No
39%

Total votes: 28
Draken
General
Human: Yes

Do you rename your units?

Post by Draken »

Guys, it would be nice to know how many of us rename units to make easier the task of managing them.

I have a few ideas, but it would only make sence to put them in the wish list if there are enough of us that use the rename feature. So vote, please!
kyros
Warrant Officer

Post by kyros »

I rename mine. Esp the special forces units. I name mine "Delta Force Opps 1), ect...
CRUSH!!! the opposition.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Yes, usually to divide into Divisons or brigades. Done as much for emersion as for C 'n' C reasons.
red
General

Post by red »

I couldn't imagine taking the time to rename units in a scenario. I sort units into rather generic stacks, often using only a few unit types, and keep track of them mostly by geography. I find this works best for me on the scale of SR2010... Playing with dozens of stacks on the scale of a continent, I don't care what they're named.
Seydlitz
Major

Post by Seydlitz »

I only rename units with special terrain training so that I can differentiate them. Usually something pretty generic like "1st Urban Battalion."
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

Nope...
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

I operate with a formation concept, grouping units by counts as divisions, brigades, or task forces - however, naming them would be excess labor, particularly since I transfer units by types between formations as a matter of course.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

Like red said to much trouble. No renaming and also no training, i find taht to expensive for to little benefit.

So many units you have to keep track off, i use 2/3 types of tanks, 1/2 different infantry units. just not to much different types :D
Mewshkin
Lieutenant

Post by Mewshkin »

I tend to like to re-name my naval units, like dust off says, for immersion. One game I went mad and renamed all of China's units into (transliterated) chinese names, using Hearts Of Iron as a guide. Whew. I'm glad I'm not that obsessed anymore. I don't bother so much now.
Mew
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

I mostly rename any unit with special training, all naval ships, and sometimes every unit I have if I don't have many. Course there's one unit I have in every game I play not matter what region its in and that's the 1st "Cougars" Battalion which is always Alpine trained :D . Too bad There isn't enough room for Infantry to be added.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

I do rename some units, only big naval units though. I tend to rename carriers and battleships, renaming all the small ones is just to much work, and land units deffinently not
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

So, guys, in your opinion, if renaming units were easier would yo use it? I'm thinking on the lines of a copy and paste function, a hotkey for renaming, unit lists sorted by name...

It is lame sustitution of a propper hiercharchy but...

And Chris / George, don't accuse me of asking for a word proccesor again :)

Not yet at least! :D
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

Renaming would not [IMO] provide the functionality of operational groupings, and might create additional distractions.

For instance, as I mentioned above, I transfer units through formations - as a means of redeployment and as a means of replacement/upgrade. Regardless of how easy it would be to rename them, I would be endlessly doing so as a I move units from formation to formation.

In a few other war games, there was actually a point benefit for keeping formations together, and having them attack in concert - BUT, these units were provided with hierarchical naming and a an order of battle, and a supply/command scheme as well as other admin tools that permitted this [you could still reattach, but historical regimental groupings needed to be retained if possible]. This does not apply in this game, and it looks like the goats aren't going to go that way. Under the circumstances, renaming units [IMO] would not provide much help in terms of helping to keep them together - what would be nice would be a view filter of some sort that would permit you to visualize/highlight the formations on the map.

My solution is simply to associate an area with a logical division/brigade/etc. force, and have a stack/count/formular notion of what that formation consists of. Then its just a matter of populating it. This also has an influence on how I assemble them in the build queues, and has been quite effective in keeping me from overbuilding.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Even tho I understand your point, for me it is very usefull. It help me to keep track of what I have and to select force packages for operations.

And it also help me in the inmersion. I imagine, that I use the time you expend in namaging the the economic in renaming my units. Diffrent ways of playing the game I guess...
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

That is probably one of the attractions of this game and it overwhelms many of the lesser implementation issues.

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”