Random Events?

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

hoddized
Colonel

Random Events?

Post by hoddized »

Hi,

Would it be difficult to implement some random events to give the game a little bit more "flavor"?. Just some little things that can pop up and effect the relations between neighboring countries, changing the relations and c. belli f.x.

I find the AI lacks any sort oft "personality", nothing really happens or changes that effects the game, except the AI hates the guy who can build a lot of units.

Maybe people don't like this idea, it's just a thought.

Kveðja,
Höddi
MichiD
Major

Post by MichiD »

Really shouldn't be that much work.
Though I think it should be optional, and maybe the number of events can be specified too.
Ashbery76
Major

Post by Ashbery76 »

I agree, the world lacks politics.
natoforces
Lieutenant

Post by natoforces »

yeah...like TERRORISTS

i.e:
an email coming up from the operations minster saying that a terrorist camp has been spotted in X country, and it's been revealed by intelligence that they are planning an attack. So we must do something!

So either pre-emptive strike 'stealthily' or not. we must act, if not one of our facilities or cities is really attacked in X period of time. and CB towards the country hosting the camp is up!

unless we can ask the country to deal with them first...but this is whole other story for the game, to add diplomacy interaction, other than treaty.

Besides, I am for one TOTALLY AGREE to just not having Cassus Belli as the only factor to attack another country, it should be more random events...
Nicolas
Sergeant

Post by Nicolas »

Absolutely agree. After some time, if you have a decent economy, and don't want to go to war, nothing interesting happents. Like in Paradox titles, fore example "Bribe scandal: -10% domestic approval", "Spy spotted: gain casus belli on X", ministers who disagree dependig on alignment, newly discovered raw material deposits, natural disasters, destroyed units, civil movements against some discoveries (human cloning).
And, some politcal debates, programmes of today, as the fight for oil under the north pole between USA, Canada, Denmark (Greenland), Norway and Russia; ability to lock canals...
Overall, religion should play a mayor role also.
NickW
Sergeant

Post by NickW »

I like the idea of adding 'events' too. It would involve the devs writing a whole new chunk of code though, so I doubt they would want to...

But *if* they did, then all the events should be user moddable like in EU or HOI.
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

Agree as well. I've thought of this while playing, but forgot to post anything about it when I closed the game.
"Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."
George Geczy
General

Re: Random Events?

Post by George Geczy »

While Random Events generally have a love/hate relationship with strategy gamers, I agree that some random occurrences and disasters and political changes etc would add interest - this is definitely something that is on our wish list.

I'm not sure how far people would want this to go - I think I posted a few months ago in another thread about the old "rats ate 75% of your grain reserves" kind of random message that used to happen in old text-based strategy games like 'Sumer' (ok, pre-history for most of you...) ie an event that is potentially catastrophic yet completely random. On the other hand, massive earthquakes and hurricanes really do happen (but are generally more acceptable if they happen to someone else).

-- George.
hoddized
Colonel

Post by hoddized »

Personally I am against events in strategy games, I hated them in the HoI's for example, I always thought of them as a poor fix for a lacking A.I.

But on the other hand I find SR too dry as it is at the moment, I'm not talking about events that will make or brake the game you are playing, just give
it a bit of flavor... for example an "Anti-"your country" rally got out of control in country X", worsening your relations and maybe giving you a bit of casus belli if the X country chose not to suppress it. Just some small simple "A or B" choice events, not the "Florida broke off the U.S. in a massive earthquake and drifted away, now being a part of Sierra Leone!" type.

Kveðja,
Höddi
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

While Random Events generally have a love/hate relationship with strategy gamers, I agree that some random occurrences and disasters and political changes etc would add interest - this is definitely something that is on our wish list.

I'm not sure how far people would want this to go - I think I posted a few months ago in another thread about the old "rats ate 75% of your grain reserves" kind of random message that used to happen in old text-based strategy games like 'Sumer' (ok, pre-history for most of you...) ie an event that is potentially catastrophic yet completely random. On the other hand, massive earthquakes and hurricanes really do happen (but are generally more acceptable if they happen to someone else).
Perhaps they could be turned on/off with player preference. If implemented well they could add much to the game. I'd like some way of interacting with the event, for example sending aid or if on thr receiving end requesting aid. But sending aid should improve relations etc.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

For future development we will consider random events. The end decision may come down to whether they add to or take away from gameplay.

I like the idea of "turning down" or "turning off" random events or at least the option to not worry much about them when they do happen.

I also like the idea of having an event happen and then the ability for some countries to respond. Take the example of a hurricane. Reports could come in to help the country. Numbers of people displaced, injured, killed could be reported. The player, (and AI regions) could have the opportunity to offer aid. If you don't help, while holding a enormous treasury other countries could get upset with you. If you do, the country you are helping could like you a bit more. Maybe you'd be expected to help allies more than non allies. Perhaps relief can be offered as a percentage of what the recovery/repair would be. If the hurricane happened in your own country, you could get a message to offer help, and you could send money or not. Sending little money, if no other countries help could hurt your DAR while sending lots of money could improve your DAR for a bit.

These are all just thoughts and are open for future development (not for an update).
gouldjg
Captain

Post by gouldjg »

I just posted about random events in another thread.

SH3 Commander (a mod given tool for Silent hunter 3 by the creator of JSME) The little gem of a programme gave people the opportunity to randomise practically anything they had access to e.g. text files and hex, unit data and graphics.

As stated in other thread, a similar tool or better would be all that was needed as i think the community would then create heaps of stuff for a game like this.

Scripts were ok in the HOI series but that game had too much of a stick to the history crowd for anyone to want to do random on it in a big way. Personally, if HOI2 was set in the near future, I think random scripts would have made that game 10 times better.

This type of game is totally different and if the devs just considered allowing access to certain files that can be altered and possibly just hand out a tool similar to Sh3 Commander, the modding community would work wonders.

All good stuff for the future
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Was just thinking that random events would be much better if they were not always completely random.

e.g. nations inclined to hate you release a press statement that is sabre rettling or denouncing you- you could choose response
a. sabre rattle or denounce back and increase both CB.
b. take morale high ground and inrease your CB to them.
c. reduce tensions & <CB.

the random part could mostly be chance of happening, but the sort of stuff that does needs to be tied to in game stuff.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

I had thrown out the idea that after a DOW, or after a battle has waged on for awhile that a region could simply publicly state their general approval or disapproval of the war. If acted upon during the DOW, the effects could be directed towards the attacker/defender.
A declares war on B. I disapprove of this war. relations between you and A weaken/worsen and between you and B strengthen. This is just an idea.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

A declares war on B. I disapprove of this war. relations between you and A weaken/worsen and between you and B strengthen.
Yep, that sort of stuff. Could also comment on other's treaties, and comments.

eg. Nation C condems Nation A+Bs alliance- we have the opportunity to agree.
This is just an idea.
Good place to start. :-)

Return to “Development - 2020”