what type of game do you guys play usually?

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

NukemRico
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

what type of game do you guys play usually?

Post by NukemRico »

While aimlessly bombing around in the Sandbox is fun and a great way to learn, its also getting rapidly boring without some kind of goal in mind (hence 'One Coffee To Rule Them All' http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 54&t=19293). which mode/campaign/etc do you you guys play most, and what victory do you aim for? I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but that sounds interesting.
Lost control and went off the steep learning curve.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: what type of game do you guys play usually?

Post by GIJoe597 »

I generally have a personal goal at the start of all of my games. I suppose at this stage playing any country that is considered a huge under dog is mostly what I do. However, there are some games I will still play as a major power and "role play", even single player games. I always set myself rules, such as no Tech trading, or only using units I can research and produce domestically. These add tension and my enjoyment to the game. Anyone can build 10,000 units and take over the world, try doing it with 200. That was one of my most enjoyable games. I also never save with the intent to reload if things go bad. I make a decision and live with the consequences. These are some of the things I do to increase my enjoyment of the game.

I actually, mostly, enjoy multiplayer. I do need at least a basic set of house rules; otherwise it is not a game just chaos, in my opinion. Unfortunately, the slow pace of MP does not lend itself well to gaming. I have found very few people which are willing to invest the necessary time required to play any meaningful campaign.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
NukemRico
Lieutenant

Post by NukemRico »

thx for your reply. do you play in Sandbox mode or GC/SW? so far I've just done sandbox mode and the AI countries don't seem to have a particular goal in mind either. Trying to beat the AI to something, ala the EU series with its scoring system, would be great. I was playing with the game settings the other day and found the Victory Conditions tab, with quite a variety of conditions (complete, capital, tech score, etc). Could you point me to a resource that explains them plz? My copy of Gold came with no manual, so I've been learning what I can from the SupremeWiki, but I probably still ask alot of dumb questions.
NukemRico
Lieutenant

Post by NukemRico »

I found the victory conditions in one of the SupremeWikis. Do you usually play Capital, or do you prefer to have to capture every city to take over a country? starting practice games for my One Coffee To Rule Them All AAR, and cant decide which way to go. Also, do you leave the Enhanced Spotting and Enhanced Range turned on? Seems like a cheat to me. I'd prefer units on do what they really can.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

*I*, usually do not play capture capital; mainly because I cannot conceive of a country just giving up if their capital is captured. A country will on average only move capital 3-4 times before they admit defeat. Of course this varies depending on difficulty setting and country size, but I will stubbornly capture them all till they capitulate. I never leave the enhanced spotting or enhanced ranges turned on.

NukemRico
Lieutenant

Post by NukemRico »

cool thx. for my test game I have enhanced spotting/range off, and can't remember whether I took capital or total. or the actual game I'll do Total. Also when I get ready for the real thing I will start and either achieve my goal or be crushed by enemies. I mean I certainly try to win whatever games I play, but as long as I had a good time I really don't care how it turns out. I think a battle report where the player goes down in a flaming heap can be just as interesting if it was a fun game. I too will only buy unit designs and not tech, and no tech brokering. Course right now Colombia is up to its eyeballs in moneys so don't even need it. Now I just need to learn how to produce proper screenshots for uploading.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

The easiest way to take a screen shot is simply press the PrtScn button on your keyboard, then paste it into Paint, for example. I look forward to reading your AAR.

NukemRico
Lieutenant

Post by NukemRico »

well yes but i downloaded an image tool to resize them so my screenshots aren't 40 acres wide. Paint's resize just wrecks em.
Saarud
Lieutenant

Post by Saarud »

I also use many houserules to make it more fun for me. I never ever trade anything with the AI since in my eyes it is completely broken. Also since I think the strong point in SR 2020 is the battlesimulation in itself that is what I want to play. Nowadays when I play I set a goal for me to accopmplish asap. In my actual game I just started I am playing Germany and my single and only goal is to conquer France as soon as possible from game start. I am not allowed to fiddle with economy, trade or diplomacy, only with my military forces. So the sooner I can get France on it's knees the better I feel about myself. :)
backes42
Warrant Officer

Post by backes42 »

I suggest recruiting a friend to the game. Then play MP LAN, its fun sitting accross from the guy who's country ÿoure about to destroy. You can agree on rules and make your own scenerios. We use no garrisons and start without units. Sometimes we're allies, set our own objectives...last allied game we saved North America, Europe and Japan for last for a massive battle.
ollobrains
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ollobrains »

Take over the world with the smallest country as quickly as possible
Niko465
Colonel

Post by Niko465 »

I actually do Rp games. Doing Challenges does not attract considering the time needed to do them.. I prefer epic World Wars :-)
Nicolau Abraão Rojas
Brazillian United Front
South East State
NukemRico
Lieutenant

Post by NukemRico »

doh! been gone a while and totally forgot I started this thread. I like an earlier post about starting with a small country. I was looking earlier and Costa Rica doesn't even start out with an fabs at all! Gonna try a test game with them and see how it goes. :D
Niko465
Colonel

Post by Niko465 »

Due to the dumpness of AI, I united all European's forces against me(Russia) with the multiplayer. They archived to destroy my assault forces for now and Warsaw changed of hand over 6 times.
Nicolau Abraão Rojas
Brazillian United Front
South East State

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”