cause an oil supply catastrophe ;)

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

NukemRico
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

cause an oil supply catastrophe ;)

Post by NukemRico »

just getting ready to start my first real game and between being so noob yet and going with Israel, I'll probably get beat like a baby seal. But down the road when I'm better, I think it'd be fun to try to take over as many oil exporting regions as possible and then stop all the exports and try to cause a worldwide catastrophe. I dunno if the AI's will go to war over resource scarcity or not, but if they do it sounds like a recipe for good clean mindless violence. :D
Lost control and went off the steep learning curve.
zorro
Sergeant

Re: cause an oil supply catastrophe ;)

Post by zorro »

haha I thought of trying something like that too. At the very least you would be rolling in money from control of all the oil. Even just taking out Saudi Arabia you'd probally effect the prices if you did not sell on the world market. You'd have one hell of a stockpile too.

I've heard of people doing this on Victoria (game by paradox). The game is full of resources and people would invade all the regions that had sulfur (which was needed for guns, ammo, artillery, and explosives) and bring them under their control and would not sell them on the world market (just like the Supreme Ruler 2020 world market) as a result no one in the world could make weapons but you.
NukemRico
Lieutenant

Post by NukemRico »

ya a friend of mine did something like that in Capitalism too. :)
zorro
Sergeant

Post by zorro »

It be intresting because with no oil their military could not fuction
NukemRico
Lieutenant

Post by NukemRico »

well i doubt i could totally shut the world oil market down, but a significant bite out of it would have everyone wanting to kill each other (or me) for whats left.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

This has been tried, one fella details it on these forums somewhere.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Tioz
Sergeant

Post by Tioz »

I did something like that. I was playing with the US. Took over the Saudis, Egypt, Iran, Iraq. The whole middle east...After that i nuked nearly all the Russian Oil Industrial complexes. So the top 7 (including the US because i did not export Oil) where shut down and still, the price was only about 250$ after 5 Years playing.

/edit
And the Wars around the world where still going on. Ok there where running out of supplys from time to time but this is a typical AI problem...

Ah and I was playing Ruges Mod.
Last edited by Tioz on Oct 14 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

So many regions can produce oil. If every region that could produce oil produced the maximum, My guestimates would make it around 4-5 times the world demand. However most regions only produce demand +10 percent becouse there is no export demand for oil.

Now if you took over the major oil producers of the middle east, destroyed Russia's,US's, Central/south America's, and Europes oil production facilities, Then continued to buy as much stock of oil as you can (talking about a trillon $ daily for 2 weeks or so). This could effectivly cause a world shortage of oil. However you would need to continue importing as much as the market would permit daily for the shortage to last and for it to affect other nations. Also somtime during this the UN will give aid to some of those nations via oil donations.

So you will need to target every oil producing region and destroy its oil production. Of course once you conqure the middle east you will have already so many enemies, will probly already be out of the UN too.

If you do decide to try this, make an AAR of it.
backes42
Warrant Officer

Post by backes42 »

Have your country produce as much oil as possible but do not sell it on the market. Start from the top of the production list and nuke all oil facilites and you will see the price skyrocket. I've taken out the entire worlds oil production you can make their militaries grind to a halt or make a trilliont dollars in 1 day of selling it. If you don't sell oil you can crash the world economy.
backes42
Warrant Officer

Post by backes42 »

Just finished a MP game with a friend....we destroyed 99% of the world oil production (what we didn't own) shut down all exports. Waited until the supply dried up and had him sell....2.3trillion in sales in ONE day.
NukemRico
Lieutenant

Post by NukemRico »

haha very cool! I like oddball ideas and its cool to see someone has actually done that one. also love the mention in Ruge's mod thread of a possible 'tipping point' where the world just descends into chaos. would be cool to try to cause something like that as a small country. maybe make several groups of alliances/mutual defense treaties and then start a war amongst them without participating and just turtle in and try to survive, and start spreading out afterwards. :evil:
backes42
Warrant Officer

Post by backes42 »

You wouldn't happen to be in s.illinois would ya Rico?
NukemRico
Lieutenant

Post by NukemRico »

indeed I am. one of the ideas I'm thinking of is playing Shattered World as yet another corrupt Illinois governor and just running amuck. or Australia as Lord Humungous with the same goal.
ollobrains
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ollobrains »

if BG ever look at a sequel or reworking 2020 outside next to no chance however shale oil deposits and CSG deposits could be farmed ( i think coal syth oil plants are already ingame) perhaps the AI COuld build them if short of oil and they have coal deposits
backes42
Warrant Officer

Post by backes42 »

NukemRico wrote:indeed I am. one of the ideas I'm thinking of is playing Shattered World as yet another corrupt Illinois governor and just running amuck. or Australia as Lord Humungous with the same goal.
I'm around the Alton area myself.

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”