Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

JPerkins
Sergeant
Human: Yes

An idea to consider for later games

Post by JPerkins »

Hi,

One of the ideas I had to make the gameplay a little better (for some I know) would be to use leaders for military groups.

Right now units are not in any kind of hierarchical organization, just free floating units. What if you could create military orgs similar to HOI with leaders who each have their own peculiar tactics and quirks? In other words, you would have no direct control over the individual units, just which Division or Army or Corp they belong to.

Picture this, you have the 9th Infantry Div. (9ID). Its commanded by Gen. Bullock who can take a total of 14 units. Gen Bullock is known to be aggressive, a great attacker but poor with materials so uses extra. When fresh units come off the line, you assign 9ID: 5 Inf, 2Tank, 2 Air Def, 1 AT, 2 Art, 2TRP. You give 9ID the command to take a city and he uses his resources to attack the city. You give another unit, say 6ID a command to support 9ID. The General then uses his units without further direction from you, prone to his quirks and strengths. You could set up airwings and naval fleets like this too.

This would also play better for the AI since they could focus their assets better and AI command routines could be easily processed instead of the current 1 unit at a time or 500 units at a time modes. If you really wanted you could set up an org chart that would be theater level and then it would be much much easier for the AI and the player to easily see where and what he needs to flesh out his individual attacking and defending groups.

Its just a suggestion and seems a little more realistic as a simulation because Generals don't always listen to Politicians etc. Also, it would put the military aspect of the game in a little more balanced state because the AI is kind of feeble in its approach to warfare. In this way the AI could be assured of sending a balanced attack and defense. Also, the player wouldn't have to micro-manage and would be able to marshall his forces without the huge logistics nightmare it is now.

I know this is a radical change from the way it is now so its just food for thought. If you could somehow incorporate this into the game I think it would vastly improve the experience. Some people like to micro-manage so making it an option to be able to control individual units (like using the ROE) would be ideal.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: An idea to consider for later games

Post by Balthagor »

Indeed, Hundane's link points you to an existing thread on this topic, I'll quote you there.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”