Trading Technologies: a small-big suggestion

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Guastardo
Corporal

Trading Technologies: a small-big suggestion

Post by Guastardo »

Hi all, first of all sorry for possible language mistakes. Second, compliments for the great game, I think that is the best modern geo-politic simulator.
I'm starting to really enjoy the game just now, after several weeks of "training" and all seems great, but i've noticed a trading-related thing that risk to unbalance the gaming experience, making it too easy.... a kind of "legal exploit".
That's the thing: with almost ALL regions you can make some cash, and adding it with 1-2 technologies allows you initially to acquire the WHOLE world knowledge, and later to do A LOT of money, in this way: you can trade 2 researched techs + some money for a single, cheap tech from a friendly country; then anoter little amount of money + the 2 original, and new acquired tech for another cheap tech from another country; then the two original techs and the two traded ones for another new tech (no more need of money) with a third country.... and so on, until you become without many problems the world tech leading country (I've done it with Somalia). Then you can trade with a rich region ALL your previously traded techs for billions $.
I think that we can simply avoid to use this "exploit". if we consider it in that way. But I think that there is a better solution, not just to avoid to be tempted to use it, but in general, to make the thing more realistic: trading techs "blueprints" instead of the real tech, that can help you in the research lowering the time needed to acquire a new tech.... but YOU have to do the research.
I hope that I expressed myself clearly, I'm curious to know what do you think about that. :)
CSA Partisan
Warrant Officer

Re: Trading Technologies: a small-big suggestion

Post by CSA Partisan »

What you described is the tech system in Hearts of Iron 2, which works rather well. In HOI2, the tech blueprints are traded rather than the tech itself.

If you did all that with Somalia, then you're spot on about this being an exploit that could result in imbalance, so good work.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Just make it so if you recieve a tech from anouther country in a trade, you cannot trade it to anouther country. Also techs should cost more depending on what tech level the country is. For instance if a country has a tech level of 110. When it trades away techs that are 110. It should cost (1000 percent?) more. And if the country has a tech level of 110, when it trades away techs that are 60 it should cost maybe (50 percent?). And thats just valuation before relations are figured in.
Guastardo
Corporal

Post by Guastardo »

@CSA Partisan
Yeah it's the same HoI2 trading system in fact, I think that should work very well also for SR. :)

@Ruges
All your suggestions seems accetable to me, let's see...
Ruges wrote:Just make it so if you recieve a tech from anouther country in a trade, you cannot trade it to anouther country.
Maybe a bit too extreme, but certainly effective and easy to implement (I suppose).
Also techs should cost more depending on what tech level the country is. For instance if a country has a tech level of 110. When it trades away techs that are 110. It should cost (1000 percent?) more. And if the country has a tech level of 110, when it trades away techs that are 60 it should cost maybe (50 percent?). And thats just valuation before relations are figured in.
I definitely agree, should be nice in both standard and blueprint version.

Now I've started a parallel game as Serbia and after one year ('cause of a war VS Bulgaria, otherwise the time should were less) I've builded mine first nuclear reactor, the first bio-fuel oil industry and I have (for example) future stealth tech. Surely I will not repeat the trading thing in my next games, but not commerce techs at all seems too ubalanced in the opposite way, so I hope that the system will change in the future ;)
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Id say part of the solution is to have the AI aggressively trade techs also,this would create competition and dry up the tech market fairly soon.In addition it would spread out the gains from such trading over various different regions,instead of just the player regions,adding another level to the active economy.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

tkobo wrote:Id say part of the solution is to have the AI aggressively trade techs also,this would create competition and dry up the tech market fairly soon.In addition it would spread out the gains from such trading over various different regions,instead of just the player regions,adding another level to the active economy.
Problem with having them world aggresively trade techs is it takes the balance (or unbalance) out of the world. Some countries are just supposed to be a higher tech level then others. But that is just a bad idea, and would take some realism out of the game.

I also just realized anouther feature that should happen with tech trading. Specificaly military techs, giving a military tech (either tech or unit design) to anouther country, You should loose relations with the recieving nations enimies. For instance if Russia gave Iran the know how to build 2K22 Tunguska M-1. It would probly upset the US with Russia.

Also anouther loosing relations feature should be. If I recieve tech from country A, then I trade the tech to country B, I should loose relations with country A. For instance, If the US gave Isreal the know how to build a stealth bomber, Then Isreal sold that tech to say Ukraine. It would piss the US off, and probly make it so the US never trades tech with Isreal again.

Return to “Development - 2020”