Town to City

Talk about on-going development of Supreme Ruler 2020 here. What would you like to see in updates or in a future Supreme Ruler title?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

MaxRiga
Colonel

Town to City

Post by MaxRiga »

... is it possible to convert town to city? How to add business and tourism stuff to new converted city? what bonuses it gives?
... lai dzivo latvija !
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

no you can't convert it. the only difference that I know of between a town and city is the picture and the number of people. Perhaps later on we'll do this automatically but for now it would fall low on the list.
MaxRiga
Colonel

Post by MaxRiga »

Legend wrote:no you can't convert it. the only difference that I know of between a town and city is the picture and the number of people. Perhaps later on we'll do this automatically but for now it would fall low on the list.
thx for replay but i could suggest such easy thing like - automatic converting from Town to City if it's population more then a million.
So, you can build business or tourism attraction by ur self ONLY in cities ...
... lai dzivo latvija !
midn8t
Sergeant

Post by midn8t »

MaxRiga wrote:
Legend wrote:no you can't convert it. the only difference that I know of between a town and city is the picture and the number of people. Perhaps later on we'll do this automatically but for now it would fall low on the list.
thx for replay but i could suggest such easy thing like - automatic converting from Town to City if it's population more then a million.
it be nice if the towns and would change to citys and citys could change to megatroplis areas based on the population.

it also be neat if areas that had indstural centersa nd jobs would in town possaible change into towns from people wanting to live there for the jobs
MaxRiga
Colonel

Post by MaxRiga »

midn8t wrote:
MaxRiga wrote:
it be nice if the towns and would change to citys and citys could change to megatroplis areas based on the population.

it also be neat if areas that had indstural centersa nd jobs would in town possaible change into towns from people wanting to live there for the jobs
I'd say more - it be logicly and RIGHT to do that.
... lai dzivo latvija !
XeroMan
Lt. Colonel

Post by XeroMan »

Too bad about the nature of towns, though I understand the reasoning. The progress of time isn't fast enough to allow realistic growth. One of the few things that dissapointed me about 2010.

On the other hand, perhaps money could be invested in city-wide infrastructure and improve the city that way. Perhaps this has been covered elsewhere, but I've been away a few years and this is one of the first threads I found. I was curious how cities would be handled.
MaxRiga
Colonel

Post by MaxRiga »

General idea of sr2010 was fast war. Right after u launch game u supposed to fight. This how the game was constructed. It's not about building up, but just a fight. Unfortunately, BG had created sr2020 in the same game play tradition as sr2010. This why there is very primitive economic management and there is no city improvements. They simply think you gonna fight and win/loose before any city will grow up :)))

Too many reasonable improvements make more job for BG because they will need to work on smarter AI. They definitely will not be doing this.
... lai dzivo latvija !
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

- The AI has gotten smarter
- It is quite possible to play dozens or hundreds of years without wars depending on the scenario/campaign
- Our economic model is considered quite good by many ppl, including myself.
- City improvements (if you're talking things like building hospitals or police stations) is not something we believe fits the game scale.

The core idea of this thread, seeing urban areas "change" over time is already something we have been exploring and may be part of a future update.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nicolas
Sergeant

Post by Nicolas »

I agree, the AI really does great. I'm playing this game since it's release, and haven't fought a single war, and really happy with it. Remember: its not Hearts of Iron.
Returning to topic: town population increase should be scaled (I compared to equal sized towns, improving one and leaving the another, they grew by roughly the same rate), but it's gonna be issued.
Building hospitals and police stations... come on, you are a supreme ruler of a country, it's none of your business, balancing the budget should be enough.
MaxRiga
Colonel

Post by MaxRiga »

Balthagor wrote:- The AI has gotten smarter
- It is quite possible to play dozens or hundreds of years without wars depending on the scenario/campaign
- Our economic model is considered quite good by many ppl, including myself.
- City improvements (if you're talking things like building hospitals or police stations) is not something we believe fits the game scale.

The core idea of this thread, seeing urban areas "change" over time is already something we have been exploring and may be part of a future update.
i'm not saying about hospitals, but u have business centers and tourist attractions in megapolis. It can give some benefits and, for example, can be available for construction in cities over 1 000 000 population. It's already sounds fun and interesting and doesn’t require much work ...
Other way I don’t understand why I have to play hundreds years without wars and see that mo country graphically is not growing up but on the other hand Japan is full of huge cities ( even if it’s economy dead )
... lai dzivo latvija !
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Agreed, and this is and angle we will pursue, but we've not really been able to finish fleshing out business/tourism yet, and that is something I'm putting pressures for.

I've toyed with some notes on having a tech unlockable "urban renewal zone", but all of the effects I've considered would currently need hardcoding. But this is very far down the wishlist currently
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Julien
Warrant Officer

Post by Julien »

Balthagor wrote: - It is quite possible to play dozens or hundreds of years without wars depending on the scenario/campaign
This means that gameplay will be faster?
It would be great if in peace time the gameplay could be accelerated much-much more and if the player is under attack or declares war, the game slows down automatically.
themistofelis
Warrant Officer

Post by themistofelis »

Nicolas wrote: Returning to topic: town population increase should be scaled (I compared to equal sized towns, improving one and leaving the another, they grew by roughly the same rate), but it's gonna be issued.
If you are talking about AI cities this is correct , if you are talking about player's cities vs AI cities this is wrong , I have Thessaloniki grown bigger than Sofia in less than 20 years ; city growth is related to population growth.

Developing tourism should be in IMHO .
MaxRiga
Colonel

Re: Town to City

Post by MaxRiga »

Let's face the true - resources and cities are most valuable things in the game ( resources and population ). It's shame that a player can build up to 20 or 30 different resources manufactures but can't do anything with cities!
... lai dzivo latvija !
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Town to City

Post by Balthagor »

Actually you can do a lot with cities, they are my first choice for placing new airstrips and research centres.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Development - 2020”