Weather Effects

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Eyebiter

Weather Effects

Post by Eyebiter »

I'd like to see weather effects added for Supreme Ruler 2020.

examples
- clear (no penalty)
- Overcast (limits air recon and detection)
- Rain (slows unit movement, limits river crossings, large penalty to non-all weather aircraft missions)
- Frozen (ability to ford frozen rivers, increased unit use of supplies)
- Snow (limits unit move and attack effectiveness, most aircraft grounded, large decrease in unit supply)

It doesn't have to be a highly detailed system but there should be some mechanism for scenarios and mods. Perhaps a check every 24 hours?
red
General

Post by red »

Weather's often been mentioned, but it seems to be a very low priority, specifically from a cost/benefit of gameplay effects/dev time I think was the reason. So, I wouldn't expect it...
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

That is too bad if it doesn't make it in some form. I can testify from personal experience that weather and terrain are two of the biggest concerns when you are in the field with a unit.

Regards,
Feltan
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Im all for weather, but i do agree that its lower on my "list of improvement hopes" than many other things.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

And then you'd also have to consider night-fighting.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Il Duce wrote:And then you'd also have to consider night-fighting.
I just assume, given he scale of the game, that part of the higher tech advantage is due to superior night vision.

However, when you are in three foot snow drifts between Ft. Richardson and Ft. Wainwright and the mecury is hovering at 20 below -- high tech is not as vaulable as a jerry can full of mogas and a few logs!

Regards,
Feltan
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

Due to the scope of SR2020 we won't be including weather.
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

Legend wrote:Due to the scope of SR2020 we won't be including weather.
Thought I'd expand on this a little... While modeling weather is a long term goal of ours to include in the Supreme Ruler franchise, SR2020 won't have it. The development time is just not there this time around and we want to make sure we do it right! (my vision is having an option for a weather overlay that shows current type satellite weather maps to give you an idea of what's coming as well as what's already over the battlefield). Not only should weather affect combat, it should also affect energy consumption for heating and cooling as well as a host of other factors. As well, we would need to include seasonal satellite imagery --- a different high resolution satellite picture of the world for every month of the year, reflecting seasonal flood plains, snow covered terrain etc.. Which actually brings in an additional development challenge - how do you change the underlying Terrain Type of the map almost in mid game?

My guess is that we would need four to eight months dedicated to the weather model - mapping weather patterns, allowing for some random extra harsh weather (you know... like the Germans once ran into...), and addressing the other issues I mentioned.

Like Covert Ops - it won't be there until it is right (unlike covert ops we don't see it as important enough for the development time on this project --- cough cough... ;) )
- David

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”