Building Military Units

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Roland040
Colonel

Building Military Units

Post by Roland040 »

Hello i seem to be having problems building military units. I want to build a few light infantry or militia units. I go into the military fabrication list i set my designated point for the reserve unit to go to. I press the units i want then set build but nothing happens the button seems dead and theres nothing on my production list or in the queue list. So ive either done something wrong or theres something wrong with my game. I have looked at the online beginners guide but its not too clear the procedure one does. So can someone tell me exactly how one builds new military units thank you.
Madzcat
Lieutenant

Re: Building Military Units

Post by Madzcat »

What nation are you playing as?
catatonic
General
Human: Yes

Post by catatonic »

Roland040 wrote:Hello i seem to be having problems building military units. I want to build a few light infantry or militia units. I go into the military fabrication list i set my designated point for the reserve unit to go to. I press the units i want then set build but nothing happens the button seems dead and theres nothing on my production list or in the queue list. So ive either done something wrong or theres something wrong with my game. I have looked at the online beginners guide but its not too clear the procedure one does. So can someone tell me exactly how one builds new military units thank you.
Units are manually built from the Defense/Fabrication sub-panel:

http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/SR ... _Sub-Panel

To build infantry, press the button in the left Defense panel with the "Tank" icon. Then select "Production" and "All Production" from the list below.

If there are no production facilities in the list then you have no Land Fabrication facilities with which to build infantry and you will need to build one. Otherwise, select the Defense/Fabrication/Land Designs /Infantry list.

If there are no units listed there then you have no designs and will need to research some. Select a design and press the "Build Unit" button to the right. If the unit doesn't appear in the queue in the right panel, then something is broken.

You have the alternative of allowing your Defense Minister to build units for you. Use the Defense/Summary sub-panel for this:

"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

Hello thanks for your replies. Im playing as Alaska in the America Unification no allies scenario. Because ive raised the volatility level to medium its caused more wars to breakout. At the moment theres a major war between Mexico and California, Texas with Texas advancing into Mexico. Because my relations with Texas isnt good im worried she might take Mexico and become more powerful in America so ive made an alliance with Mexico, which ive done. But to help her i wanted to send military units to support her to beat back the Texans. Thats why i wanted to build military units. But i have built a military complex with a land fabrication to see if that will help. Its still being built at the moment hope that will solve the problem. Yes they have already been designed, hope this information helps thanks for any replies.
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

Hello i think i can see part of the problem now. Ive built the military complex and land fabrication but my military advisor is asking me for staff for these sites. I checked with some other scenarios and the building of military units is alright. So the problem is now is that these military installations need staff, so how do i do that? Ive raised my military maintenance and wages but still nothing has happened. Do i actually need to put some actual military reserve units in there first? Hope someone can help me thanks.
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

Hello i think ive worked it out now. It looks like you can only build and use land fabrications where there are military personal in the area. I dont know if you can move military personel to a military complex where there arent any, hope for some answers thanks you.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Hello i think ive worked it out now. It looks like you can only build and use land fabrications where there are military personal in the area.
Actually thats tied into how many reserve personnel you have available. Each military facility has to be manned by a certain amount of personnel which comes from your reserves when it goes online, if you dont have the reserves when its completed construction then it will have a lighting symbol (you should get an email also IIRC).

You can increase your reserve pool immediately by sending deployed units into reserve, decreasing the amount of garrisons you have in your cities and complexes or by shutting down other military facilities. (warning, this may destroy some units). Once you have enough reserves in your pool, you can then turn on the fabrication.

Long term, increasing military salaries along with setting the minister priority to increase your reserves will get you some reserves but its slow process that seems to be based on population. Lower populated regions will only get a couple of reserves per day.

You can tell how many reserves you have by looking in the defense dept., section in the middle will say Active and Reserve personnel and give you a total for each.
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

Hello thanks for your reply by explaining that more clearly. When you talk about reserves i suppose you mean the actual individual units that you put into reserve? Instead of having them deployed. I wondered if it was something to do with that but not sure how it worked out. But say if you decided to deploy a lot of your reserves into action, what happens then to the military staff level at those bases? Does it mean that the deployed units manning levels might be reduced? look forward to any replies thanks.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

If you look on the Technical readout for each unit it will tell you how many personel it requires. When you deploy that unit, the reserve pool will be reduced by that amount. If you dont have enough reserves, the unit will not be able to be deployed.

For facilities, I think it tells how many staff it requires on the construction pop-up. If you dont have the reserves for it when its completed building it wont go online, it you have it online and take offline or scrap it, the reserves will increase by that amount.

No matter how many units are deployed, those facilities will have to be either be fully manned or be at 0.

A damaged unit will have lower personnel, so will a split or 1/2 unit.
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

Hello thanks for your help. Thats what im starting to realise now. I think the facility requires 400 personnel but i only have 133 in my reserve pool, like you said its still not online, so im thinking of canceling it for now. So what im doing now is buying units offered too me from other countries then selling them to my ally Mexico for their war with Texas. One final thing when you sell units to another country does that country automatically receives them without any problems? Hope for any replies thanks.
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

Roland040 wrote:the problem is now is that these military installations need staff, so how do i do that? Ive raised my military maintenance and wages but still nothing has happened. Do i actually need to put some actual military reserve units in there first? Hope someone can help me thanks.
Increased military wages will slowly recruit new reserves to your armed forces.

You have already located the panel that displays the number of reserve personnel that you possess to staff your new units. It is here:

If the number listed by "Reserves is zero or less than 4000 then you have insufficient reserve personnel to staff a new Land Fabrication facility. As Hundane said, if you are low on reserves you will need to free up some personnel that are serving elsewhere.

Unless you locked it out, your Defense Minister has been assigning your personnel to garrison duty since the game stated. Pressing the 'G' key will highlight your garrisons on the map. They can be controlled from the Land Department's Land/Complex Details sub-panel here:

http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/SR ... ails_Panel

Each lighted soldier at the bottom represents 540 military personnel serving as a garrision unit. Press the '-' icon to deactivate a garrison unit and place it back into reserve. This will take one day to complete. Deactivating eight garrison units should be suffiecient to staff one land fab.
When you talk about reserves i suppose you mean the actual individual units that you put into reserve? Instead of having them deployed.
Bases and their staffing are explained in detail here:

http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/SR ... fare#Bases

The relationship between a unit's equipment and its staff are explained here:

http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/SR ... e#Reserves

Catatonic - 2012
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

One final thing when you sell units to another country does that country automatically receives them without any problems? Hope for any replies thanks.
Usually there are no problems however if that region is low on manpower/reserves and it doesnt have a barracks,airfield,seapier (land,air,naval units) to store those units, the units may be scrapped for the MG value.
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

Roland040 wrote:One final thing when you sell units to another country does that country automatically receives them without any problems? Hope for any replies thanks.
Units are received by the second region in a damaged/disassembled condition and must undergo repair. Land units arrive about 30% damaged but quickly repair, depending upon the game's Military difficulty setting. Ships are 50% damaged and aircraft 75% (as I recall).

Missiles transfer with 0% damage, but cannot be used by an AI region recipient.

Catatonic - 2012
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

I just looked at your America Votes scenerio - they give Alaska about 40 land units in reserve but just 1000 reserve personnel to staff them? That's insane...

Catatonic - 2012
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

Hello thats right! I did put most of my military units in reserve but the level of staff personnel still went down even after i increased wages and maintenance levels. So i decided to leave that for now, maybe try it out with another state later, thanks for all your help anyway.

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”