A smarter economic AI

Show us how intelligent you are by discussing the AI in this forum.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Eric Larsen
Colonel

A smarter economic AI

Post by Eric Larsen »

One thing I've noticed with the AI is it goes nuts on the first day trying to build every military item it can. Another bad thing I've seen is it buys and sells stuff it should not.

I was putzing around with the World scenario as North America for the first day after I set the game in motion and noticed what North America built the first day. It built 4 or 5 aircraft carriers on the first day, along with a list of items that took several minutes to scroll by. Now that's not very smart since at the beginning of that scenario NA has no appreicable stocks of stuff to engage in a massive building program. All that building of military items did was to jack up military goods production which jacked up industrial goods production which sucked up coal at a prodigous rate. That wouldn't be so bad if coal wasn't in short supply to help keep the electricity system at peak production. All it ends up doing is sucking up coal which is in short supply and causing electrical production to fall so that there isn't enough electricity to fire up all that production in the first place.

Then to make matters worse I saw that the AI was exporting electricity that first day even though it did not have enough to meet domestic needs!! In the US-California scenario I saw the AI importing electricity as Southern California when it had a massive overproduction problem. The AI should not be importing stuff when it has an abundance of stock or overabundance of production. The AI should not be exporting stuff it has a shortage of as then it just has to buy more and most likely at worse prices.

The first day the AI should be playing the economic game close to the vest and not be trying to produce everything it possibly can. That first day ought to be a slow start for the AI so that it can see what it really has or doesn't have so it can then make better production decisions that don't blow the economy the first day. That would make a better AI for economic game purposes.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen

Return to “AI - Artificial Intelligence”