DOW - Declaration of War

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Legend
General
Human: Yes

DOW - Declaration of War

Post by Legend »

I started this thread to discuss the act of Declaration of War. I think some people would expect an AI region to react differently to actions in the game so let's discuss it here.

How quickly should the AI react when you attack a neighbour?

What things should it consider?

Should it declare war when it can or move into heavy suport mode for it's allies?

What other questions do you want to see discussed?
ainsworth74
Colonel

Re: DOW - Declaration of War

Post by ainsworth74 »

Legend wrote:How quickly should the AI react when you attack a neighbour?

Should it declare war when it can or move into heavy suport mode for it's allies?
1. It should react by perhaps moving more troops to its borders, along the lines of, there are alot of player and AI troops fighting, what if one of them decides to invade me at the same time if they are winning easily. So it should reinforce itself along the line that is being fought upon.

2. Yes, if it shares a land border with its ally or the aggresor, if it does then it should hit back with everything it can. If there is no land border then it should support with air force and Naval units (amphib and killingenemy navy).

Of course I am assuming big improvments in the military AI.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

On the world map, there are just silly DOW's -- if you can stop that it would be a big improvement. Things like Mexico (or Canada) DOW on the US in the absence of some larger treaty or alliance. Now, I don't want to dengrate either of these countries, but it is a bit silly to contemplate Mexico DOW'ing on the US without the immediate and overwhelming prospect of being anhilated.

The same goes for the UK or Isreal declaring against the US. Sure, I suppose in some theoretically possible way, events could lead to that happening -- but it should not be routine and expected.

Regards,
Feltan
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

The issue of 'phoney war' declarations can still be argued both ways...
Many people would prefer to see, for example, Syria get involved in a US-Mexico war by helping Mexico, not by declaring war when they are half a world away. Historically, however, the 'ceremonial' war declaration is quite common - for example, in World War II Panama and Peru declared war on Germany, though their parts in the war effort were not related to troops or battle.

Even in SR2010, AI regions will support another region in a battle without necessarily declaring war, but at a certain point (judged by casus belli, civilian and diplomatic relations, etc) they just have to say "I hate you" with a good old-fasioned war declaration. While this may seem strange sometimes ("Peru declared war on Germany! Oh my, that's sure to bother those Germans..."), it is however the way things tend to work.

Of course, it is also possible to argue that things in the 21st century have entirely different rules. For example, did the US actually "declare" war on Saddam Hussein's Iraq, and did Iraq formally "declare" war back? And if so, when will they sign a "peace treaty"? Same with Afghanistan, and before that Serbia... The modern world isn't as clear cut as those 'good old days' of World War I and II, where everybody had a side with a catchy name ('axis', 'allies', etc).

-- George.
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Indeed, the phony war declarations can be argued both ways.

However, in the absence of a larger alliance you still don't historically see, for example, Zimbabwe DOW'ing the Soviet Union.

Regards,
Feltan
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

I have to say I agree with Feltan on this one, it is silly and annoying when a tiny or large but weak region DOW on a nation that will simply annhialate them.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

I lean the other way on this.I dont mind if some small regions (A)dow on larger regions(B), as long as theres something measurable that they can actually do.

Something along the lines of :
1) fiscal support of the region Bs enemies
2) commando like raids - this would require air and sea landings by the AI.
3)Espionage
4) Become one of a group of regions allied against region B -would require alliance groups
5) etc..

I think of Japan during world war 2 dowing the US.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

I agree with Tkobo however I don't want to still get the forced defcon level just because zimbabwe is still ''ceromonialy'' at war with me :-? while I'm at peace with the rest :roll:

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”