ICBM's / Missile Silos

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

mr1701
Corporal

ICBM's / Missile Silos

Post by mr1701 »

This may have allready been put upi somewher if it has I aplogise, I have just bought sr2020 and have been reading the manual and playing a little bit of the game i noticed that i could not find any missile silos in the game even though they are in the book, I tried to be USA in the 2020 map but i could not find and Missiles to build that are launched from silos nor could i find anything to do with long range startegis weapons. Please Help..
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I have not done a full comparison of the manual to the final game, but there are some "differences" already appearing due to the fact that the manual must on sent to press well before completion of the game.

Missile silos are not in Surpeme Ruler 2020 at this time, George posted the following on the Paradox forums;
There are some general issues with ICBM use that, in my opinion, doesn't make them that good a fit in SR2020, which is why that feature isn't there.

Right now you can launch nukes by cruise missile or other ballistic (scud-type) missile, and this includes land launch, air launch, sub and naval launch.

SR2020 is designed to be played a lot of ways, but it is not a "game of global thermonuclear war"

While ICBM's are being considered for future updates, I'm actually not sure that there is a good fit with them and SR2020, and that it would be better to focus on other areas for our new features. It may be cute to watch a nuke fly around the world once or twice, but it is a weak concept both for gameplay and as a strategy to take over the world

-- George / BattleGoat.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Yank
Corporal

Post by Yank »

There's more discussion and debate about this over on the 2020 site on the Paradox baords. Several people have made arguments for inclusion of this item in the game.
StoweMobile
Major

Post by StoweMobile »

Personally I like to play with nukes off. I think there is a good reason they haven't been used offensively since Nagasaki, though my main reason for this is that I like conventional warfare in the game, and find the use of Nukes to be somewhat anti-climactic :). On occasion though I've lobbed some missles at a few large concentrated groups of enemies if the prospect of fighting them face to face was somewhats daunting :roll:
nemesis2008
Corporal

Post by nemesis2008 »

Hmmm why dont you let the customer decide what to ad and what not. sounds more to me that there is a problem with adding this option to the game if you ask me and no one asked me but im still saying it heh.

should not be to hard right. :D
Ashbery76
Major

Post by Ashbery76 »

You still have nukes in the game,so why not silos? It is realistic and you don't have to micromanage like subs and planes.
nemesis2008
Corporal

Post by nemesis2008 »

hehe i just got the silos back just deinstalled the game and did not install the latest update way cooler this way .....

mmm if some devs could tell us what file we need to copy back after the patch to get the silos back please let us know i can find it out also with a program i have but takes me a day or 2 if you could be so nice thx
sirveri
Colonel

Post by sirveri »

Nuclear weapons have made peace a reality thru the later half of the 20th century. No major wars have been fought between nuclear powers because of them. To totally ignore nuclear weapons and global thermonuclear war in a game of this scope is well... needed. The problem I see with the Supreme Ruler series as a whole is how the AI handles it and nuclear weapons in general. In the Shattered world series you could say that the nuclear weapons stockpiles are unusable and/or destroyed(they don't have the arming keys anymore). But some nations will desire to reconstruct their strategic level nuclear forces.

The reasons for this are obvious. Strategic level nuclear weaponry prevents war. Period. Major level conflicts between Nuclear powers do NOT occur. Simply due to the possibility of mutually assured destruction. If a force is being systematically beaten and is on the verge of losing a conflict, would they result to the use of nuclear weaponry? That's an interesting question to pose, the answer is maybe. I'd give it a 50/50. Small scale at the start, but if it sparked an exchange it could escalate to full scale armageddon.

Nuclear weapon usage was a part of the USA strategic planning in the European NATO theater against a mass Soviet incursion. Tactical nuclear weapons were pre-positioned in Europe for use against mass concentrations of Soviet armor and mechanised infantry. Nuclear weaponry was a part of Soviet planning as well, during the Cuban missle Crisis, if the USA had invaded Cuba, Fidel has publicly stated that at the time he did have nuclear weapons, and he WOULD have used them to nerf an assault on his island.

So the bottom line is this, nuclear weaponry is a major part of the later half of the 20th century, and NEEDS to be in the game to have a accurate simulator of regional conflicts. Is it a weak 'strategy to take over the world'. Yes. But, it is something that exists and that needs to be modeled properly to have any sort of sembelance to a real world simulation. Is it a 'weak concept for gameplay'. NO. The real issue is getting the AI to recognise that the usage of nuclear weapons is bad and undesirable. That has already been done. The real trick is getting it to recognise when a full nuclear exchange IS warranted. Or even a tactical level usage.

The addition of nuclear weapons effects setting in the setup of 2020 is a good start. But nuclear warfare is a reality, and it needs to be addressed for 2020. Simply ignoring is and saying that it doesn't make for a good game destroys the realism of the simulation. And that is what SR2020 appears to aim to be, a SIMULATOR.
- Dave
---------------------
Will mod for food!
nemesis2008
Corporal

Post by nemesis2008 »

k just found out how to keep the silos hehe faster than 2 days lol and simple

its in the cache where this is changed just well if you really want this like me install the patch to a different dir just rename your original supreme ruler 2020 dir to supreme ruler 2020 original. than make another dir with the name supreme ruler 2020 and the patch will be copied in here, and just copy the content of that dir excluding the cache dir to your SR2020 dir thats all patch installed and still silos heh btw dont forget to make a new shortcut else your desktop shortcut wont work. fast and easy way. works great.

hope you have fun and hope also that the devs will bring it back for good.

btw super game

its 100000% better than superpower 2
ivanpro
Sergeant

Post by ivanpro »

I agree, the missile silos should be kept. This was a great feature on 2010. I am not sure how you mitigate the risk of a country using them. Any ideas out there? Possibly the threat elevation on both Russia and U.S. increases based on distance from each others borders and the market trade is affected as a result. Just one idea.
nemesis2008
Corporal

Post by nemesis2008 »

To be honoust i think the idea of removing the nukes was i guess a moral thing???? of the devs??? common its just a game... just an idea... im just sensing this that this is the reason why they removed it not because of some game problem but a moral thing i have the feeling.

wellll.....

as you can see bring it back....
The Beastmaster
Sergeant

Post by The Beastmaster »

Perhaps they wanted to avoid the endless bickering over things like, nuclear winter, global warming, how much damage would a unit.. or city really take if an ICBM hit it. Or how much wood could a woodchuck chuck... etc.

While I'd like to see the option for playing with ICBMs in the game, I have to confess, that the idea of being a supreme ruler without basically nuking other (nations who have nukes) into oblivion, would be impossible without some major additons to the game in forms of espionage and such.
At that point, the games name would become something like: Supreme Spy Ruler and Overthrower of All Governments Who Oppose Me.
Or yeah... the other end would be the: Supreme Ruler of the Survivors of Worldwide Global Thermal Nuclear War.

If I had to play this game, and see massive effects of the programmers ideas of global warming (as some games have in them) after only a dozen nukes go off, I'd rather not play the game.
gouldjg
Captain

Post by gouldjg »

Seen a mod for armageddon over at paradox which has nukes but you can only use them once a certain percentage of your homeland was taken e.g. could only use as a last resort type of thing.

I think that would be a fair rule of thumb rather than all the complicated coding.

Just set the ai on a % chance for using them and player on a 80% homeland loss ability.

The rest is in the imagination IMO.

I do think that using them in any other circumstances except that above and as a retaliation responce should auto have you removed from office via a mob of citizens cutting off your head.
TM (Ghost)
Captain

Post by TM (Ghost) »

gouldjg wrote: I do think that using them in any other circumstances except that above and as a retaliation responce should auto have you removed from office via a mob of citizens cutting off your head.
LOL :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
Uglyr
Lieutenant

Post by Uglyr »

gouldjg wrote:I do think that using them in any other circumstances except that above and as a retaliation responce should auto have you removed from office via a mob of citizens cutting off your head.
Maybe "mob of mutants"? ;)

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”