Some ideas... maybe!

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Paolo
Lieutenant

Some ideas... maybe!

Post by Paolo »

Hi, all!

It is possible to think a feature to synchronize the units during an attack? I mean, like the way you plan an attack in Hearts of Iron.
Or to attack an adjacent hex without advancing?
If I don’t want to move all the units that participate in an attack, but to leave someone in its hex, or also to have an artillery support during the attack, I would like to do this kind of micromanagement.

Another issue: I would like to boycott (or not) a single nation. Even if I am neutral with it.
I don’t much like how the boycott is decided in SR2010: I would prefer a more precise declaration.

Thank you!
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

You can boycott a single nation. there is a place for it under the State department... pick a nation, then pick the boycott section that will open the third panel. Is this what you are looking for?

As for your military idea, can you explain a bit more? I see much of what you said already in SR2010. Perhaps the synchoronizing of troops needs more information... can you elaborate?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

An attack timing feature would be great.

The way it works in HoI is that when you issue the order for a unit to move to/attack an area, a calender like screen opens and you can tell the unit when you want it to reach/attempt its objective.

So if you do this for like 3 stacks of units, you can pick the same arrival time for all three stacks of units to their targets.

This allows very organized scheduled assualts to be set up way in advance, and go off on cue.

Its not only a great feature of that game (despite the bug/issues with siad feature that never got fixed),but it really gives that kind of "im in charge feeling" that a war game needs.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

HOI has a different way of representing units and movement etc...

We have discussed how we could achieve units arriving at the same time and for our real time model there are many obstacles to overcome.

However I have thought of several possibilities to achieve the desired result and we will determine if they are valid for 2020. The concept would require staging.

Having them all arrive at the same time, is highly impossible, due to all the various calculations, paths, terrain types and movement penalties and other obstacles.

However, having them arrive 50 km away and then moving forward once they all arrive could assist with attacks involving combined forces. It could also utilize way points where each way point on the path could cause units to stop, wait for other units and then continue. If you have more than a certain number of units it could ignore way points that are placed too close together before stopping to stage. We could use other rules and still need to determine what options we are going to allow while giving these special orders or giving way point commands.

This is an idea still on the drawing board. So comments are welcome.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Well, what youve said as an option sounds good to me.

Staging points, waypoints,scheduled attacks are all things that would make the game more fun in my opinion.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Paolo
Lieutenant

Post by Paolo »

Thank you, tkobo!
That's exactly what I wanted to say! :-)
Legend, I imagine these options can be difficult to program (calculating the distances and the paths for all the units involved, and scheduling their movements, especially when there are thousands of units on a map!), but having them in play during a game could be really intriguing, for the tactics you could apply. And maybe it could easier to have, with two or more processors in a PC, nowadays!

About boycott, I had seen the options in the economic windows, not the ones in foreign relations! Thank you!
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

Paolo, you are welcome.

If we don't need to move units to arrive at the same time then it won't require too much processing speed. Of course this will have to be approved by our programming department. But staging units would be a way to help things a bit... and I think staging would be a bit more realistic than arriving from all over the place to fight in a battle at the exact same time.

Scheduled attacks as mentioned by tkobo could also use the staged order... so units could group up and then attack at the time you state. much easier than getting them to attack at a scheduled time when they are all in different parts of the map.

I'll take some time and detail these ideas out further and discuss them with our lead designer.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Way points part II?
IMHO they are most needed for bomber/ground attack routes.
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

yes - way points please, also for aerial recon, so you don't have to watch a plane fly to point 'a' just to set it to patrol to point 'b'. Greatly distracting and interferes with managing conflicts in two places at once. [Or else you forget and the poor planes end up circling until they get shot down. sigh]
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”