Things I like to see in SR2020

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

The_Blind_One
Colonel

Things I like to see in SR2020

Post by The_Blind_One »

Now these are just random brainstorm thoughts and I just want everyone to add their thoughts about improving on the SR2020 experience.

- Improved Supply Model, u actually have to have supply going to china in order to get chinese goods, it should be able to be blocked and goods should be cost factored dependent on how many hexes and strenght of the supply for it takes to reach the destination. This way we can deny our enemies of supplies and make it cumbersome for them to pursue their actions due to increased costs.

- Improved Immigration/Emmigration/Population Growth Model, certain facilities and cities should attract more incoming residents then other parts of the country, sometimes urbanization should occur and sometimes people go back to the farmlands because the farmers have been killed off :P, also this should be applied in a similar way as the supply model, where upon industries increase population growth nearby, specificly cities, and this allows for certain countries to open exploitation further into the back sides of their country. And fill up those blank spots that have appeared during your years of warfare.

These are just 2 things I'd like to see added to SR2020. But Truely my biggest wish is...

- Superior Modding Ability, allowing personal mods to be easily made, new features or insights made by players can increase this game's lifespan for numerous years and not to mention explosive popularity :D

well that's all for now, give ur insight!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

We have already made notes about the fact that the population model for SR2020 needs to be a closed system since it is a "one world map" system but your ideas of how to direct migration are interesting.

The issue of a per product supply model has been discussed in another thread so you should go looking for that one. Last of my comments on it was that I find it unlikely we will go in that direct (to see why, find the thread.)

As for the modding, we made lots of efforts to support the modding community for th eprevious project and saw little interest. Granted those that did take the time to learn how to mod stuff made some really good contributions, there just didn't seem to be that many ppl looking to do modding. We do still intend the game to be highly moddable but how much we'll improve its accessibility is hard to say. Obviously modding tools need to be secondary to core project work. But as always, thanks for the comments.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Balthagor wrote:We have already made notes about the fact that the population model for SR2020 needs to be a closed system since it is a "one world map" system but your ideas of how to direct migration are interesting.
Lots more where that came from 8)
As for the modding, we made lots of efforts to support the modding community for th eprevious project and saw little interest. Granted those that did take the time to learn how to mod stuff made some really good contributions, there just didn't seem to be that many ppl looking to do modding. We do still intend the game to be highly moddable but how much we'll improve its accessibility is hard to say. Obviously modding tools need to be secondary to core project work. But as always, thanks for the comments.
Well the only real modding abilities in SR2010 where the ability to add units & facilities. (I hardly call that modding nowadays, specificly since the game uses low-tech graphics and so it's not the shiny things I'm going to look at, but how the game feels, and thats alot more important to me)

And the ability to create your own map & scenario.
There was no access to the AI, production model, economic model, intel model, diplomacy model, war model etc. And most important scenario figures were just static numbers from the CSV, nice for looks but totaly no functionality. Basicaly u couldn't MOD the game, u could only ADD things to the game.

But I think u guys are more interested in improving on SR2010 rather then creating a new game. I'll live with that :D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

The_Blind_One wrote:...Well the only real modding abilities in SR2010 where the ability to add units & facilities...And the ability to create your own map & scenario...
While those alone I consider quite large, you've missed many other options.

- You could not only add units but alter units.
- Alter terrain file/ add terrain types
- Alter cabinet ministers / cabinet minister pics
- Alter tech tree
- Alter the eleven products and their inter-relations.

As for the elements you mentioned
The_Blind_One wrote:...access to the AI...
True, that we decided to not make moddable
The_Blind_One wrote:...production model...
That is actually moddable to a large extent, we did not provide lots of details but between the Player Variables and other files you could massively change how the production from the relations, demand and output stance.
The_Blind_One wrote:...economic model...
Again true, we decided to hard code the economic model. I'd not expect that to change.
The_Blind_One wrote:...intel model...
There is no intel model to mod...
The_Blind_One wrote:...diplomacy model...
While you could not mod how it works, I didn't really see anyone even try and mod the values that could be changed to create new diplomatic situations. This is also something I'd doubt we'll make moddable, but I could be wrong.
The_Blind_One wrote:...war model...
Not sure what that is...
The_Blind_One wrote:...And most important scenario figures were just static numbers from the CSV...
So? You could adjust the figures. The values for every scenario were moddable. You did have to ask me for the files but I did make them available as requested. And for all the files I did release I believe I saw two mods of existing scenarios.

With how much was moddable in SR2010 and how little modding took place I see little argument for massive expansion in moddability for SR2020. And I'm somone who likes moddability...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”