Military modernization

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Gibberwocky
Corporal

Military modernization

Post by Gibberwocky »

I was just wondering how hard it would be to add in the ability to mark a unit as obsolete, and then be able to scrap all units of that type. It would make things a lot easier when it comes time to modernize a large military.
"I wish to have no connection with any ship which is not fast, for I intend to go in harm's way.
John Paul Jones
tonystowe
Colonel

Re: Military modernization

Post by tonystowe »

I completely agree with this suggestion
Gibberwocky
Corporal

Post by Gibberwocky »

And on the subject of the military (not quite the same topic, but related): what about being able to select a certain battle group and activating it? As it seems to be now, I can select a battle group while they are in reserve, but apparently I can not activate them without going through the reserve screen.
Can someone get them a cell phone, please?

As it stands, there seems to be no way to deploy assets from the 'selected' menu.
"I wish to have no connection with any ship which is not fast, for I intend to go in harm's way.
John Paul Jones
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

And on the reverside of things the ability to mark a design as no longer obsolete. As in some situations a unit get marked as obsolete when there is no beter replacement.
sirveri
Colonel

Post by sirveri »

Ruges wrote:And on the reverside of things the ability to mark a design as no longer obsolete. As in some situations a unit get marked as obsolete when there is no beter replacement.
That's not quite as bad since you can chose to display obsolete units in the options.
- Dave
---------------------
Will mod for food!
Illumination
Warrant Officer

Post by Illumination »

I completely agree with group scrapping of obsolete units. My thumb is so achy from all the mouse work i have to do to shut down facilities also. An itemized facility window where you can go through them by type, highlight them, and select scrap or deactivate would be ideal as well!
Joemurder
Lieutenant

Post by Joemurder »

I also wish BG would add an option to select the designs that I thought were obsolete, like SR2010. I can't stand having 20 different artillery types to choose from when playing as Russia, most of which are from the 50's and 60's. For some reason the A.I. doesn't think these are obsolete.
Szun
Sergeant

Post by Szun »

once i reached tech 120 or so the game though my german TzP-1 transporttank was obsolete..i disagreed and modded it to tech 0:P
since the other crap with no tech level was still there
Trifler
Lieutenant

Post by Trifler »

Wouldn't it be easier to have a button to mark a design as "Hidden", which would remove it from your fabrication list, and then have an option in the Game Options to "Display Hidden Units"? Thus, have the player decide whether something was obsolete or not rather than trying to go through all the unit designs and mark which ones become obsolete when and by what other unit(s). When the "Display Hidden Units" was checked, and a "Hidden" design selected, then the button normally used for marking the design as "Hidden" would "Unhide" the design if clicked. This might be how 2010 worked but I'm not real familiar with how this feature worked in that game so anyway this is an idea.
oulig
Corporal

Post by oulig »

Just one subjection
For one country obsolete unit could be interesting for another undevelop country.
Could possible for obsolete unit to be sell in a global bid (i hope that the good word) by the computer? that could a nice way?
Squigbunny
Captain

Post by Squigbunny »

No “hide design” button would reduce clutter of non-favourite designs. Could do this in 2010. This was a really handy facility for showing the designs you wanted for your forces. Without it there is potentially too much clutter with superseded or not preferred designs.

It gets really valuable as time goes on and you've acquired a lot of designs, most of which you no longer use. |O :-(

As a former 2010 tool, it really is a must for 2020's next update...
Squigbunny
Captain

Post by Squigbunny »

oulig wrote:Just one subjection
For one country obsolete unit could be interesting for another undevelop country.
Could possible for obsolete unit to be sell in a global bid (i hope that the good word) by the computer? that could a nice way?
When you think about it, obsolescence is very much a subjective decision.

Look at all the old designs that make it into third world inventories for frontline use. Heck the Egyptians still used T-34s in the 1973 Yom Kippur War. African countries still use the PT-76 as a front line unit. Granted from the NATO/WP perspective these vehicles were obsolete kit.

Is there any chance that obsolescence can be determined solely by the player for their own forces - after all their immediate opponents might be in just as bad a way as the player (or worse! :lol: ) as regards equipment.

Return to “Development - 2020”