GAME SPEED VOTE

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Game speed increased by Faster Clock or Advancing days

Faster Clock (speed up just clock)
66%
Advancing days(skip days fastest)
14%
Leave as is (one minute per day longest)
20%

Total votes: 44
Trimlin
Corporal

Re: GAME SPEED VOTE

Post by Trimlin »

Yes I want a faster game - peace time can be long -
but do I want you to cut away calculations for AI battles just because I can't see them?
Hell no!

This isn't a high priority for me, diplomacy/AI improvements are much better. Also
fixing crashes/bugs is good :)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

There are no known crash bugs in update 5.8 except if you alt-tab before the main menu loads the first time.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

After playing a few years nothing really ever happiness AND the game sloes down. What if you want to build up your economy and army for a few years and then strike, but when you do that the game clock takes longer to finnish. could BG not just make a mod/patch that rises the system requires and the game SPEED, the patch would be optional to download, and the system requirements can't fit for all :-)
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:...could BG not just make a mod/patch that rises the system requires and the game SPEED, the patch would be optional to download, and the system requirements can't fit for all :-)
I have no idea what you're suggesting here, just saying the system specs are higher doesn't magically make the game faster. There is no limit on the game speed at "fastest" setting, the faster your system the faster your game.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
funkymatic
Sergeant

Post by funkymatic »

When I returned to the SR series after a rather long slog at Mount & Blade (awesome awesome awesome game if anyone is interested.... however not even close to the genre of SR) I was immediately annoyed at how long it takes to build up economy in the early days. This was entirely because I had precisely no idea what I was doing.

Now, after a relatively intense period of what I call 'SR bootcamp' of many restarts and general experimentation with the game's system, I can safely say I LOVE THE SPEED!!

During peacetime there is so much micromanagement to do with fixing the economy, spying on neighbours to findout that next perfect target, building all the appropriate units etc etc, that if the speed was any faster i wouldnt have enough time to do everything i want!

During wartime it's extremely dangerous to leave the speed up any faster than Normal as your forces will most likely be crushed. I slow it down to one or two notches under normal and micromanage every land combat my forces enter into. Airforce is usually set to auto, except when bombing the bajesus out of enemy entrenchements.

My system is by no means the latest or greatest setup. I run an XFX 780i motherboard, with a Core2Duo 3.14ghz Intel CPU, a nVidia GTX280 GPU and 4GB Corsair DDR2 RAM. Relatively good, but not the best. Day cycles start off extremely quickly while after a few years (given the AI enough time to spam units... as they always do) they drop to about 30ish seconds per day. I think this is FINE! I also work full time and spend maybe a couple hours a day gaming. Enough time for a year or two to clock over (sometimes) which accomplishes plenty.

Also, as you play the game more and learn the shortcuts it can get extremely easy to grow your economy at rapid rates, becoming one of the super powers within a year game time (or faster in some cases).
Eskodas
Lieutenant

Post by Eskodas »

at the start of a game i can get 8 second days on a 1.7ghz and 768mb ram, all you need to do is turn on the No-Units start, this means when you are building your country up it is fast and when you get into the wars latter it is slower.

Please people stop complaining about the speed, it is at the fastest it can go. BG will make minor improvements in the future but if you don't like that then obviosuly this game isn't for you.
-Dare to Know
Seydlitz
Major

Post by Seydlitz »

I've noticed that, running a 1.8 GHz/512MB RAM machine, keeping the speed at normal seems to run faster that double-speed or higher once the wars start. I haven't actually tested this, but I've noticed it enough that it seems real. Just an FYI for those with lower-end machines.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Balthagor wrote:
Hullu Hevonen wrote:...could BG not just make a mod/patch that rises the system requires and the game SPEED, the patch would be optional to download, and the system requirements can't fit for all :-)
I have no idea what you're suggesting here, just saying the system specs are higher doesn't magically make the game faster. There is no limit on the game speed at "fastest" setting, the faster your system the faster your game.
but then could you not just change the fastest name to eg. "almost fastest" and the make a new speed as fastest that is at least twice as fast as the current fastest. you can have to wait for 1 or 2 months before something happiness, so if it takes 10 second a day that would be a long time...
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Piggy
Sergeant

Post by Piggy »

The game is already pushing my system to limits at max speed, so much so that I had to go buy a spot fan to cool my Vid card...

Time to start building a new machine...

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”