Update 7 Announcement

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Re: Update 7 Announcement

Post by Ruges »

One thing I am noticing with the patch, That after a good 6 hours of gameplay. There is a defenate benifiet to speed when you save and restart the game.
Krafty
Warrant Officer

Post by Krafty »

Ruges wrote:One thing I am noticing with the patch, That after a good 6 hours of gameplay. There is a defenate benifiet to speed when you save and restart the game.

I noticed this too, my buddy continued our venezuala/algeria game last night with you mod, and the new patches, it ran much better than before for about 3-4 hours and then had a sharp drop off in performance that couldnt be explained by my process manager or ping to my buddy. Sometimes packetloss can cause the long pauses, or serious warring, but my processor was only 70% used, and my ping to my buddy was a pretty constant 90-100ms.

I did just install Steam for the overlay while we were playing, perhaps its causing problems? Or a memory leak?
Madzcat
Lieutenant

Post by Madzcat »

Sounds like a memory leak.
catatonic
General
Human: Yes

Post by catatonic »

I noticed in my last game that opening a very long unit list in Unit Command will slow the game.

We already know that the Fog of War slows the game too.

My games freeze up several times per day and I have to hibernate the PC to un-lock it.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Its great to see subs going offensive.They are the killers they should be too.Im watching the AI run its subs into cuban waters,crushing everything in their path,til they run out of missiles.Then they retreat,rearm and go back.

This change is my favorite so far i think.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

tkobo wrote:Its great to see subs going offensive.They are the killers they should be too.Im watching the AI run its subs into cuban waters,crushing everything in their path,til they run out of missiles.Then they retreat,rearm and go back.

This change is my favorite so far i think.
^^ This is awesome. I saw Poland BBQ-ing Russian naval forces from (Old) Danzig area, right up to Helsinki. They used them very well. Nice feature indeed.
theonlystd
Sergeant

Post by theonlystd »

The patch seems to have effected Mp performance ..

Its slower and no matter the speed setting.. There is some lag..IE the game kind of freezes then jerks ahead .

Me and Krafty tried Global crisis, then tried ruges mod.. FOW on or off.. Units on or off.. 3rd Party diplomacy on or off..

Anyone else having the issue? The ping and such bewteen us has been fine and the game we were playing before was running pretty smooth tho not super fast or anything ...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Performance was very likely affected, for the same reason that Ruges mod is more performance intensive; the AI is much more active and the units are much more active.

It all depends how many regions go to war or are preparing for war.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
theonlystd
Sergeant

Post by theonlystd »

Balthagor wrote:Performance was very likely affected, for the same reason that Ruges mod is more performance intensive; the AI is much more active and the units are much more active.

It all depends how many regions go to war or are preparing for war.
ah well as said we tried it with no units.. And was still getting the lag issue
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Its great to see subs going offensive.
I agree, however playing as Cuba its not so much, seeing your ships sunk by US subs patrolling your northern coastlines. Then getting your only anti sub helo blown out of the sky by well timed air strike only makes the situation stickier. However, it makes the game that much more fun.
The patch seems to have effected Mp performance
I have noticed this as well. Ruges Mod has always played slowed for me but vanilla has played fast till now. Its not terribly slow but its noticeably slower than it was and I havent seen a bit of a speed increase from normal to very fast. Normal is as fast as it gets.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

When I was running threw my tests, while it was debateable weather it was slower or not for me (defenatly slower after 3 hours, and after 5 or 6 hours I would usualy save and restart which would speed it back up for awhile). But I have noticed that the first game year, there is so much going on that attempting to use a fast speed, and control all our stuff was nearly imposible, you where missing way to much. And if you are one of these that like to sit around for the first 2 years building stuff up forget about it. Exspecialy if you are using my mod with the increased build times it would be more like 4 years. and in 4 years game time the map will be so much different. And that is even if you could manage to stay out of the war for that long.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

do keep commenting on the performance, while we expect "slower" the degree of it is unclear and it is possible there is a problem somewhere further slowing things down. Further multiplayer testing will be done on our end too.

Just try and say more than "it's slower" ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Krafty
Warrant Officer

Post by Krafty »

Its pauses every 30 seconds to a minute. For variable lengths of time.

Also my buddy is hosting, he, when playing SP at the fastest speed has about 20% processor use. When playing MP its pretty consistently maxed at 100% using ruges mod, 71% or so when using the global crisis scenario. Even at slower speeds.

It does seem to get a little better after a few weeks of game time, but its considerably more processor use than the previous version.

When we load up the save from ruges mod, from the previous version, with this new version, theres no pauses at all, days go by pretty fast, everything is smooth.

In the new version of GC, and of ruges mod, theres considerbly more processor being used, and theres long pauses every 30 seconds to a minute.He could probably expand on this more.

edit: he has a pretty good PC, and 4 gigs of ram, as said SP is blazing fast. MP it more than triples the processor usage. Also this happens when we tried a game with no units. So it wasnt the AI moving stuff. It had the pauses even with no units.
Tenakakhan64
Lieutenant

Post by Tenakakhan64 »

Ive found that it pauses at the beginning of every day for a second or 2 before moving on.

Its also a fair bit slower than version 6 for me but not as slow as ruges mod was on v6 and im willing to sacrifice speed for agressive ai.

By a fair bit id say in my current game it was easily be going about half speed compared to the same point in v6.
theonlystd
Sergeant

Post by theonlystd »

Balthagor wrote:do keep commenting on the performance, while we expect "slower" the degree of it is unclear and it is possible there is a problem somewhere further slowing things down. Further multiplayer testing will be done on our end too.

Just try and say more than "it's slower" ;)
Well in sp the game would sim a day in 12 seconds

the same day in Mp with the same settings.. was 1 minute and 47 seconds

Mp uses alot more proccessing power than before. And in comparision to Sp.. And since it hits 100% so often im guessing thats what is causing the game not to run so smooth...

2.8ghz Dual core,4gigs, Vid card more than up to sr2020. So dunno .

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”