Seeing Ranges

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

danceswithfools
Warrant Officer

Seeing Ranges

Post by danceswithfools »

Is there anyway to see the range of weapons ?

as apposed to say counting hexes for to see of I have spaces between my AA guns and if to see if something is within missile range before choosing to fire.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

There is no "range finding" tool. We've already gotten some feedback that measuring distances is awkward. We'll be working to improve this in future updates.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

To clarify, there is a range finding tool but it's not up front in your face. But, ...if you pick a unit, and look where you give it orders, beside the list is a summary of the units selected...in there you see a range in KM from the selected unit.

To be honest, at the moment, i'm not sure which unit the range is from when there are multiple units selected in multiple hexes. maybe someone has figured this out.
danceswithfools
Warrant Officer

Post by danceswithfools »

ah ok thnx
Graymane
Major

Post by Graymane »

I would suggest you implement the thing that says "ranges in hexes" to change that readout. I mean, it isn't like I don't like doing the math, but it would be kind of cool if ranges said how many hexes they will reach instead of something like 4km.

There is game called War in the Pacific (WITP) from Matrix Games that uses range circles for units. That is actually really nice. So basically, when you click on a unit, the game will draw a circle that shows the range of that unit. You could even do something all fancy like give travel range and firing range.
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

We've discussed range circles but with unit stacks, and so many unit specs we didn't come up with a final conclusion. Do you want to see travel ranges, firing ranges (and if so, land/air/sea - low air / mid air / high air - surface/submerged attack etc... ) It all became a confusing situation.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

I have to say I am already pleased with how range is auto shown when units are selected. This is a massive time saver over the old system.
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

well thanks! that is good to hear.
Graymane
Major

Post by Graymane »

Well, with WITP, you would get a circle for each unit and if you had multiple circle types, say firing range and travel range, you'd get different colors :-) It should only show up for stuff you have selected, including the baddies.

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”