Different types of AI

Show us how intelligent you are by discussing the AI in this forum.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Bateman1982
Lieutenant

Different types of AI

Post by Bateman1982 »

I'm shifting between playing 3 strategy games at the moment, supremeruler2010, hearts of iron 2 doomsday and galactic civilizations 2.

Reading a discussion on these boards about AI has made me curious what the differences are between the AI in these 3 games.

I know the supremeruler has hardcoded AI, and I'm guessing HOI2 has scripted AI. Whats the major difference between these types?

Which AI do you feel delivers the best gaming experience?
rhjyyz
Major

Post by rhjyyz »

Gal Civ 2 by far. The Ai can do whatever the human can. It may not do it well all the time, but it can do it.
In Supreme Ruler the Ai is terribly disadvantaged as it cannot build up its region (civ). Also since it doesn't use transports you can leave all your back line cities ,sea piers and coasts totally undefended while you just keep piling on forward. The AI must be given all assets that the human have or it will fail more than miserably.

However we got a game that has exquisite detail with military and economic models and a brain dead AI.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

I dont know what the difference is between a hard coded AI and a scripted AI.Not even sure what each of those are.

Gal Civ 2 AI is far better than the AI in sr2010.

BUT , and YES its a huge "but"(no joke intended),the games are very different in terms of complexity also.

SR2010 is a far more complex game.As such it only makes sense that the AI has more issues.Its far harder to make the AI competant in a game like sr2010 (not that there really are any) than in Gal Civ 2.

We do need to nicely prod the Devs here though to improve their AI.Its a lot of work, and they make make very little progress, but we (their customers) and they will benefit immensely from any improvements they learn to make in their AIs.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

IMHO i think the Goats where a little bit to ambitious with their first tittle.
(Doesn't matter .. i still like it :lol: )

Should it be a complete warsimulator or a civ builder ???

They thought probably: what the heck we make both of it.....

And that is asking for problems.

The game has four major game elements:
1) War/simulation
2) Economy
3) Diplomacy
4) Civ building

1 = terrible
2 = nice
3 = terrible
4 = hmmmm

I think the Goats must now concentrate at one element.First thing to me = Civ building especially for the AI...

They could do it right now with - expansionpacks-
So that we will have within a forseenable future a really excellent game
with all those elements implemented properly....
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

One thing to keep in mind, right now sr2010 has some very low reccommended system specs.
And most can play fairly well on all except the large maps .

BUT once the AI starts to build its own facilities,the small maps can become as unrunnable as the large maps are currently, for the low end users.

Just build a hundred airbases on a small map in your own region and you'll get an idea on how this affects the map.

Now figure an 8 region small map,in which each region builds an average of 10 facilities,not counting the player ,and its easy to see the same effect will occur.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

tkobo wrote:Now figure an 8 region small map,in which each region builds an average of 10 facilities,not counting the player ,and its easy to see the same effect will occur.
Yep... and that's the question in the first post....whats better..
Those games (calvic and CIV) always have one major rule = EXPANSION... :wink:
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR

Return to “AI - Artificial Intelligence”