Globe-map option?

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Pandora's Last Ray
Warrant Officer

Globe-map option?

Post by Pandora's Last Ray »

I realize this might be a bit much, but one thing I found unrealistic about SR2010 was the map distortions toward the poles on the world campaign, and the inability to take advantage of the Earth's true shape, for example, for flights near/over the poles for reduced flight times. After all, US and Russian ICBM's generally fly through the north polar regions, not straight west-to-east and vice versa.

Maybe it's a minor thing, but it's been on my mind.
“The government must now dissolve the people and elect a new one.”

– Bertold Brecht
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

yep - I've had thoughts along the same line. Aircraft need the polar routes, and so, of course, do ICBMs. Pretty hard to implement, but it sure would be nice if you could scroll around a globe.

but please, let's not turn this into a lengthy petition.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

If this means i've to buy a new and faster computer the .. NO.. :lol:
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

well it wouldn't neccessarely increase your computer load but I don't think the SR2020 maps are designed for this kinda stuff unless they want to do some serious graphics twinking and add it as a feature to have a globe as a map option. I don't think the method of using hexe's in the way, but much more the game engine.

But that feature would totaly rock! It would really add to the gameplay and feeling of a world ur dealing with. :D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

The world in SR2020 will once again be circular. No decision has been made on addressing issues of missile/aircraft flight over the poles.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

plz add the option of a DONUT world, shouldn't be to hard no?

That way we can still sorta emulate the effect of a spherical world by placing the poles at the corners of the map. It's good for ''moddibility''.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

you completely lost me there...

Since the world projection is 2D I don't see how that is possible. If we went to 3D for the map projection we might as well go spherical...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Paolo
Lieutenant

Post by Paolo »

Please, go spherical!
UFO series had the word spherical!
Yes, it was really really less crowded... :lol: But it worked and was funny!

Sorry, what about the hexes? There will they be still in? If yes, which dimensions will they be? It is possible to have them smaller than in WW3 campaign of SR2010 (35 km)? For example, 15 km or so?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The world size was mentioned in another thread, it is 16km/hex.

As for the world shape, as mentioned, it is a cylinder, not a sphere.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Pandora's Last Ray
Warrant Officer

Post by Pandora's Last Ray »

Well, if the world remains a cylinder, then could at least travel paths toward the poles be allowed to emulate a globe world, at least east/west?
“The government must now dissolve the people and elect a new one.”

– Bertold Brecht
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

This is being considered, no decision yet.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Compared to the world map in SR2010, the new version is a bit more 'skewed' at the northern and southern extremes to help adjust for the distortion of distances. As mentioned in my Blog entry on the world map, distances at the 'Tropics' are generally accurate, but there will be growing distortion towards the poles.

Unfortunately, a true spherical world would end up being very confusing for some players, as well as causing issues with the decision to use a hex layout, etc. A donut world solves less issues than it creates, so again I'm not really sure that would be a significant step forward.

As mentioned in this thread, we do want to make some adjustment to allow ICBM's to hit their appropriate targets.

Outside of that, for gameplay purposes the Cylinder world is really the best all-around choice.

-- George.

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”