Thanks for the Unit trade...(Now discussion of Unit Trading)

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Malkuth
Warrant Officer

Thanks for the Unit trade...(Now discussion of Unit Trading)

Post by Malkuth »

Nice added feature. Now I can trade For Unit Blueprints from other countries. You Don't know how Helpful this is!

I had no good Sea Transports as Australia that could do landings. And now I just bought one from the USA. Yipee. Bought A helo transport too. Yipee..

Thanks!!

[Edit by moderator - title updated]
Apollon
Lt. Colonel

Re: Thanks for the Unit trade Devs.

Post by Apollon »

Ahem... this has been always there. It was even a feature in 2010. :wink:
Robyrot
Warrant Officer

Post by Robyrot »

It would also be nice to be able to trade military units instead of designs. I like to play with small, third world countries, who hardly have the resources to build their own units and have to buy obsolete units from other countries. (thats the way it is in real life).
MichiD
Major

Post by MichiD »

And I'd like to supply my allies and my enemies enemy with modern equipment, also heard of...
Robyrot
Warrant Officer

Post by Robyrot »

MichiD wrote:And I'd like to supply my allies and my enemies enemy with modern equipment, also heard of...
Thats right. The U.S. does it with its allies.
Mitchell
Lieutenant

Post by Mitchell »

Thats right. The U.S. does it with its allies.
... and with its enemies...
Mitchell
Art_Vandelay
Warrant Officer

Post by Art_Vandelay »

With unit trading it would be a completely another dimension. Instead of scraping obsolete units you could sell it to 3rd world countries or whatever you want.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

Malkuth wrote:Nice added feature. Now I can trade For Unit Blueprints from other countries. You Don't know how Helpful this is!

I had no good Sea Transports as Australia that could do landings. And now I just bought one from the USA. Yipee. Bought A helo transport too. Yipee..

Thanks!!
Hi, as I played SR2010 in the office I would always come across new features and abilities that I didn't use after playing for several years and even while working on the game.

I'm glad you are finding new things even if they were already there.
Robyrot
Warrant Officer

Post by Robyrot »

Art_Vandelay wrote:With unit trading it would be a completely another dimension. Instead of scraping obsolete units you could sell it to 3rd world countries or whatever you want.
Yes, this is a wonderful idea! It would make the game more realistic.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

The one problem with unit trading, and is something we've discussed, is actually getting the units there. Sharing borders could turn on temporary transit and supply treaties but if you are far away how do units get to the buyer? What if you are Austria and have enemies all around you, should you be able to buy units then? Although we like the idea of unit trades these are just some of the things we have to ponder. With the smaller maps of 2010 (with the exception of the world map), it wasn't much of an issue but on our new SR2020 world map with so many countries we have to really think of the ramifications that we may encounter. Anyone have ideas?

Here is an example...What if USA sold units to Israel... how should they get the units there? What about countries at war with Israel? They could interfere with transport of units. Thoughts?
Robyrot
Warrant Officer

Post by Robyrot »

Legend wrote:Here is an example...What if USA sold units to Israel... how should they get the units there? What about countries at war with Israel? They could interfere with transport of units. Thoughts?
Well, how do they do it in real life? My guess is that yes, they do it via transports, so that cannot be a problem. You say that enemy countries could interfere with the transports, well that is realistic also, if not, look at WWII and how the Germans were interfering with the allies transport of units. It is up to the player to out think the AI, perhaps the use of submarines(if you have them) or a strong navy surely will help. To quote the movie Crimson Tide: "You don't just fight wars when everything is honky dory."
supremesaffgee
Lieutenant

Post by supremesaffgee »

Legend wrote:Here is an example...What if USA sold units to Israel... how should they get the units there? What about countries at war with Israel? They could interfere with transport of units. Thoughts?
*Minor rant: Yeah but then how does that country trade at all ? Or get the raw materials to manufacture all their units ? How are all those people getting in and out of the country - and why is my country growing at such a huge pace ? Are all the ports blockaded ? or the air space ? Is that really a garrison that just shot down my stealth bombers ?
The game doesn't handle all these aspects, so i just don't see why its so important to you guys to make unit trading the pinnacle of realism. ANY system that gets this sorted is in my eyes a good system. *end rant

I just think that a system where the countries trade units and then have to pick them up is asking for trouble....soooo many pitfalls, and lets face it the AI is already at a loss as to how to perform foreign overseas invasions, so giving him this to chew on is not going to help I imagine. I propagated a system where the sold units disppeared from the map, and 'reappeared' in the build queue of the buyer - still needing work to reassemble, rearm and restaff them. While not tracking transportation, this system does tip its hat to realism more than an outright buy of a unit a la system you guys seem to prefer. After all, for example I can't imagine all the argentinians in the infantry unit the UK just bought being impressed when a ship comes by to pick them up for transportation directly to the war theatre in france. Furthermore, my system takes into account pilots having to retrain for a new unit, ships needing to have new systems installed to make them compatible with the countries own hardware, etc, etc, etc. If its really realism you want, then a 'teleport' to the build queue is the way to go.
I agree transportation might be an issue to consider and discuss, but lets please not get too bogged down on something as minor as that......!!!
Scott_B
Captain

Post by Scott_B »

Maybe it should show up with 50% or more damage maybe even 80% or 90% damage and need to be sent to reserves to repair = assemble and transport time.

Of course that may be asking too much from the software I don't know.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Maybe it should show up with 50% or more damage maybe even 80% or 90% damage and need to be sent to reserves to repair = assemble and transport time.
That's actually a very interesting idea. Very interesting ! :)

I'm really not sure if anyone has suggested something like this before, if so then I'm sorry I didn't remember it...

One of the other issues with Unit trades that Legend didn't mention above is that if you use 'magic transport' to move them around, then that feature can be used as an artificial way to get units around the map. Having problems getting past French patrol boats to get your units from the US to your beachhead in Europe? Simply trade them to a European ally; maybe even have that ally trade them back to a location at your beachhead. There are other similar problems as well.

However, the concept of delivering units that require 'some assembly' is much more appropriate. The comment was made earlier in this thread that 'how does Israel get their military goods from the US now?' Well, the fact is that very little arrives in one piece. Most of it arrives as sub-components used in Israel's own designs, such as its Merkava tank. We already support this sort of trading in SR2020 ('Military Goods' which then are used in local Land Fabrication). Many countries that purchase US equipment specifically do some of the assembly work in their own plants, also in keeping with the trade of 'military goods' instead of finished units.

But for cases where trading finished units is more appropriate, this 'some assembly required' idea seems to solve a lot of issues, and allows trading of units without trading the design, the element that is missing in SR2020.

Will need to think about this some more, but it is an interesting potential solution...

-- George.
TM (Ghost)
Captain

Post by TM (Ghost) »

George Geczy wrote: Will need to think about this some more, but it is an interesting potential solution...

-- George.
Please do, George, please do!
Trading units as IRL would be a great feature (Along with AI improvements off course..) :D

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”