IS ANYBODY AS ANOYED WITH THIS GAME AS I AM????

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Ravenought
Sergeant

IS ANYBODY AS ANOYED WITH THIS GAME AS I AM????

Post by Ravenought »

The game has too numerous bugs to count. And now the so called expanision pack. I feel like a beta tester from the moment i bought the game. I erased it from my hard drive a couple of weeks, put it on again a few days ago, installed the latest patch expecting a working game. With all the features described in the manual. Do I have to say more???
USA cant invade overseas, unless hours of loading each and every single unit in ships manually, must be joking.
I thought I was the leader of a country, not the dock worker.
Diplomacy, nice there isnt even a way to make peace, change government, form satellite states, puppet governments, well anything that makes a game diplomatic whise interesting.
Tec tree is too short for long games.
Game speed is so slow that playing the game is as exiting as whatching a clock.
AI is a joke, sorry the truth is sometimes hard.
Difficult levels just changes scenario setting, instead of the smartness of AI.
The number of units is far too small for a game going past 2020. I mean there are just a handfull or two of new future units.
doesnt add much excitment to the military part of the game.
The AI just attacks for no reasons????
Why arent there really different political systems in the game?? after all you call it a geo political game.
The regimes are all reacting the same.
Ministers arent of real help, they must be stupid. I cant say any different cause ministers make bad descisions. And the defence minister builds units, that no one needs. for example i have more than enough fighterjets why build up so many antiair units. doesmt make sense. so i turned most of the ministers off.

I could go on forever.........

Battlegoat after all your replies, and your latest so called expansion pack. Please 'Give me my money back. Im not a beta tester, nor do i want go give you developement idears of how to fix the game, cause I thought I bought a complete game, not a beta version. Even the contents of the manual dont match the game. The promisses made to fix the bugs where not kept. Give me a break and at least be honest enough to refund, for selling a broken product. And last, dont you guys have beta testers in your company??? How can somthing unfinished like that be released??????
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Re: IS ANYBODY AS ANOYED WITH THIS GAME AS I AM????

Post by Ruges »

Stop playing PC games. Just stop, they are not for you. Grab your Wii and go get this fantastic Stratagy game http://www.game.co.uk/Wii/Strategy/~r333507/Puppy-Love/ Just go back to your console games, pretend the internet does not exist. It will all be ok.
Ravenought
Sergeant

Post by Ravenought »

Ruges wrote:Stop playing PC games. Just stop, they are not for you. Grab your Wii and go get this fantastic Stratagy game http://www.game.co.uk/Wii/Strategy/~r333507/Puppy-Love/ Just go back to your console games, pretend the internet does not exist. It will all be ok.
I love playing PC games, have been playing them for over 20years. Never had a Wii or any other console. I make my living as a programmer. So I´m even into computing in my job. What I´m trying to say, is I know what I´m talking about and I´m not into insulting people. I don´t like being ripped of by some company, and I´m not going to keep my mouth shut.
The game is not very difficult to play, I´ve played it on hard, and let it run for two days. My economy is swell. I know how to play stratagy games. Have been around long time.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

@ Ravenought; you're lack of information makes the OP painful to read, I will spend some time enlightening you...
Ravenought wrote:The game has too numerous bugs to count.
not true, we've been generally posting all known issue, but as of 5.4.1 there are few enough that nobody has really noticed the thread has fallen behind. (FYI, I'll try and get it updated in the next few weeks.) We have less bugs total (counting all fixed and remaining) than you'll find listed in Civ4's readme and our rate of updates blows theirs away.
Ravenought wrote:...With all the features described in the manual.
Well, for future projects I'm already voting that we print a "5 pager" and include the rest PDF so that the lead time of printing no longer causes us problems. Features changed after the manual draft was sent for printing (months before gold date). I don't get the final word on the printed/PDF decision but I'll certainly put all my weight behind PDF.
Ravenought wrote:...USA cant invade overseas, unless hours of loading each and every single unit in ships manually, must be joking...
This is not true. I can as the US, deploy all units, elastic band a bunch of land units, right click somewhere in Africa and say sea transport. They may not invade very effectively but they will execute the order I've given.
Ravenought wrote:...Diplomacy, nice there isnt even a way to make peace...
Also not true. I've made peace in both singleplayer and multiplayer games.
Ravenought wrote:...change government, form satellite states, puppet governments...
These are not features of the game. Satellite states and puppet governments have never been part of the feature set, I have no idea what made you think they were part of the game.
Ravenought wrote:...Tec tree is too short for long games...
You're the first person I've had tell me this! We have included a massive tech tree of 300+ techs. If you'd like more content for the game, you'll need to look to the expansion pack. We already expanded the tech tree for free in one of the updates.
Ravenought wrote:...Game speed is so slow that playing the game is as exiting as whatching a clock...
While you may find it too slow, others find it to be just fine. We have also already said we are at the hardware limit for most elements that we'd have to decrease the complexity to increase speed (BTW, adding stuff like puppet govs and sat states would pull performance down further...)
Ravenought wrote:...AI is a joke, sorry the truth is sometimes hard...
Our AI certainly has a tough skin, it's always getting picked on. However, it is a quite capable AI in a number of areas. It trades, it does research, it attacks, it cuts off supply, it can pack a heck of a punch (when it has sufficient units at its disposal) and offers a good play experience for new users. You may want more, but users will always want more from the AI. That does not make it a joke.

Ravenought wrote:...Difficult levels just changes scenario setting, instead of the smartness of AI...
Again you're quoting false information as if you've seen it as evidence in a trial. The difficulty levels change lots of things including what kinds of actions the AI will take and how often.
Ravenought wrote:...The number of units is far too small for a game going past 2020. I mean there are just a handfull or two of new future units...
actually there are more than 150 units above tech level 2020 and over 3000 units in the game. I've not seen another game with this large a list of units. There's just no pleasing some people it seems...
Ravenought wrote:...The AI just attacks for no reasons????...
No it doesn't, what are you talking about? The new provocation rating makes it very clear when regions are edging towards war with you.
Ravenought wrote:...Why arent there really different political systems in the game?? after all you call it a geo political game...
A game does not have to model political systems to be a geo-political game. We model different goverments types on a global map with relations that simulate many found in the real world.
Ravenought wrote:...The regimes are all reacting the same...
No they aren't. Again with the non-factual facts...
Ravenought wrote:...Ministers arent of real help, they must be stupid...
If someone thinks differently than you, does that make them stupid? When I ask my minister to increase reserve personnel he helps a lot. When I tell my minister to focus on healthcare and infrastructure he helps. When I tell my minister to increase domestic mark-ups they go up. when I let my minister build whatever he wants and I don't like what he's built I take control of the build queue. Just because they don't work exactly as you'd like does not make them stupid.
Ravenought wrote:...I could go on forever.........
hmmm, no comment.

It is clear that the game you bought is not what you thought it would be and that is a shame, we certainly have worked very hard to make information available up front for our users including a demo, this forum and game reviews in the hopes that the people who buy the game are those that are confident they like what the game offers. I would strongly suggest that with demos so easily available these days that you try games out before you buy them. I certainly do for 90%+ of the games I buy.

Then again, with so much false information in the OP, I'm left to wonder if with more time looking into the existing features you might actually find there is plenty of good gaming experience to be had inside a box of Supreme Ruler 2020.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Ravenought wrote:
...Tec tree is too short for long games...
You're the first person I've had tell me this! We have included a massive tech tree of 300+ techs. If you'd like more content for the game, you'll need to look to the expansion pack. We already expanded the tech tree for free in one of the updates.
Its all depending on how you look at it. Yes the tech tree is Massive. Is there even anouther game out there with this many techs? However in a game that takes 20+ years to conqure the map. You can have all the techs researched in 5-7 years. And this argument has been posted before.

However for the player it is easy to mod the tech tree yourself to your liking (there is one currently in the works). And it appears the exspansion will increase the list too. However there does need tobe a lull in tech advancment at some point in time. To prevent a player or country from building god like units in the first 10 years of play.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Ruges wrote:...However in a game that takes 20+ years to conqure the map. You can have all the techs researched in 5-7 years. And this argument has been posted before...
I suppose I had seen this, but that certainly depends on where you start from. In my campaign as Kazakhstan I had a heck of a time getting through a few tech levels, don't even think I broke 110. Perhaps on the very large regions we have not done enough to limit research rates.

I take it the 5-7 years takes a large number of research centers?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Bump it up to 35 at the start. max out your research budget. And go down the right research path. For instance the path that leads to Cyborg soldiers. this tech takes the longest to get to. You should always research the techs that lead to this path first. And pause any that do not lead down this path if one that does becomes availible. So if you do it right you can finish all the research in around 5 years. (This is all starting as the US). Yes if you start with a smaller country it might be a totaly different subject.

One other thing to point out this does not include the mech unit research. Since those along are like a year and a half to two years to research themselfs.

Also tech level advancment is much quicker. You can reach the max level tech (140) in the first 3 years of play. This is mainly due to tech bonuses from researching other techs that give a bonus.

But mainly its about what you research in what order to get to max out tech. Which is probly more important then a larger number of research fabs.
oberkommando
Major

Post by oberkommando »

If you don´t like the game then don´t play it. The game is ok as it is.
Chaim
Major

Post by Chaim »

Strategy games have poor AI, thats a fact. Specially turn based a 4x games.

It is a tech problem, AI evolution is our world is just beggining.

Let me give you a few examples:

-Civ 2
-Civ 2 call to power
-Civ 4
-Space empires 4
-Space empires 5

Civ 2 call to power got a lot better after Ages of Man mod, Space empires 4 have a good AI mod, Space empires 5 have Balance Mod (the best that I saw, AI is great).

Games evolve, and SR 2020 will get a good AI (for bigger states AI is still weak, no problem with that), I am pretty sure, by the devs or by a mod, it is a matter of time until we get a good code.

Patience dude.
gouldjg
Captain

Post by gouldjg »

Yes I am as annoyed as the OP but I also have a Wii and PS3 and a host of other WORKING pc games to keep me busy.

I cant believe that the same few persons are still not seeing the fact that this game appears BROKE for many people whom are most likely enjoying their other games after packing in this dead horse.
Illumination
Warrant Officer

Post by Illumination »

I think any game is an evolution. I read a lot of reviews on this game from all over the internet before I decided to buy it. What those reviews essentially said was A.) Its complicated and B.) Buggy.

So I went to the companies forum's to find out what was being done, and I soon found out Battlegoat is working to fix all the issues. It's wonderful to see such a high level of interaction here, and I give you kudos for that. I bought the game for that reason. If, as I learn to play, it turns out their's problems, so long as the developer is working to fix them, I'm behind you.

I remember the enthusiasm I bought SuperPower 2 with, and the dissappointment I felt when I seen how poorly they took care of their customers.

I'm like anyone. Id love to see killer AI in all my strat. games, but its an evolution, as noted above by others. I would like to see a faster gameplay setting, but it your pushing hardware limits, what can you do?

Ill likely buy the X-pac too, even if I do find bugs still in the game. With the steady stream of patches and direct dialogue with its customers, I'll gladly support Battlegoat with my money because Id like to see them stay in business.

This game has a lot of promise. I mean, I would love to see some kind of government switching mechanism, or the evolution of puppet regimes. In fact, Id like to see a system where you have to create the conditions in your region for government change. A system whereby the game lets you know when you have a chance to make a monumental shift because you've meant a bunch of requisite conditions, or trended a number of like policies for so long that the people are shifting with you.

But, I do, as it is now, Like what Ive seen so far, and I hope the 40 bucks you got out of me keeps you in business for the 5 or 10 seconds forty bucks will keep your overhead satisfied.
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

Illumination, nice post. And thanks for the support.

I think I just blew your $40 above by posting a reply. (just kidding)

I did appreciate how your were specific in your desires for game additions. Some posts are very, um vague. When people continue to say, "the game doesn't work right", it does nothing to move us anywhere in a direction they want. "Make the AI better", is another 'great' comment. :-?

We do try to encourage some details in requests, while hoping people don't write novels. I personally have many ideas to improve the SR engine but the scope of the game is so broad and it covers many areas so I have to put my ideas on "the list" so they can be considered like all the others.
Kreiger815
Colonel

Post by Kreiger815 »

Legend, make the AI better, DO IT NOW

I had similar criticism to this game until I realized the vanilla game was unplayable and had to be patched.

Since then, I eagerly await updates for new features while I play my "tutorial" as the Hellenic Empire of Greece :P

I've gotten quite a bit of enjoyment out of it, but strategy games aren't for everyone.
Illumination
Warrant Officer

Post by Illumination »

Its easy to come up with wish lists. I can dream up any number of detailed additions to a game, while having no idea how long they would take to develop, or how resource intensive they would be.

As I said, this game has more going for it in terms of what Ive been looking for than any other out there, and the product commitment Battlegoat seems to demonstrate is the clincher.

As far as government switching, as I described it, would be something I've never really seen before in a game, but have often thought about. In most games you just tell the government to switch, it does so, and assigns some sort of arbitrary numerical calculatory changes to the game. It should not be so easy. For instance, and maybe not the best example, but, Hitler tried to overthrow germany in 24 and failed. Then, he rose through the system he hated, and at the head of the German people, did away with the republic and instuted the third reich.

He couldnt arbitrarily do it, so he had to go the long way.

It could also go the other way, say, in the example of Ghandi.

Anyway, a small thing really, and the gam eis fine without it.

And, as a last word, I have many lists of my own here in our business, and the things were doing now have often occupied lists for 3 years. Your turnover is much quicker. :-D

Happy Conquesting.
TM (Ghost)
Captain

Post by TM (Ghost) »

Why would you even feed a troll........ :-?
[_]OT

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”