Feeling bad

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

The_Blind_One
Colonel

Feeling bad

Post by The_Blind_One »

Hey, I've been fighting the good cause for greece in the macedonian scenario but...I feel bad. Specialy when I am faced with garrisons and I don't feel like using cheap tactics like berrets being dropped in. I like old classic war methods.

I tend to wipe out their armed forces and am left with frigid garrisoned cities. Which I continue to bombard with arty since it's insane to send in men for such a high casualty cost. Macedonia was relatively easy to undermine with little use of arty but turkey proved a whole different matter. They have many more forces and their cities are much larger and better defended. I moved everything up to instanbul but...while not at great lost to my armed forces (zero units lost, 6,000 casualties, 3000 civilian), the population of the turks has seemed to suffer substantialy.

I move in my stack of 6 M110A2's (or something) and continue to soften up their city of aprox 150.000 people packed with max garrisons. I do this for up to a week. and lo and behold...they are down to 75.000! (holy....did I just murder 75000 people?). Damn...thats 75000 I can't tax damnit! But whats even worse, their stack of garrisons is hardly touched, while the entire city is wasted pretty much. (I don't mind shelling them for another 4 weeks to make sure they are beaten, but that would mean 0 population in the city, hence useless)

This sucks...I mean, I love the way the military system in SR2020 works, but my god...I don't think that artillery is THAT devastating. And even then, the artillery fires at targets inside the city occupied by enemy forces, I'ts not like I'm just pulverizing the city randomly hoping to hit a garrison hidden somewhere (or am I?)

St. Petersburg was besieged for years (850+ days) by the axis forces, the city at the moment it was sieged held 3 million people, even after the city had been completely destroyed and artillery had shelled the shizznit out of it for the past 2 years, still 2 million people remained after the war. Most people died of starvation and hunger, not the shellings, they just went for cover. Only a third of the deaths (at most) can be accounted to artillery, and most sources cite that less then 100.000 people died of the actual artillery fire.

I just shelled 75.000 people in a week with minimal artillery effort.

Basicly I'm asking.

Can we make artillery less of a population killer? maybe like 1/5 of what it is now. I'm litterly seeying thousands of people dying every time my stack shoots. This isn't so bad for super large metropolitan areas since they have population to burn but smaller cities go up in smokes waaay faster.

P.S

Any way to change this from a modders perspective? (like changing the indirect def values for cities? or will that effect the garrisons inside aswell?)

I do not intend to make garrisons weaker towards indirect fire because it should take time to blast troops out
jscott991
Lt. Colonel

Re: Feeling bad

Post by jscott991 »

My understanding is that there is some artillery that doesn't do quite this much damage on civilians, but I'll be darned if I can find it. All the artillery I've used damages people and facilities much more than garrisons.

I hope someone answers your question. I've actually stopped using artillery as the US because I'd rather just take the infantry casualties than completely wipe out a city before pushing the garrisons out.
Ratic0n
Sergeant

Post by Ratic0n »

Bah! just shell the crap out of the cities and minimize the survivors. less survivors = less future potential rebels... in war no-one is innocent anymore! :evil:

But seriously now. can't missiles be used to pinpoint military units and almost completely avoid civ casualties?
or try to use your artilley in sharp co-op with your tanks and infantry, I.E open fire at the same time your regular troops attack to mnimize civilian exposure to the artillery
ANOTHER GLORIOUS DAY IN THIS MAN'S ARMY!
- Sergeant RL-3, Fallout 3
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Ratic0n wrote:Bah! just shell the crap out of the cities and minimize the survivors. less survivors = less future potential rebels... in war no-one is innocent anymore! :evil:

But seriously now. can't missiles be used to pinpoint military units and almost completely avoid civ casualties?
or try to use your artilley in sharp co-op with your tanks and infantry, I.E open fire at the same time your regular troops attack to mnimize civilian exposure to the artillery
Ofcourse I have resorted to this, but in a tough fight some nutty cities won't give up...and then it's just not that fun to watch it turn into a piece of dust. I'd rather use a nuke in that case. :roll:
warrior6
Corporal

Post by warrior6 »

The_Blind_One wrote:St. Petersburg was besieged for years (850+ days) by the axis forces, the city at the moment it was sieged held 3 million people, even after the city had been completely destroyed and artillery had shelled the shizznit out of it for the past 2 years, still 2 million people remained after the war. Most people died of starvation and hunger, not the shellings, they just went for cover. Only a third of the deaths (at most) can be accounted to artillery, and most sources cite that less then 100.000 people died of the actual artillery fire.
you cant really compare ww2 artillery to artillery from 2020.....

especially if your firing at it for a week.

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”