Starting Games Without Units?

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Warmaster101
Warrant Officer

Starting Games Without Units?

Post by Warmaster101 »

Do any of you select this option? is it the best way to go for a player thats still learing? if you dont select this option how do you manage to sustain your economy and army together? i always start my games without units and gradually build up, im scared of my economy crashing with all those units to begin with, but sometimes i get attacked within a few months and cant defend myself or get bored waiting and give up on the game. Some input on this would be much appreciated :-)
GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Re: Starting Games Without Units?

Post by GIJoe597 »

I have never played a game without units. My rationale is this; many countries in the game have no Land Fabrication facilities, as such, when you start a game with no units they are at a huge disadvantage since their default starting units do not exist. Taken the other way it is a huge advantage for any country with Land Fabs. Now some may suggest a country without Land Fabs could get lucky and have another country offer to sell them units. That would be a long shot I think, who has excess units to sell when no one started with any?

The amount of units you have is really not a big issue concerning your economy, the amount of units you have active would be the issue. No matter how many units you start with you can always reserve them and only bring out as many as you need.

Keep in mind there are various settings you can play with until you are more comfortable with the game economy and military. Have you tried a game with Economic Difficulty: Very Easy? It may allow you to start as normal and worry less about your economy and more on the other things. Once you are proficient at the day to day management of the other things, you can always change the game you are playing to a different setting. (While in game press CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + S). There is also a cheat function that gives you money if you just want to play and not worry about the monetary aspect. There should be a page on the wiki with these codes.

Basically, play with whatever method gives you the most entertainment from your video game. :) And make an AAR of your adventures!
Last edited by GIJoe597 on Mar 30 2012, edited 2 times in total.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Warmaster101
Warrant Officer

Post by Warmaster101 »

I see, never thought about it that way before, it is a disadvantage to those smaller unarmed countries and an unfair advangtage for powerful countries to exploit.

I actually didnt know that :lol: i thought it cost just the same for deployed and reserved troops grrr im slow haha.

I started a game recently and changed some of the options i usually play on just to experiment, i started with units and it is going pretty well to be honest, could be better though not raking in a huge amount of money, but im not losing any either so thats good. Im just working up slowly and playing with new settings for a change, i just need to learn more patience, i get annoyed at the game sometimes cause everything takes forever lol im used to faster paced games but im learning, slowly, but learning. :lol:

Also thanks for your advice i appreciate it :-)
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Great.

This game, indeed this genre of games, is slower paced than what people typically will play. Which is why, by and large, this is a niche game, like most other "grand strategy" titles. It does take patience over "running and gunning" as it were, but the payoff can be more satisfying in the long run.

Take your time, work things in a logical manner, and build slowly. Try to work diplomatic deals with other countries that you see yourself aligning with in the future. There are some advantages to having allies, one is you get some great deals on trades. Also, allies will send you money if you need it and they have excess.

Not sure what your goals are in game, I will many times simply set back and try to influence/shape the world in the image I want it to be. You would be surprised how much influence you can bring to bear over the rest of the world without even firing a shot.

I can tell you without a doubt, if you can find someone to play a multiplayer game with, you will have much more fun. Think about the country just a few borders away, now imagine it with a human player, the unpredictability that brings :)

Warmaster101
Warrant Officer

Post by Warmaster101 »

Yeah I agree, it is very satisfying when you achieve the goals you set for your self, especially with a game like this, it requires a lot of thought and patience, unlike say the TW series where you just flatten all opposition in a few turns.

I do try to take my time, think things over such as alliances and wars I fight, but its still a steep learning curve. I've had this game a while now, and I do play it on and off, so I'm not a complete noob at it I just need to spend more time playing it and trying new things. Although I do have a lot of noobish moments haha. :lol:

Basically, my main goal in the game is just to simply run my country, defend it, build it up into a great power. I'm not really interested in world domintion through wars, which is strange cause I LOVE war, battles, strategy and tactics. What you described there is what I do try to do, I want to force my will on the world through diplomacy and intelligence rather than through military might, so much more satisfying I think.

I would love to have a multiplayer game, but I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet, it would be a greater game experience though I will definitely try it in the future! As long as I can find a decent person to play it with. :-)
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Have you considered a multplayer game where the players work together? These types of games are ideal for people that do not yet feel "up to speed" to play against another human. When you work together you learn tips, tricks, methods of doing things from each other. Very good way to play the game, especially when comfort levels with the game are much different between the people playing.

Warmaster101
Warrant Officer

Post by Warmaster101 »

Hmm sounds interesting, i may actually try that soon, i would really love to have a multiplayer game! but, i dont want to get a player that will just obliterate me in a few years and i think a lot of people would just for fun lol but yeah, still gonna try it i think just for fun :-)
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I am fairly certain if you advertise on these forums, in the MP section and stated you wanted a cooperative game as opposed to a kill each other game you would find what you are looking for. The largest factor in playing SR MP is the investment of time. The last MP I played, as an example, took 18 months, real time. But of course you can set a goal or an end date if you like so not all games would continue for that long.

All that being typed, I am always willing to play MP via Gameranger. I prefer it because I have used it and it works and it came bundled when I purchased SR.

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”