SR2020 Expansion Announced

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

SR2020 Expansion Announced

Post by tkobo »

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... p?t=380041
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/SupremeRule ... p=articles

I dont see a post here about it, so heres one.

(Editor's note: It's just that you beat us to it :) -- George)
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
George Geczy
General

Re: SR2020 Expansion Announced

Post by George Geczy »

World War III is only a mouse click away... Supreme Ruler 2020 expansion – Global Crisis announced

New York, USA (October 28, 2008) - Paradox Interactive today announced a new expansion pack for the Geo-Political, Military Strategy game Supreme Ruler 2020, developed by BattleGoat Studios.

“This is the first time we've developed an expansion pack and we wanted to ensure that we had significant new content for our dedicated players to enjoy,” remarked David Thompson, BattleGoat's Lead Designer and Co-Founder.

“At the core of the expansion pack, we created a whole new sandbox style campaign that paints a new and far more intricate portrayal of the world of 2020 based on many of the ominous events from recent real-world headlines. Anyone who’s played our game knows that the possibilities to change the underlying storyline for new play experiences are limitless. There’s always something going on in the world, thanks to human nature, that can easily escalate into a conflict.”

In addition to this expanded game play element,
Global Crisis includes many new features:

- 20 new scenarios which more than doubles the number of scenarios that originally shipped with the game
- Additional new multiplayer scenarios
- New campaign/sandbox map along a new storyline leading players towards World War III
- New scenario features including scripted and random events
- Improved unit control and grouping
- Expanded tech tree
- New units and unit meshes
- Additional game lobby options
- Graphic improvements
- AI enhancements
- More tutorials and in-game tips
- User interface improvements

Global Crisis is scheduled for a digital download release via GamersGate during the latter half of Q4, 2008 and will require Supreme Ruler 2020 to play. Supreme Ruler 2020 was released in June 2008.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

So, wondering why we've decided to put together an Expansion Pack, and what this means for our support of SR2020? You've found the place for answers...

* Q: What about Updates for SR2020?

A: We intend to keep offering free updates for the original SR2020. These updates will continue to include AI and engine improvements as well as fixes. These updates will no longer include much new content (scenarios etc).

* Q: Why an Expansion Pack?

A: An Expansion Pack is a response to requests from our players and community. Like many expansion packs it will include elements that extend gameplay and provide new features that are beyond what we had planned for SR2020. To be honest, there is always some hesitancy around BattleGoat Studios when talking about things like Expansion Packs. What we would LIKE to do is to just keep giving our players more and more new content and features for free. However, many of you probably notice the problem with that plan - such as our desire as developers to buy groceries, pay the utility bills, etc. If Paradox wouldn't have suggested an Expansion, we'd be at the point right now we're we'd have to start shifting development resources to other projects. An expansion pack allows us to keep the team working on SR2020. As well, on the forums many players have expressed interest in ways to keep supporting our ongoing development and updates, and an Expansion Pack certainly provides that opportunity.

* Q: How long will updates continue to be available?

A: We expect to offer a free update to the original SR2020 just before the release of the expansion pack, and also offer at least one more update in the first quarter of 2009 for both the original and the Expansion Pack.

* Q: So, why should I buy the Expansion Pack?

A: The Expansion Pack will add significant new content, including a newly created 'Global Crisis' world campaign and a number of related scenarios. We'll also be adding new scenarios designed specifically for Multi Player games, and a number of exciting new in-game features such as enhanced unit grouping. Obviously you can continue to enjoy SR2020 in its original form, but we hope that many of you will find elements of interest in the Expansion Pack.

* Q: How will Multiplayer and Saved Games Work?

A: Multiplayer games must be played between systems running the same version. Saved Games from the original will load into the Expansion Pack, but not the other way around. Players installing the Expansion Pack can continue to have the original installed for multiplayer compatibility with owners of only the original.

* Q: When will the Expansion be released, and how can I get it?

A: Global Crisis is scheduled for a digital download release via GamersGate during the latter half of Q4, 2008 and will require Supreme Ruler 2020 to play. The exact pricing has not yet been finalized.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

George Geczy wrote: events
- Improved unit control and grouping
- AI enhancements
REALLY want to hear more about these two :P
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
MaxRiga
Colonel

Post by MaxRiga »

I advise to call this expansion - TOTAL PATCH :)))
... lai dzivo latvija !
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

MaxRiga wrote:I advise to call this expansion - TOTAL PATCH :)))
Ok, I gota hear this, why?
gouldjg
Captain

Post by gouldjg »

I most certanly will not be buying it nless these 3 conditions are met,

1. Overseas threat to own land as UK player.

2. Dynamic CB system.

Sry, apart from a few new missions, this is nothing more than patch material to me:(
Kreiger815
Colonel

Post by Kreiger815 »

Not to insult the developers or anything....

But this just looks like an attempt to grab more money from the players for the original game. From what's listed, it seems to be things that we have already been getting with patches, a few tweaks and enhancements, but nothing of REAL importance.

When I think of expansions, I think vast changes to the game, new factions or classes(for RTS and RPG), completely new campaigns.

This may be harder to do with a game such as SR2020, but I want to see my money going somewhere different. Increased multiplayer support? A couple new scenarios? New unexciting units either at the end of the techtree so overpowered that it becomes no longer fun, or ones that get replaced within a month of research?

Meaning this:I want the same satisfaction I got playing the original, but actually seeing a real difference between the 2.

/rantoff
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Ruges wrote:Ok, I gota hear this, why?
You ever catch the expression "don't feed the trolls"?
gouldjg wrote:I most certanly will not be buying it nless these 3 conditions are met,...
umm, that's 2... We have already mentioned that work has been done on naval invasions but it's to early to say if we'll be successful in completing it. As for the Causus Belli system, it is actually dynamic. Let me know on #3 ;)
Kreiger815 wrote:...When I think of expansions, I think vast changes to the game, new factions or classes(for RTS and RPG), completely new campaigns...
That's about what we said we're doing. What you're describing is change in content which (despite some user's comments) is one of the defining features of most expansion packs. Looking at my shelves what I've gotten from expansion packs is usually new maps/races/units. Examples (some I own, some looking at the net;

- Starcraft
- Command and Conquer
- Medieval I and II Total War
- Mechwarrior 4
- W40K Dawn of War
- GalCiv2
- WoW expansions
- Civ 4

(yeah, I know, some older games there, but premise still stands).

We're also adding new features, some that have been mentioned, others that we're still finalizing. All of the content is stuff we would not have spent development hours making unless we moved forward with an expansion pack. Look at SR2010 as an example, it got a "free" WWIII map that wasn't bad but was minimal in it's changes and was one of the most played maps. Here we're devoting full development time from the team to make a whole new campaign, plus scenarios, plus MP scenarios, and then adding new features.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
oberkommando
Major

Post by oberkommando »

Glad to hear this! and about the possible 5th patch, i love this game. Great, well done mates. :D

P.S. I appreciate all the work you do.
MaxRiga
Colonel

Post by MaxRiga »

You ever catch the expression "don't feed the trolls"?
lol, this why i'm not gonna buy total patch for sure ;) take care, bye.
... lai dzivo latvija !
Dom
Lieutenant

Post by Dom »

I won't purchase the expansion until the original game is fixed.
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Balthagor wrote: You ever catch the expression "don't feed the trolls"?
Yea, but I really wanted a reason why this update should be considerd a patch instead of an expansion. To me a patch is to fix broken content, an expansion is to implement new features. Sure in some patch's you get new content. But there is not as much content as an expansion permits.

Granted the expansion features you guys have listed seem a little low. But that is only if you look at it with blinders on.

For instance, AI enhancements could mean a major revamp in how the AI does offensive wars. So instead of it guarding cities it does not need to it sends those units upfront to engage and exspand. It could also mean that the AI performs navle battles a little more aggresivly. And performs amphibious assults on enemy lands.

Improved unit control and grouping could mean you group a few units togeather and they work as a single unit. Either in a single hex or in a line over 10 hexes. Or perform defensive walls on boarders.

Additional game lobby options Could mean when we join multiplayer we see all the games being played. and are able to join in an on going game without having to find the players IP before joining.

- Additional new multiplayer scenarios
- New campaign/sandbox map
Could mean a new map that is completly balanced with only 10 countries in it so multiplayer games can take a couple hours instead of a couple days.

New scenario features including scripted and random events
So many posibilities here to list. tons of idea's posted on the forums.

Expanded tech tree As we can see from peoples post, People are playing the game well beyond the current tech years, So why should they not have more techs to research. Is it going to create stonger units that can defeat older units? Yes of course it is. Just as in the current game where advanced units are decimating older units. The whole thing is you have to balance it right. And teach the AI to use these units in a tactic that can make it difficult for the human player. If all they did was add new tech, then yea a player can go from raping the world with 120 B-3 bombers to raping it with 20 B-6 bombers. But if you make it so the AI learns that one of its enemies is using advanced bombers (sub any unit), then it should aquire and build new units to counter those units.

I just think people need to realize that they have not said what new features they are adding, Just what field they are adding new features in. Which is pretty much all of them.
I won't purchase the expansion until the original game is fixed.
whats broken? there is a couple rare crashes. But you can usualy go a solid 15 hours without seeing one. AI issues, But that is more of a balancing act. Sure I think some changes should be done in a patch on the AI. but a major overhual should be done in an exspansion. A multiplayer game lobby is probly more of a patch thing too, even thow it will require allot of work. Of course the problem with a game lobby is going to be host server issues.(will talk more of this in anouther post). But other then that the stuff people are asking for are more of new features or adjusted features, which is more of an expansion thing.
lol, this why i'm not gonna buy total patch for sure take care, bye.
Well at least then you wont have to worry about explaining to your friends how great the patch is and have to beg them to come over to play with you. I am really suprized you guys play any strat games at all since you guys only take first impressions from release content and dont consider patches. But you guys can go back and play some more Civ4 if you like. Ohh wait you probly dont play that since it had some issues at launch. How about Brothers in Arms hells highway? No patches to it so far, and it seems like a solid game. Or does your mommy not let you play mature games? Oh sorry, that last part probly went to far, you can delete that if you like mods.
Dom
Lieutenant

Post by Dom »

MP is broken. I'd like to see that fixed before I even consider putting money into an expansion.
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Now I have not been home in a while, and wont be home till january or so. So have not really had a chance to dive into MP yet. But what is broken with it?

Return to “Development - 2020”