New here. :)

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

New here. :)

Post by way2co0l »

Hey guys. Just stumbled on this game and it looks interesting. There appear to be some things I'll dislike but for the most part it appears to be the closest game out there for what I'm looking for. :) The main thing is everything is kind of overwhelming at first. Yes I can automate stuff but it's really difficult to keep track of what they're doing while automated so I think I'll be better off learning how to do everything myself and then automating the tedious aspects I'd rather not deal with once I've learned the concepts. I've looked at the wiki and it's suggestion for Brasil which I can understand but it really doesn't really give me any direction which would help me understand what's going on.

Say I'm wanting to play as the US. I assume domestic approval doesn't matter much until election time comes around so I can let it gradually drop but what kind of tax rates should I be looking at? Should I use the universal tax ratings or should I adjust the various taxes at different rates to encourage specific growth? I assume health care and infrastructure should be raised as highly as possible but what about the other social spending settings?

What kind of finances should I be aiming for? With my tinkering I've got nearly a month into the game and a decent 200,000 M anual profits has slowly eroded day by day to only a marginal amount of income right now. So how much should I aim to earn in profit on an anual basis?

How much of my armed forces can I reasonably expect to deploy and how much should I leave in reserve until I need it? How much should I try to mobilize and in which categories?

Should I try to begin a bunch of construction early or will that place too large a strain on my finances early? What should I focus on building up first?

Just those and a bunch of other questions I'll ask later. I understand the sandbox mode for the game allows for flexibility and for everyone to be able to play their game to their tastes but without having any direction or knowing what I should expect I'm having a difficult time knowing if I'm doing it right in the first place or what I should be doing differently.

I'm basically just looking for some basic goals and some basic direction to compare my experiences to so that I can tell when I'm doing something wrong and can focus my attention on improving. I just don't know what I should be expecting or working on. lol.

I'd appreciate any feedback I can get to put me on the right direction as the US with the newest update on pretty much all default settings. :)
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Re: New here. :)

Post by Eldin »

Welcome to the forums! I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.
way2co0l wrote: Say I'm wanting to play as the US. I assume domestic approval doesn't matter much until election time comes around so I can let it gradually drop but what kind of tax rates should I be looking at? Should I use the universal tax ratings or should I adjust the various taxes at different rates to encourage specific growth? I assume health care and infrastructure should be raised as highly as possible but what about the other social spending settings?
You are right about the domestic approval. It can be ignored until election unless it drops too low. I usually have mine between 27 and 34. As for taxes, a good starting point is 50% and then prod and pull the various taxes as needed. Health care should be maxed if you want to raise your population and also greatly affects the approval rate. Infrastructure should be kept at 200%. The other social spendings also affects your country and you should try to keep them at 100% except social services. I usually reduce that to 0% and then adjust it upwards in case I am not happy with my GDP\c growth.
way2co0l wrote: What kind of finances should I be aiming for? With my tinkering I've got nearly a month into the game and a decent 200,000 M anual profits has slowly eroded day by day to only a marginal amount of income right now. So how much should I aim to earn in profit on an anual basis?
There is no good answer for that. Larger countries should keep a larger cash reserve as a war fund then small nations. As long as you are in the black in peace time you're fine. Just remember as the USA you have the worlds largest economy and thus your actions on the world market greatly affects other nations. A mistake many new players do is build tons upon tons of consumer and industrial goods factories and thus saturate the market and reduce prices to a painful level for exporting nations. Try not to rely on only one item for export and become self sufficient in your base resources. One can effectively cool down the economy by importing base resources should it be required.
way2co0l wrote: How much of my armed forces can I reasonably expect to deploy and how much should I leave in reserve until I need it? How much should I try to mobilize and in which categories?
You don't really need that many units to defeat your enemies if you use them efficiently. Using your air force correctly, you can take out almost any enemy with minimal losses. Also, remember that invasion over water requires a lot of transport ships and aircraft.
way2co0l wrote: Should I try to begin a bunch of construction early or will that place too large a strain on my finances early? What should I focus on building up first?
Be patient. If you build a lot of facilities early and you adjust your economy towards that it can be hard to shift back later. Like I said earlier, it is important not to over saturate the world market with goods as it will affect you negatively in the long haul.
Generally though, at scenario start there is usually a dire need for military goods and electricity. Remember that military goods consume industrial goods during their production. Also, you need to decide whether you want to export electricity or not. If you want to export it then you should build coal power plants because they are very inexpensive and offers cheap energy. If you don't want to export electricity then you should build petrol power plants so that your markup on electricity becomes higher = more money in the treasury. The markup of any goods doesn't have a pain level on the price itself, only the percentage. This is useful to know if you don't want to be an export economy.
way2co0l wrote: Just those and a bunch of other questions I'll ask later. I understand the sandbox mode for the game allows for flexibility and for everyone to be able to play their game to their tastes but without having any direction or knowing what I should expect I'm having a difficult time knowing if I'm doing it right in the first place or what I should be doing differently.

I'm basically just looking for some basic goals and some basic direction to compare my experiences to so that I can tell when I'm doing something wrong and can focus my attention on improving. I just don't know what I should be expecting or working on. lol.

I'd appreciate any feedback I can get to put me on the right direction as the US with the newest update on pretty much all default settings. :)
Most important of all is to remember to have fun! It's a great game once you get to know it. Keep pulling and prodding those sliders to learn the mechanics of the game. Good luck! :-)
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Some more advice,

Everything you do will have some effect in multiple areas, if you adjust something in one area you might see an immediate result in another but over time it will also effect other areas.

During battles, keeping your units well supplied is a must. They dont do so well when they run out of bullets (MG's).

Look to see what other regions need and sell them that commodity. IE Saudi Arabia will always buy water at a good price.

Almost every facility you build will require Power to run, so Electricity is probally your biggest concern as well as keeping an ample supply of the raw materials to keep those running. If they are Petro plants, keep plenty of Petro, if Coal plants, keep alot of Coal etc....Running out of the raw materials will shut down your power supply which will effect your other facilities production capabilities.

You can cut production of facilities to lower your power requirements.

Supply % and Infrastucture Rating are good ways to increase production w/o building alot of facilities. Infrastructure is raised in the social spending, Eldin suggested 200% but anything over 100 is good IMO. Supply % can be raised by building supply depots, I usually build 3 in city/industrial hexes that have crossroads so the supply extends outwards from them. I try to place them areas with lots of industry already in place (especially the U.S or larger regions) or where I plan to build (if playing a smaller region). You can space out the 3 supply depots about 20 to 30 hexes apart depending on the terrain. Whatever future projects you build, build close to those supply depots.

Use roads/rails to extend your supply to low areas where needed. Rails are cheaper and roads allow your units to move faster, use whichever is needed.

Just keep in mind, anything you build will require Industrial Goods (IG's), so be sure to have a stockpile of those before building.

Have fun and enjoy.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll start a new game to mess with some stuff today and see if I can get it all straight. Couple more questions though.

You mention checking other nations to see what they need and providing it to maximize earnings but I don't see any place that makes that clear. Is there any way to tell what a nation has a surplus of or is lacking short of real world knowledge? I know many middle east nations will pay for water, oil is in desperate need throughout many of the densely populated Asian nations, ect, but that's simply because I know that to be the case period. Would be great to find a way to check their needs in game. :)

When it comes to military units, deployed, in reserve, or possible to research and produce, is there an easy way to compare them so that I can tell which ones are superior in which ways? So far the only way I can find requires me to double click one unit to check, then double click the other unit to compare, and continuing to click between them until I compare enough of their attributes to come to a conclusion on their abilities. That's incredibly tedious and it would be awesome if there was a way to compare units against each other in a more simplified way. Is there one?

I also have to say I'm still kind of unsure what kind of profit margin I should expect and aim for as a nation like the US. I'm intending to play a slow game as I take my time and become acquainted with the game. I'll probably be forming alliances with friendly nations in the trouble zones purely to block and counter aggressive nations tendencies but I won't try to pursue them for any kind of world conquest early on. I'm going to try to maintain a status quo for awhile as I learn and I'm going to judge my success with that goal to determine what I'm doing well enough and what I screwed up. But once I set up my basic construction and budget settings, I simply don't know if they're ok or if I'm over doing it or under doing it. I know play styles are all different and I'm not looking for any hard defined rule but just a basic sense of how much money should I be trying to earn on an anual basis to start the game? Is 200,000 projected anual earnings ok, more then I need or not nearly enough? I know I could simply play and find out but I'd rather do what I can to avoid as many mistakes as I can now to avoid me having to start another test game just to correct those mistakes if that makes any sense.

Again I appreciate you guys taking the time. :)
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Is there any way to tell what a nation has a surplus of or is lacking short of real world knowledge?
Open up a trade window. Will show you most all their info.
When it comes to military units, deployed, in reserve, or possible to research and produce, is there an easy way to compare them so that I can tell which ones are superior in which ways?
No, just the more you play the game the more familiar you will become.
I know play styles are all different and I'm not looking for any hard defined rule but just a basic sense of how much money should I be trying to earn on an anual basis to start the game? Is 200,000 projected anual earnings ok, more then I need or not nearly enough?
Like you said, Play styles vary and SR2020 is user friendly when it comes to getting money. Play your way and keep in mind that you can sell techs and blueprints and commodities to make up any shortfalls. Getting good relations with other regions usually results in better deals. You will be able to buy cheaper and sell higher. Selling to an ally at 10x the amount is not uncommon but it also depends on how much $$$'s the have. IIRC They wont spend over 10% of their treasury on any given trade. So if you want to tap a rich ally, dont deal everything away on the 1st trade. Make several smaller trades every other day or so, get about 10% of their treasury a day :wink:
I know I could simply play and find out but I'd rather do what I can to avoid as many mistakes as I can now to avoid me having to start another test game just to correct those mistakes if that makes any sense.
I played this game for over 2 years and I still learn a few new things about the game and still make plenty of mistakes. Its what makes this game enjoyable.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Just wanted to thank those of you that replied with advice again. I've been reading a ton on the forums to figure everything out and I think I've kind of got a grasp for it. It hasn't exactly been easy to figure out but I think I'm ready to start a real game now. :) It's maybe my own fault for needing to understand everything right off the bat before jumping in. lol

But anyway. While reading the forums I came across a thread concerning aircraft reloading missiles on carriers, and learned that recent updates allow for reloading those aircraft on carriers in allied territory. It was hinted that as long as the carrier was actively in supply that the aircraft could load up with the assumption that supply ships might work to that effect but there was no real confirmation whether or not that was the case.

So I'm curious if it is? Granted it's not hard to find allies in all the theaters I'm planning to participate so that won't be too difficult but it'd be nice to know if using some sort of supply ship would enable me to reload my aircraft or not.

I would have replied in the specific thread but apparently that entire forums section was locked so figured I'd ask here. :)
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

So I'm curious if it is? Granted it's not hard to find allies in all the theaters I'm planning to participate so that won't be too difficult but it'd be nice to know if using some sort of supply ship would enable me to reload my aircraft or not.
Missiles no, the only way for aircraft or ships to reload missiles is to be in friendly supplied hex.

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”