The AI apparently doesnt know to stop spending on tech level

Show us how intelligent you are by discussing the AI in this forum.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

The AI apparently doesnt know to stop spending on tech level

Post by tkobo »

Its kind of funny.But apparantly unlike us wise PCs,the AI keeps funding tech level research after tech level 125.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

We honestly hadn't expected AIs to get past 125 :P
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Its kinda cool though to see the AI fielding BMV-1s though :lol:
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Where's the Techs?

Post by Eric Larsen »

I too have noticed in the World scenario that the AI's do a good job of researching techs for the first year or so and then the AI's tend to slack off considerably on techs. I guess they must switch to concentrating on tech level. What the heck good is a high tech level if you don't research the techs? I find that concentrating on techs is better than tech level as that way I take advantage of the improvements of an increasing tech level.

I wonder what the problem is with AI's not stopping at tech level 125. A simple "If" statement to check when the AI reaches that level and then a command to switch to techs should be programmable.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

There is a simple reason why the AI doesn't stop researching the tech level - that would be cheating.

The fact that the tech tree runs out at 125 is a "known fact" outside of the game. The AI regions should not know that the tech tree runs out at 125. The fact that the human player stops investing in tech level once they reach 125 is essentially an exploit of having looked at the tech tree. It's not one we cared much about since the design of the tech tree was intended to be longer than the campaign system so that players (human or AI) would essentially never reach the top of the tree.

Also, since we make the game moddable, someone in the community could add techs from 125-150 and we would want the AI to consider these new techs and try to reach them.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

never reach the top of the tree.

I'm able to do that in ever game I play. The only time I don't is when I quit the game early to play another scenario. Actually research isn't all that hard after u find a pattern u like. As for adding new techs not sure what kind of techs are needed. Maybe some to help more with production and with social spending. After playing a long game social spending could really kill ur surplus if the population getting to booming.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

bergsjaeger wrote:I'm able to do that in ever game I play...
Without cheating? By what game year? Each time I've played through the campaign when I reach the world level I still have quite a while to go and will usually settle into a pattern of 2-3 tech years per game year but without focusing on all the techs.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

:lol: well with big countries like China I can within at least 7 years If i am able to take over most of the other region rather fast. and smaller one's within 13 years through at least 3 scenarios. Just lots of taxing. Course bonds and good trade helps too. The only cheat I use sometimes is the finalexam just to get to the next tech year. Kinda have nothing to do while waiting for the next tech year to come up. And most of the time I have everything completed before I use the cheat anyways.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

But that is one big cheat! The time required to reach the next tech level is supposed to be one of the factors that costs money and takes the player time to achieve.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

:lol: True but sometimes I have nothing else to do except stare at the screen. So y not use the cheat. I mean its should be ok to use if u already have everything researched before that next tech year. That's the only time I use it and alot of the time I don't get all the techs done before I get to the next tech year.

Return to “AI - Artificial Intelligence”