Diplo/Playability things

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Diplo/Playability things

Post by Il Duce »

Y'know, it'd be real nice to see a list of outstanding [i.e. as yet unresponded] diplo proposals and a general list of periodic contracts in force as a summary under state. Wouldn't it?

And while I'm thinking about it, it would be extremely thoughtful if, when you add a unit design or a tech to the research queue, if your state minister would scan all the regions and suggest partners who at least have, and might be willing to trade that unit/tech for something or other that you've got. At the very least, such info would be informative. Poor state never had much to do in 2010.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
red
General

Post by red »

Yes, I'd like to see a research-like pop-up for diplomacy which brings together and summarizes all of these things.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

I think we have some notes on this sort of thing. We could have it as part of our email system - or my thought was in the research popup you could indicate to the player which other regions have the tech. At that point a button could be pressed to make an offer with the selected tech item.

As you can already look through other regions to see what tech are available to trade we may just create the scan/email the player, "BTW Italy has tech 217. Should we trade for the tech or continue researching it ourselves. At this point, the tech is being researched and will progress if you can't get an offere accepted.

With this in mind I did present the idea of having some form of internal benefit for researching items within your own country instead of just buying / trading for everything. Pro/con - pro - get the tech sooner... con - don't get the internal research bonus (whatever it may be)

Again, it's a balance now between time to implement - benefit to gameplay - player feedback - etc etc.
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

Legend - Thanx for the reply. As you might imagine I'd say, paging thru the diplo screens is, well, not really the technology-assisted state of the art that we've come to expect since say 1985 or so.

Popping up a summary in the email would be great - as would an email indicating that a proposal has been sent.

Pressing on - wouldn't it be intersting if we could license our techs to others? This is basically selling the tech on a long payment contract, as I am unware of anyone ever actually stopping the use of a tech when they had terminated thier license before the tech went public domain... Or even better, licensing a dummied-down version, as is typiclly done today with military techs in real life.

It's hard to find real-world correlaries for the build versus buy question when it comes to tech development. Varies a lot by industry, and certain cultures just seem to do research better - or more aggressively. Personally, I'd suggest that there be no hard-wired distinction related to 'inventing it here' and let the marketplace determine the value. I have noted that in sr2010 the potential top prices for a bought tech will vary widely depending on how stressed the tech holder is. It may be hard to get a region at peace to part with a unique tech, but just wait until they're running out of something in the midst of a war. I suppose that makes me a market vulture. In any case, I'd compliment the existing programing for having that level of sensitivity.

Somewhere in one of the recent posts in the 2020 section somebody [and I'm sorry that I don't remember who it was, but it wasn't me] mentioned adding joint research as a diplo option, which I thought was pretty interesting conceptually - any comments?
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

Il Duce wrote:Somewhere in one of the recent posts in the 2020 section somebody [and I'm sorry that I don't remember who it was, but it wasn't me] mentioned adding joint research as a diplo option, which I thought was pretty interesting conceptually - any comments?
This has been discused a few times.... and if irc the -exploit danger- is to big to make this thing work.
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”