly.
I see what your saying but engineers are also used for other things in combat. Most of those things however are not being used by the AI. I have yet to see them use engineers to build things faster. I guess they attack fortifications when they hit them but havent noticed if they make a difference because the AI doesnt build those either.

AI though uses them for one thing only , they use them for front line combat troops. I dont blame the AI , the stats on them are pretty good for a tech level of 0. The stats are way better than a BMP-2 which is a tech level 82. All regions should have them but the AI is not building them to do the job the should be doing which is supporting an assault (not conducting one)on a fortified area, provide bridging, or to help build something anywhere.

Im going to take a wild guess but I think the AI builds so many engineers because its the best infantry it has in its inventory of designs. I hate to suggest to lower the stats because they need those stats if they are to perform some of those duties we want them to do in combat.

The only other thing I can think of to do which Im sure is impossible , is to split the unit and then use the split unit to be attached to another unit. Example Light Infantry would be the same but Light Infantry/eng would be able to cross rivers, attack fortifications. For other engineering operations like building , you would have to use a full unit.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Does the AI know when a bridge is out ?I would think it has the basis at least to know,as when it takes a hex with a broken bridge,the reppair mechanism kicks in.

So,wouldnt making bridging units move to bridges under reppair,be a good first step for making the AI use its bridging units more intelligently ?
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
tonystowe
Colonel

Post by tonystowe »

tkobo wrote:Does the AI know when a bridge is out ?I would think it has the basis at least to know,as when it takes a hex with a broken bridge,the reppair mechanism kicks in.

So,wouldnt making bridging units move to bridges under reppair,be a good first step for making the AI use its bridging units more intelligently ?
I do not believe your approach would work as the AI would not utilize the bridging units unless a bridge was out - or so I believe. Keep in mind that I do not understand the code in which the AI determines:

A) its path, nor do I know if the AI attempts more than one calculation to make the "best" path decision. Players are given choices of Quickest, Fastest, Normal - does the AI have these choices as well and if so how does the AI chose which one to use?

B) When a unit is given an order, is it given the order to retake a hex as its primary task and fight as necessary - OR - go kill the enemy unit and retake hex territory as its secondary task.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Im not putting it forth as a total solution,but as a small step that covers the situation of a bridge being out along the wanted advance of the AI.It wont address river crossings where this is no bridge at all for instance.

But it seems to me, if its possible, that it would allow the tanks to use the bridges,if they hold the hex,instead of just being stuck there unable to cross at all because the bridge is out.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
tonystowe
Colonel

Post by tonystowe »

I would like to see an answer from BG regarding more specifics on the pathing, how the AI choses a path (if multiple are look at), etc.

Return to “Development - 2020”