beginer's questions

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

ash874
Corporal
Human: Yes

beginer's questions

Post by ash874 »

i noticed that you always send people to look for answers in existing threads and wiki
but thats just frustrating
and it causes the forum to be half dead
so ill post my questions in this thread for whoever has the energy and will to answer
and in order to not flood the forum with old questions i will just continue adding them to this thread

so i play my first game
i picked israel since im israeli
israel doesnt seem to be a very good choice for a beginer but after reading the AAR of gonzar about the mongol invasion i got the feeling that the game is not THAT complex.

all settings are default and the campign map is shattered world
i locked the ministers from doing anything
gave complete control over the garrison to the minister
cause i dont know how to really control the units
especially all 350 of them

i did not attack anyone although strategically it would have been the most sound way to play with israel. but its my first game so i decided to not attack
so what happened is that all im doing all day long is
1)taking care to buy manually all the goods i run out of
2)establish diplomatic relations around the world
3)interfere whenever im about to go bankrupt (usually in the form of selling a design)

so my main questions at this point are
1) its extremelly annoying to contact all these nations (shattered world is even more so).
i cant even imagine starting a new game and repeating that experience
how do you handle this problem
2) i tried to use engineers to speed builds up
but i didnt understand how to do it
i sent them to the spot but i dont think anything happened
3)what does it mean that i have a UN subsidy of 100%?
4)this is probably my main question
israel begins without self suffeciency in timber
i built an insdustrial complex with 3 mills on a spot which is bright red (a lot of timber)
but the production raised only a little bit
i produce now 24000 something instead of 12000 (i dont remember exactly)
the thing is that considering the time and money to build these facilities and taking in account the very little money that selling timber gives you, it seems like it wasnt really a good investment
maybe i was better off just importing timber

how do you calculate how much pf a product you are going to produce and in how many days (or years) the investment will pay off - lets not forget the matter of maintanance and electrecity

5)when set to import automatically, will the minister seek out the better deals?
6)is making deal or refusing them changes relations? does the minister pick from who to import inteligently?
7)do reletions deteriorate over time?
8)what do i do with the pals? they cause this loyalty issue which as i understand is lowering my production
how can i ever make them loyal
or (if i want to roleplay)
how can i change the demographic situation in the west bank?

thats all for now
thanks in advance for everyone who will bother with this

i forgot to say the most important thing
the game is very very cool
great job by bg's team
i dont understand anything in computers but it feels like this game is also built right
like you can change things relatively easily and come up with constant updates
compared to total war when every little thing causes ctds and people brake their heads for months at a time to figure out whats wrong
great job guys
srmushroom
Corporal

Re: beginer's questions

Post by srmushroom »

Hehe,

I put my questions here too.

8) Combat:
- I try to command my military, but they "never" listen to me.
- How does close combat work. As example a battle between 2 infantry teams: When is the close combat attack / defense used, when the anti infantry attack / ground defense? (Is this related to No Visibility/Close combat overlay)?
9) Production/Research:
-Which unit design should I research? There are often very similar units.
-sometimes the cheaper is better (as example RQ4A-Global Hawk has same values as RQ1-Predator except that it has more range, higher speed, and is cheaper(!)
10) Diplomacy:
-Would you buy/trade technology, or research it on your own? Buying is very expensive.. Usually i have to trade 1:5 or worse?
-Is there a map overlay allied vs neutral vs enemy states?
-I can buy tech i already have, as example pioneers at the beginning. Are the new pioneers i buy anyhow better?

thx, and sorry for hijacking.
srmushroom
Corporal

Post by srmushroom »

Wow, I just noticed the sick and pretty awesome nation based sound (I play the didgeridoo-country)

9b) Australia, in opposition to the united states(of world http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 54&t=13070) I can't research strategic bbrs. Am i missing some prerequesites, or can i only buy it from another country?
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

i noticed that you always send people to look for answers in existing threads and wiki
so ill post my questions in this thread for whoever has the energy and will to answer
and in order to not flood the forum with old questions i will just continue adding them to this thread
Reason is that most questions have been answered many times before and using the forums search feature would answer your questions just as easily as a response. However, there are a few thats always willing to help out.
1) its extremelly annoying to contact all these nations (shattered world is even more so).
Depends on your play style. You dont have to keep buying goods manually, your minister will still buy commodities you need , just not a whole lot of them. Diplomatic deals dont have to be done especially if you plan on conquering the whole entire globe.
They do speed up construction if they are in the same or adjacent hex. Its based on how many engineers units you have and their strength.
i built an insdustrial complex with 3 mills on a spot which is bright red (a lot of timber)
the thing is that considering the time and money to build these facilities and taking in account the very little money that selling timber gives you, it seems like it wasnt really a good investment
Your probally better off importing the timber but you can increase your production by increasing supply % in those hexes and improving your infrastructure rating which also helps lower the production costs of all commodities.
5)when set to import automatically, will the minister seek out the better deals?
He/she imports from the world market which has a price that usually changes daily for each commodity.
6)is making deal or refusing them changes relations? does the minister pick from who to import inteligently?
Making deals helps your diplomacy ratings not sure if refusing them hurts though.
They do in some optional settings. Very hard diplomacy makes you work very hard to keep up your relationships. :wink:
what do i do with the pals? they cause this loyalty issue which as i understand is lowering my production
No way to change loyalty
- I try to command my military, but they "never" listen to me.
Turn your minister initiative off.
- How does close combat work. As example a battle between 2 infantry teams: When is the close combat attack / defense used, when the anti infantry attack / ground defense? (Is this related to No Visibility/Close combat overlay)?
Search some of Balthagors posts, I know he explained this very well in one of them recently (last few months).

-
Is there a map overlay allied vs neutral vs enemy states?
If you scroll out you can see all the capitals as colored stars. Red are enemy capitals, Blue are allies, Yellow neutrals and Green is you.
-I can buy tech i already have, as example pioneers at the beginning. Are the new pioneers i buy anyhow better?
There is some kind of difference, it may just be a graphic but its different somehow.
9b) Australia, in opposition to the united states(of world http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 54&t=13070) I can't research strategic bbrs. Am i missing some prerequesites, or can i only buy it from another country?

Bbrs? Not sure what your talking about but the link is about Ruges Mod which may explain why you cant research it. He added in alot of new techs and new designs in his mod.
srmushroom
Corporal

Post by srmushroom »

Bbrs? Not sure what your talking about but the link is about Ruges Mod which may explain why you cant research it. He added in alot of new techs and new designs in his mod.
First thank You for that awesome answers.
I am playing the un-modded game, with newest updates. In the world2020 Australia i can't research and build any strategic bombers, while as US I can get some.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Oh ok, Some regions just wont be able to research alot of designs till later tech levels. U.S.A. probally has one the most amount of region specific designs in the game then probally be Russia and China.

Im unfamiliar with most of the late game designs but it seems most are generic (non region specific) and Im pretty sure theres a Strategic Bomber that becomes available to research but not sure what Tech Level you need for it to be researched.
ash874
Corporal

Post by ash874 »

thanks hundane
this helps a lot
battlegoat9787
Colonel

Post by battlegoat9787 »

ash874 wrote:i noticed that you always send people to look for answers in existing threads and wiki

so i play my first game
i picked israel since im israeli
israel doesnt seem to be a very good choice for a beginer but after reading the AAR of gonzar about the mongol invasion i got the feeling that the game is not THAT complex.

all settings are default and the campign map is shattered world
i locked the ministers from doing anything
gave complete control over the garrison to the minister
cause i dont know how to really control the units
especially all 350 of them

i did not attack anyone although strategically it would have been the most sound way to play with israel. but its my first game so i decided to not attack
so what happened is that all im doing all day long is
1)taking care to buy manually all the goods i run out of
2)establish diplomatic relations around the world
3)interfere whenever im about to go bankrupt (usually in the form of selling a design)

so my main questions at this point are
3)what does it mean that i have a UN subsidy of 100%?

how do you calculate how much pf a product you are going to produce and in how many days (or years) the investment will pay off - lets not forget the matter of maintanance and electrecity

8)what do i do with the pals? they cause this loyalty issue which as i understand is lowering my production

thats all for now
thanks in advance for everyone who will bother with this

i forgot to say the most important thing
the game is very very cool
great job by bg's team
i dont understand anything in computers but it feels like this game is also built right
like you can change things relatively easily and come up with constant updates
compared to total war when every little thing causes ctds and people brake their heads for months at a time to figure out whats wrong
great job guys
First of all, welcome to the game. After reviewing your thread, I've come to the conclusion that you should probably play on World of 2020 first, choosing of course a nice and easy country to begin with. Australia is a good choice since not only because its an island nation, but also because it has all the resources that you need to be self sufficient. It will also give you an idea of how the game economics work. I can understand why you want to play as Israel, that is of course fine by all means. However, its very hard to play as Israel since its small, surrounded by countries which hate it and in Global Crisis, Israel is usually the first country to be wiped out. So my advice is, avoid playing hard games at the start and get familiar first with the game itself.

Ok now to answer your questions.

1) Unfortunately there is no other way around this tedious task since your ministers lack the capabilities to conduct diplomatic agreements with foreign countries. This can only be done by the player "Manually" country after country.
My advice, don't play shattered world since their are more countries (fictional) that you would have to contact, which is why its more annoying for you. Instead, play the normal maps first.

2) This works by placing the engineer units on the actual/adjacent hex that the project is located and just leave it there. After that you can only wait till the project is done. So even if it doesn't look like it, believe me it does work.

3) UN subsidy is the reflection that the UN has on you, i.e. how much the UN approves of your actions around the world. So if you are a goodie two-shoes, then the UN subsidy on you will increase. If vice versa you are a bad boy, then UN subsidy will decrease. You can just use the cheat shelovesme to give you 100% UN subsidy rating if UN approval of you goes down. This link has cheats for the game if you get too stuck: http://www.supremewiki.com/Cheats

Note that UN subsidy is very useful, especially if you are playing as a poor country and you go into debt since other countries who are allied with you tend to help you out by sending aid and money.

4) Just as Hundane has mentioned, placing supply depots near your resource centres does help to increase production, but not that much. Also taking into account Israel's geographical position (which I'm sure you're aware of), there aren't many trees in that region unless you go further north, since Israel is surrounded by deserts and plains. My advice, import timber for now and when you're ready, take on the countries up north.

5) NO. Ministers on this game aren't very good and its not something I tend to rely on. The only way to get the best deals is to become self sufficient or even overproduce some of the resources (oil, water, consumer goods) and sell them manually.
Some will say that over production will ruin your economy through increased inflation, but I'm not that serious of a gamer so I tend to over produce on oil and sell it. Sure inflation goes up, but it will always reach a point where it goes back down. Just fighting a war makes it drop like a ton of bricks. So my advice is ignore inflation, become self sufficient and sell.

6) NO, only if you do something bad like declaring war or research techs that have an opposed world opinion (seen as bad by the public and the rest of the world). Use shelovesme cheat if you see UN subsidy going down.

7) NO, same answer as 6 above.

8) You cannot make any population you conquer loyal and loyalty never changes over time. This has been a highly debated topic since Sr2020 first came out, but no changes have ever been made on any of the updates released and I highly doubt that any will be in the future.

9)

As for the game itself, you're right it is a good game. There are still some things that I'd like to see changed, but nothing too big since everything runs fine. However, I don't think anybody has the right to compare this game with Total War (being a veteran of the series) since TW and SR2020 are games in a league of their own. Lets just leave it at that.

Anyway hope I've answered everything. Take care and enjoy the game. :)

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”