Game Settings: Did I make a big mistake?

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

jscott991
Lt. Colonel

Game Settings: Did I make a big mistake?

Post by jscott991 »

I chose to start a Global Crisis campaign, but set world volatility to low.

I haven't noticed a single event and the only two AI wars so far have been in Korea and between India and Pakistan. As the US, I've attacked Canada (my ally at the time) and Cuba, and no AI nations have declared war on me, though everyone hates me.

Every other setting is on the default (medium in most cases for difficulties), except I changed victory to capital (after experiencing France's refusal to surrender until I invade S. America too often when playing as the UK).

Did I choose incorrect settings to trigger the GC events that are supposed to lead towards WWIII? Does low world volatility mean that China and Russia are going to sit this campaign out? The world is pretty stale at the moment as no one is really building anything (I assume the AI doesn't build military units unless at war) and world market prices are very low.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Re: Game Settings: Did I make a big mistake?

Post by Ruges »

Yea low volt and you are going to wind up with a very peaceful map. defualt volt will give you your average wars. mainly the asia, africa, middle east stuff. but still nothing to major. High will give you a good amount of wars to the point you will get todo some fighting on nations that will have a high CB. and very high will be ww3,4,5,6,7....
jscott991
Lt. Colonel

Post by jscott991 »

I really don't want to start again and I actually like the idea that China doesn't go to war with India (which I think is rather implausible at the moment, though I guess the game is set in 2020) ,but it is kind of dull to be the only one doing anything and a stale map, I think, has profound effects on the prices of goods on the world market.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

You could do a "one shot cheat" of "cheat saddam" to trigger a war. Save first and if the one declaration doesn't make sense try again, or use what some ppl have done and reload it in MP as another region to make the declaration you want. Basically start the first domino falling.

I usually play campaigns for "allied victory" and end up killing 5-10 nations before I get the rest of the world as my ally.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
jscott991
Lt. Colonel

Post by jscott991 »

I actually tried to load the game in multiplayer and couldn't figure out how to do it. It didn't bring up my savegames as options.

I'll have to read how the cheat codes work. Is it possible to use a cheat code to start a war between two regions, neither of which are my region?

I'd just like to see some Russian expansionsim and wars in the Middle East I think, while avoiding some of the wars I saw in earlier versions (China-India, Everyone v. Myanmar, UK-France, for example).
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

jscott991 wrote:I actually tried to load the game in multiplayer and couldn't figure out how to do it. It didn't bring up my savegames as options.
There is a subfolder in /Savegames for multiplayer saves. You need to move it over.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
jscott991
Lt. Colonel

Post by jscott991 »

Thanks.
PanzerHue
Sergeant

Post by PanzerHue »

hi,

im trying to load my single player game into multi player. I read this should be done by moving my save game (.SAV) from /savegames to the mulitplayer sub folder. I tried this but nothing shows up when i start to host a multiplayer game.
I only see 3 savegames that used to test multiplayer and these files are not shown in savegames/multiplayer when i open them in explorer.

can anyone please help me with this...

kind regards
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

At the Multi-player screen press "Host Game".
Then select the right-most "Saved Game" button at the top of the screen.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
PanzerHue
Sergeant

Post by PanzerHue »

thanx for the reply.

My problem was that no saved games came tp appear in the savegame-box in hosted games. But I found out that my windows Vista had hidden my savegames another place. I now found it and are happy playing.

best regards...
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

Balthagor wrote:You could do a "one shot cheat" of "cheat saddam" to trigger a war. Save first and if the one declaration doesn't make sense try again, or use what some ppl have done and reload it in MP as another region to make the declaration you want. Basically start the first domino falling.

I usually play campaigns for "allied victory" and end up killing 5-10 nations before I get the rest of the world as my ally.
Wait wait how does the Multiplayer thing work?
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

Mission Space wrote: Wait wait how does the Multiplayer thing work?
There are a lot of situations in SR2020 when you wish that you could be in charge of another Region - just for even five minutes so that your could change something there. Maybe you wish that they would declare war on you or maybe you wish that they would offer a peace deal, or offer to sell you Units.

There are two ways to do this:

1. Move a copy of your save-game (.SAV) over to the appropriate Campaign folder and re-start the game, but this time select another Region to play as from the game Lobby.

or

2. Move a copy of your save-game (.SAV) over to the Savegame/Multiplayer folder then restart the game in multi-player. Then again select to play as another region.

In both cases once you have finished doing what-ever sneeky business you wanted to accomplish, you can save the altered game to your save-game folder. Then you can copy the altered game and repeat the same process, but this time you play it as your original region.

During this replay session you may find that the region that you have just hijacked is declaring war on you or offering your a peace deal or units for sale.

Save this replay game again to your save game folder and now you have a new game whose world has been altered by your spooky-time-traveling tricks.

The advantage of using method 2) (Multi-player) is that you can repeatedly save and change region as many times as you want to - accumulating multiple region-changes before you finally finish up, start your replay session as your original region and restore the world to its new status quo.

For instance if the game has slowed down because there are too many deployed units on the map, you could travel around the world and place all of the heavily armed Region's un-used Units into reserve. This would speed up the game quite a bit.

Technique 1) will reset your game to date January 1st, 2020. To prevent this you must edit the .Scenerio file of whatever Campaign that your are playing and change the starting date there to your current game date.

There, now aren't you sorry that you asked?
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”