Embargo’s Put Embargo

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

alijacup29
Warrant Officer

Embargo’s Put Embargo

Post by alijacup29 »

Embargo’s

In the next update there should me a option for embargo to put a embargo on nations and stop imports from that nation. So there should me a option for embargos, for example, if I am playing as Bosnia and don’t want to import my resources from Serbia or export my resources to Serbia so I want to put embargo on Serbia.
Opthalamia
Colonel

Re: Embargo’s Put Embargo

Post by Opthalamia »

Nice idea. But why shouldnt Italy use the situation, import your goods and export them to serbia?
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

There should be two forms of embargo. One that prevents imports or exports from your nation to anouther nation. And one that prevents imports or exports from all nations to one nation. Granted you can choose to reject the former treaty. However you will loose standings with the country who proposed it. Also before such a tool is implemented you will need to be able to see what two other nations think of each other.
Opthalamia
Colonel

Post by Opthalamia »

A nation to nation embargo never works in a global tadesystem. Something like UN-Embargo-Resolutions could be a feature, but if one nation with a border ignore this resolution...

Import tolls work, but are allready ingame.
alijacup29
Warrant Officer

Post by alijacup29 »

That would be good UN Embargo it would be cool, if you are playing as Saudi Arabia or Iran there don’t export or import anything from Israel, so there should be a embargo that don’t allow my exports to go to Israel or there imports to my nations. That is example and it is truth Saudi Arabia don’t export anything to Israel or import anything from Israel.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

Placing an embargo on a nation in our game is not an immediately feasible item. At day end, all regions selling to the open market, and all regions buying from the open market are matched up. If you were to be able to check a box that prevents selling goods to a region... if it came down to matching up you to that region, you would sell your stuff to a region that you do allow selling to... and the region you want to boycott will buy their goods from a region who will sell to them.

One current in-game way to accomplish what you are asking for is to turn off automated sales and automated purchases then manually set up trade deals between countries you want to sell to / buy from. Then none of your goods will directly hit the open market, and you can control who you trade with. I would like to see an easier way to initiate trade deals but for now, you may not have exactly what you are hoping to find.
Squigbunny
Captain

Post by Squigbunny »

Ruges wrote:There should be two forms of embargo. One that prevents imports or exports from your nation to anouther nation. And one that prevents imports or exports from all nations to one nation. Granted you can choose to reject the former treaty. However you will loose standings with the country who proposed it. Also before such a tool is implemented you will need to be able to see what two other nations think of each other.
I think you used to be able to do this in SR2010. I think it should be included in SR2020 too as it's a nice feature.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

It was boycotts, not embargoes.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Squigbunny
Captain

Post by Squigbunny »

Balthagor wrote:It was boycotts, not embargoes.
Fine. We are talking semantics here. We both know that embargoes are a refusal to sell and a boycott a refusal to buy. The nub of the issue is that players are looking for negative diplomatic actions of which this is one and has the added benefit of restricting trade with the target country.

Legend's comment that goods are sold on the open market can be resold to the (let's say) embargoed country (- and when you think of the various methods of achieving that e.g. undisclosed principals etc) is not an unreasonable comment. That said there is still room for this sort of negative diplomacy for its political effect, if not the trade aspect on the various nations/alliances etc, which up the ante on casus belli.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

This is not just semantics.

A boycott is a refusal to trade with a country

An embargo is getting a collection of regions to agree not to trade with a country.

Two very different concepts in game terms. If you want to "boycott" a region, just don't manually trade with them. If you don't want them to have access to the goods you're sending to the market, you'd need a way of disallowing them to make any market purchases, forcing them to do direct trades only.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that they are different.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Squigbunny
Captain

Post by Squigbunny »

Balthagor wrote:This is not just semantics.

A boycott is a refusal to trade with a country

An embargo is getting a collection of regions to agree not to trade with a country.

Two very different concepts in game terms. If you want to "boycott" a region, just don't manually trade with them. If you don't want them to have access to the goods you're sending to the market, you'd need a way of disallowing them to make any market purchases, forcing them to do direct trades only.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that they are different.
Fair comment. :-)
j0ntaX
Corporal

Post by j0ntaX »

So what ever happened with this? Will there be any way to boycott or embargo other regions?
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

Well embargo's, In my eyes would require a UN approval for it to actually happen between a majority of states against state (x). And as the UN is modelled in this game as pretty passive; apart from scripted trades. I can't see it working properly without a large scale overhaul.

Just like in real life, the UN in this game is mostly pointless. (No offense intended to the dev team). In fact the UN in this game is better than in real life. :wink:
BigWolf
Brigadier Gen.

Post by BigWolf »

Personally I think the UN should be removed
It was put together too prevent a 3rd world war and too try and ensure global peace

If the storyline of the game were to ever come true, once the wars started kicking off, the UN would most likely be dissolved as it has failed it's mandate
The United Nations Organization (UNO) or simply United Nations (UN) is an international organization whose stated aims are facilitating cooperation in international law, international security, economic development, social progress, human rights, and the achieving of world peace. The UN was founded in 1945 after World War II to replace the League of Nations, to stop wars between countries, and to provide a platform for dialogue. It contains multiple subsidiary organizations to carry out its missions.
Apart from being a neutral place for dialogue, full-scale global wars would render all other uses void as they couldn't enforce them

Personally, the only use in the game, is for them giving you random designs and resources

As for embargoes, it would take quite a rewrite on how the global market works
Even though maybe not as much as one as you might think as you could even macgyver it onto the current system

All you need to do is split the resources on the world market based on who provided them by switching from variable to arrays (can still be done using objects, but needs abit more effort)
Example: [Done in PHP because I code it faster, but the principle is still the same]

Code: Select all

$timber = 300,000;
becomes

$timber = array('USA' => '200,000', 'China' => '100,000');
$totalTimber = 300,000;
You could use a loop to determine the total variables, or just alter it anytime the resource array is altered
As for the actual resource arrays, you would pass through the country name or id and construct it using a loop

while(//whichever loop you are using to add/subtract to/from the resource variable){
    // if resources being added
    $timber[$countryID] += $timberIn;
    // if resources being subtracted
    $timber[$countryID] -= $timberOut;
}
This allows for you too then to allow an embargo from a certain countries, meaning resources from those countries can't be traded by only allow resources from non-hostile countries to be given via the world market
At the same you could even throw in the ability for countries to only trade out supplies to allies during war time
This change allows to keep the world market (which is easier to keep track of and using less CPU than nearly 200 individual countries with their own trades)

Hell, if you turned it into a multi-dimensional array you could even have individual resource prices, or even qualities and other things (But 1 thing at a time :) lol )
j0ntaX
Corporal

Post by j0ntaX »

Yeah the trade could possibly be handle alot diffrently but I doubt the dev's want to rewrite the whole thing. I just feel that it's seems so wrong selling guns and oil out on the world market just so your enemies can by it :S Some sort of blockade could be fun aswell but then you probably need to be at war with the target region.

Return to “Development - 2020”