Manual or no manual this time ?

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Manual or no manual this time ?

Post by tkobo »

Hhahahahhaha, sorry i just had to ask ,the question amuses me that much. :P
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

I prefer a game come with a manual. Even when everything said in it isn't in the game. :lol: The problem with my manual to SR2010 is I lost it the day I got the game. Never have found it either. I think a damn gremlin took it or something.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

It's too early to say for sure that there will be a printed manual included with the game. I know that we will be making the game available through Digital Download at the same time as the physical product is released so there will for certain be at least a PDF manual. I personally would prefer that the anyone buying the physical product get a manual - but that does increase production costs... I imagine it will have something to do with whatever distributor we sign with.
- David
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

Whle I am an anachronism about hardcopy (I love paper and read with a pencil in hand), I would suggest tht you skip the manual. Instead, let the beta team converse in a forum, as you presently have, and let their docs and conversations be extracted to form a players' guide kernel for the next forums. These forums are the frosting on a rather good cake.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
Pandora's Last Ray
Warrant Officer

Post by Pandora's Last Ray »

I don't know about you, but not every game needs a manual IMO. Take Half-Life 2. There was no manual for that game. None whatsoever. No paper, .txt or even .pdf. Basically there were pop-up text boxes in-game to show how you needed to do what when you needed it for the first time, for example, hitting 'f' for flashlight.

I think it might be more instructive to have a similar sort of 'tutorial scenario' in SR2020, where the tutorial covers all (or most) aspects of the UI to show the player how to manage his economy, military, etc. and, hopefully, explain a few things in the process. Granted, some people prefer the crash-course method, except perhaps if they are pilots in training...
“The government must now dissolve the people and elect a new one.”

– Bertold Brecht
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

we do have plans to improve the tutorial - exact details are not decided upon yet... and we have things in mind that will make the game easier to learn to play.
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Legend wrote:... and we have things in mind that will make the game easier to learn to play.
Sure, ban sales to stupid people. :P

Regards,
Feltan
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

Hmmm.. a bit harsh.. :-?

I recently downloaded the -Ceasar 4 - demo and there is a nice tutorial.
Every time if there is some action in the game you'll get a -popup- explaining things related to that action....

Have a look Goats... maybe it could be helpfull....
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

Feltan wrote:
Legend wrote:... and we have things in mind that will make the game easier to learn to play.
Sure, ban sales to stupid people. :P

Regards,
Feltan
I'm not quite sure where you were going with this...

I will say that by making the game easier to learn to play does not mean we are going to dumb it down either. Easier to get into, easier to get started playing for someone not familiar with Supereme Ruler 2010.

... Ceaser 4 - we'll have to take a look at that. Thanks for the tip. We do play many games but don't have the time to review them all.

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”