Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Shoedidoe
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Brasil (Brazil)

Post by Shoedidoe »

Hi, fellow Supreme Rulers.

I´m 99,9999...% noob at this game, so forgive me my noobness once in a every time.

I like to play AOE, but got a little borred with the repetition and dumb AI, so after searching for a new RTS, rod some articles talking highly about SR2020 and decided to give it a try. My first impression was not good, since I had, have, no ideia of what to do to play it. Slowly, veeeery slowly, I believe I got some understanding of the tools.

I would like to share some impressions with people playing noobinly with Brasil in this topic, mostly about how they solve some problems with the country. I´m playing on the sandbox World 2020 and chose Brasil to see if all this talk about being a new "super-power" is actually workable.

Still don´t like the HUGE amount of clicks and HUGER amount of time it takes to admin the country. Together with my noobness, it has and is leading to HUGE problems. After a few disasters and damn Argentinians attacking me EVERY TIME, I got it not declaring war om me... yet. I´m not interested in wars for now, since is being a real pain in the ass have the country run smoothly.

In the actual game, I make a HUGE mistake, but don´t wanna start a new game. Like I said, it takes a looooong time and a looooooot of clicks to to actualy start playing, lol...

I got very tired of the lack of IND.G and built a HUGE amount of IND. The result was my ELE. going sky high and the money I´m losing on it is way worst the money I was losing on IND.G and my INFL. is above 20% a long time, together with a GDP of 17 and UNEPLOY. of 2.2.

Also, I got tired of Argentina declaring war and start the actual game producing a lot of MIL.G and garrisons and all the shebang for keeping the sore bastards at bay. Lotta more money did go maintaining it as well huge amount of army on active.

So, now Argentina is not in war with me, but I have huge need of ELEC. as well high PROD. costs, low UNEPLOY., high INFL., etc.

I deactivated a lotta IND and scramble here and there to low INLF. and get more UNEPLOY. My treasure is doing better, INFL. is painfully receding, but still high PROD. costs and low UNEPLOY.

So, anybody more playing Brasil nooblly? I´ve read the guy kicking ass with the country at the other topic, but he´s way too smart for me to follow.
Shoedidoe
Warrant Officer

Re: Brasil (Brazil)

Post by Shoedidoe »

Just saw there is a sub-forum for scenarios. Can some moderator move this topic to there?

Thx and sorry. Should have seeing it before.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

The most important thing for me when playing as Brazil, (or any game actually), is to first, build a bridge across the river at Manaus. Then start building facilities for my people to be employed. I will also lower taxes as much as I can so the people will have some spending money.

Brazil has a very good supply of Coal, from Sao Paulo all the way south to the border. Use it and build coal power plants, as many as you can. Remember for most every type of facility you build it increases your elecrical demand. Coal is cheap and the plants build fast. Once you have things settled, switch to nuclear as soon as you can. Brazil as a good supply of Uranium deposits also.

I am also a FIRM believer in setting infrastructure spending on maximum.

If you are having issues with Argentina, simply hold the line at the river between Paraguay and Uraguay. River crossings are easy to defend.
Last edited by GIJoe597 on Apr 27 2011, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Shoedidoe
Warrant Officer

Post by Shoedidoe »

Thank you

I started a new game and very fast had all on green. Argentina lowered it´s atack level to medium and I thought I could start growing my military power and make the huge mistake of building all sorts of military stuf. A few "days" later, it bite me back and I suffer a HUGE deficiency on MIL.G, that impacted on IND.G, that impacted on ELE, that impacted on my ECO., resulting on TRES. on red, growing INFL. and low UNEPL.

It sucks has very hard, dude...

The good news is that I saw that the inicial making of roads is a good investment and yes, I supply the Amazon with bridges and roads from everywhere to anywhere.

The COAL thing is a good tip, thxs. I don´t now if I can save my actual situation, since my TRES. is running on red a few "days" from now, but if not, I will do it next time, for sure!
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I look forward to seeing you make Brazil a superpower. In my current game, AI Brazil has conquered Venezuela and Argentina. :)

Shoedidoe
Warrant Officer

Post by Shoedidoe »

Not very defensible country, I think.

I moved the Capital to S. Paulo. Never liked Brasília, build by military dictators, even if is a lot more defensible then S. Paulo (reason why they build it there in the first place, anyway).

It will take a long time before I can do something less "noob" with Brasil, though. I`m still learning the game and it takes a looooot of time, clicks and has a loooot of nuances, most of which I still don´t see. I´ll say again: best RTS ever! AOE is a child´s plays in comparison...

Got a e-mail: due too much corruption, I lost 1,700M on IND.G.!

HUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUA!!!

Even the legendary brazilian´s corruption BG got right!

I increased my expenses with Law, but I don´t know if it will prevent future corruption. Also, I step up the COAL thing, as well being busy with somemore comprehensive net of roads. Big deficiency in transportation, there.

I have another question: the so called "pré-sal" is present in the game (nice done, BG!), but only ONE hex if usable. I know the rest is UN "property", but then so is the actual hex. It will be possible to build more OIL.D. on the others hexs there? there is a LOT around the pré-sal and would be a shame to waste so much OIL.D.

Thx for the chat and...

Nobody else is playing Brasil?

P.S.: also, there is no way of increasing the tourism? didn´t find any building for it...
Shoedidoe
Warrant Officer

Post by Shoedidoe »

joke politically incorrect:

A Brazilian and a Argentinian found a lamp in the pampas. The genius give each one a wish.

The Argentinian said:

"I hate those Brazilian pigs, so I wish a wall all around Argentina to keep them out."

Puf! the genius did that.

The Brazilian asked the genius if the wall was strong and impenetrable.

"Of course, my powers are the best!"

"Then I wish you to fill it with water", said the Brazilian.
tedesco
Corporal

Post by tedesco »

Shoedidoe wrote:joke politically incorrect:

A Brazilian and a Argentinian found a lamp in the pampas. The genius give each one a wish.

The Argentinian said:

"I hate those Brazilian pigs, so I wish a wall all around Argentina to keep them out."

Puf! the genius did that.

The Brazilian asked the genius if the wall was strong and impenetrable.

"Of course, my powers are the best!"

"Then I wish you to fill it with water", said the Brazilian.
hehe

Classic
Bist du blind, siehst du nicht
Galindo
Lieutenant

Post by Galindo »

Not very defensible country, I think.
Well, amazon to the north, a narrow passage trough a barricaded river full of mauntains in the way to the south and a full ocupied coast, thats pretty much a fort itself. :D
I moved the Capital to S. Paulo. Never liked Brasília, build by military dictators, even if is a lot more defensible then S. Paulo (reason why they build it there in the first place, anyway).
Sorry, but it was not. JK "build it," an elected president. The construction of a capital in the center of the country was predicted in the constitution, but no president before him wanted the chalenge. Not for its defensive position since Brasil was never realy threatened by an invasion of any sort.
I increased my expenses with Law, but I don´t know if it will prevent future corruption.
If i'm not mistaken that's a random event and I think it can't be stoped.
I have another question: the so called "pré-sal" is present in the game (nice done, BG!), but only ONE hex if usable. I know the rest is UN "property", but then so is the actual hex. It will be possible to build more OIL.D. on the others hexs there? there is a LOT around the pré-sal and would be a shame to waste so much OIL.D.
Yeah those are not the pré-sal, those are just the normal oil plataforms, you can't build in the "UN water" there are some topics about it, but it wont realy be a problem, the land oil is much cheaper anyways.
Nobody else is playing Brasil?
I'm playing again, it's been a while but I just formated my pc and I came across the SR cd these days so I think I'll conquer the world again. 8)
P.S.: also, there is no way of increasing the tourism? didn´t find any building for it...
Well I think in time of peace and with a good ecconomy and stuff it increases, but I'm not really sure how it works, but you can't build anything to improve it... lame I know and mostly the "less importand contries" lack some attention from the devs with stuff like that, but in the end I'm just happy they are there at all. :wink:
"Ordem e Progresso"
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I would not build roads everywhere. Remember every road you build means one more highway for the enemy to run down. Do not confuse building roads in this game with other games. There really are no good reasons to build roads to everywhere. I only suggest building that one bridge south of Manaus because it is ludicrous they cannot cross there. The only thing a road is good for, other than transportation is helping supply to move. You can get the same effect with railroads and they are cheaper. But again, no reason to rail your whole country.

Concerning Random Events. When you have high tax and low Social Services your random events are always negative. Once you have low taxes and high Social Services you will start getting good random events. As an example, Central Bank error in your favor, extra 1,004 m in your treasury, etc.

Tourism is basically a hands off thing. BG claims it is calculated in there somewhere. As Galindo posts, being at peace and one would assume having your Law set at recommended might help. There are Tourist Attraction buildings, but they are pre placed by BG and you cannot build any more. You will see some in Rio de Janeiro.

There are also Business Sectors, again, hands off and you cannot build any. If memory serves you do not have any in Brazil, but you can see one in New York.

Keep going!

Shoedidoe
Warrant Officer

Post by Shoedidoe »

GIJoe597 wrote:I would not build roads everywhere. Remember every road you build means one more highway for the enemy to run down. Do not confuse building roads in this game with other games. There really are no good reasons to build roads to everywhere. I only suggest building that one bridge south of Manaus because it is ludicrous they cannot cross there. The only thing a road is good for, other than transportation is helping supply to move. You can get the same effect with railroads and they are cheaper. But again, no reason to rail your whole country.
I did build connecting the isolated places/cities that had none, mostly to speed the engineers. Also because I read somewhere that doing so, I would have a negative impact on production costs.

The most were build near the front where Argentina starts it´s wars, so troops can get there faster.

"Concerning Random Events. When you have high tax and low Social Services your random events are always negative. Once you have low taxes and high Social Services you will start getting good random events. As an example, Central Bank error in your favor, extra 1,004 m in your treasury, etc."

Dude, I´m getting really confused with the Inflation and have read several posts here "teaching" how to deal with it. None are the same and none has worked until now and again my Inflation is growing, GDP growing, Treasury diving, UNEPL. diving, precisely when I´m getting closer to self-sufficiency. It´s frustrating, because I´m felling powerless to deal with it. |O

I understand there is relation between those 4 Riders of Apocalypse, but nothing I do has any impact on then.

I´m convinced that nothing worked because all countries has to deal with it in a different way. So I did not find the "Brazilian way" yet. Maybe one of you Brazilian SR can give me a tip on that? 8O

Also, I´m finding difficult to make alliances in all continents but Middle East. Is that normal? I have to pay for all diplomatic efforts, what is a HUGE amount of money for something I don´t know if will have any impact on my aspirations as SR.
Shoedidoe
Warrant Officer

Post by Shoedidoe »

Galindo wrote:Well, amazon to the north, a narrow passage trough a barricaded river full of mauntains in the way to the south and a full ocupied coast, thats pretty much a fort itself. :D
Sure, I mean it in the way that if some powerful potency wanted invaded it, can set bases anywhere it wishes and stay there bulling me. I don´t know if happens, but I don´t look forward moving troops thousands km to some distant front.
Sorry, but it was not. JK "build it," an elected president. The construction of a capital in the center of the country was predicted in the constitution, but no president before him wanted the chalenge. Not for its defensive position since Brasil was never realy threatened by an invasion of any sort.
Yeah, Mubarak, Saddam and many others were also "elected" Presidents. Not big reassurance there.

Sure Brasília served well the dictators against popular manifestations and still serve. Against alien enemies, it was, still and will be for a long time a moot point. Contrary to what the game does, it will be a cold day in Hell before a war happens there.

"I'm playing again, it's been a while but I just formated my pc and I came across the SR cd these days so I think I'll conquer the world again."

Can you give me a baby-steps for the first months? I´m having havoc with my Economics BEFORE can do anything of such :cry:
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Shoedidoe wrote:Dude, I´m getting really confused with the Inflation and have read several posts here "teaching" how to deal with it. None are the same and none has worked until now and again my Inflation is growing, GDP growing, Treasury diving, UNEPL. diving, precisely when I´m getting closer to self-sufficiency. It´s frustrating, because I´m felling powerless to deal with it.
The reason you may be seeing multiple ways of dealing with it, is because there are multiple ways of dealing with it. Inflation in its simplest form is when the price of your products start rising. Your people get less for their money.

As you build facilities you have to spend more money from your treasury, this prompts your minister to raise prices to help offset costs. Bam, inflation starts rising. Your best bet, until you have a handle on dealing with it is to start small, only build a few facilities at a time. SR really takes a very long time to play due to the length it takes to build almost anything in game. You need to take a 1 year approach, e.i. where do I want to be in one year. You cannot just build like mad starting out, as you are finding out it’s a killer on the treasury.

Try to get your Unemployment in the 3%-5% range. It will start to drop automatically as you build facilities and your citizens take the new jobs. When you start the game you have 9.8% unemployment, every time a new facility (civilian) comes online those unemployed people will take those jobs. This means your Unemployment lowers and your tax base increases. Drafting military also lowers your unemployment. People without a job may join the military just to draw a paycheck, so again your Unemployment drops. The critical point is if/when your Unemployment drops to less than 3%. It can reach such a low level that you start having to pay your workers more money to do jobs. Example: 1 office has slots for 10 people but there are not 10 unemployed people to hire. This means 6 people will have to do the job of 10 and they will want a higher paycheck since they are working harder.

Brazil starts the game with entirely too many units, try scrapping or selling many of the more useless or excess units. This will lower your burden and add revenue to the treasury.

In short, there are multiple ways to the same path but the game mechanics are the same for every country. What works in Russia will also work in Brazil, etc. Lower inflation, give people jobs that want them, long term planning and do not go overboard with building facilities or military units.

Keep trying, you can do it.

EDIT: Lower your DEFCON to 5 and stay out of war if you can, for now. High DEFCON really impacts your treasury.
Last edited by GIJoe597 on Apr 30 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Shoedidoe
Warrant Officer

Post by Shoedidoe »

Thx, dude. I started a lotta more calmer and things are going smother, but GDP and INFL. still growing, as new facilities going open and jobs are token. True: doing so a lotta slower than I´m used to.

How can I slow it? change taxes? change social costs?

Already Family and Social subsidies are lower than recommended, but INFL. still growing.

Getting more the felling that I´m REALLY playing now :D

Still early, only 3 months. INFL. at 3.8%, UNEPL. at 5.7% and GDP at 8.5556.

The good news is that Treasury is not going down at the end of the "day", anymore, so I fell more confident in investing. Did buy some Tech to improve Health, the ones that lower costs and step ratings up, to see if I attract some immigrants.

After expending a lotta bucks buying Techs and IND.G from them, USA had no problem accepting a alliance. For a modicum sum, the greed bastards :roll:
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Seems it is starting to work.. Excellent. Be wary of buying techs that give a boost to your tech level. If you purchase them, instead of researching them, you do not get the level bonus.

Looking forward to an AAR on how Brazil conquers the world!

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”