units in the rear

Show us how intelligent you are by discussing the AI in this forum.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

joecool250
Captain

units in the rear

Post by joecool250 »

okay, i am still in the world scenario, but also i have played europe. when they fight another nation, like europe is duking it out with russia and the middle east now, they only use units that are within a few hexes near the front. they have HUGE stockpiles of weapons in the rear that are no where near any fronts that could be used. also, i was thinking i might need to use my navy to defend my shores, but they NEVER send their navy out or their airforce, i have complete reign of the seas. i have them on normal mode and not aggressive but can they move their units more to make it more realistic?

Joe
red
General

Post by red »

tkobo recently posted about this somewhere and observed that the AI doesn't seem to use units until they are put near the front. So that's just how it goes for now. The difficulty settings and aggressiveness don't seem to change the tactical behavior of the AI, only higher-level things such as their military efficiency and willingness to negotiate.
joecool250
Captain

units in the rear

Post by joecool250 »

well i am hoping that changes soon, because it would add much more reality and a degree of difficulty.
Seydlitz
Major

Post by Seydlitz »

The problem with the AI marching too many units to the front is that they all just dig as deep as they can into your territory, run out of fuel, and become sitting ducks for artillery and ground support aircraft. I've won a number of games against much larger opponents by just provoking the AI into sending masses of troops at me, and bombing the hell out of those guys.

I think a lot of added difficulty would come if the AI would make use of their artillery in supporting offensives and counterattacks. Of course, the problem with that is that the amount of complexity involved in supporting an offensive with artillery (positioning the units a proper distance from the target to prevent getting destroyed, supply the units in newly conquered territory, etc) is probably too great for the AI to handle.

As for the air force not attacking, I doubt the AI would have the restraint to scout areas and determine what areas are an AA hornet's nest. I can just imagine the AI flying sortie after sortie of planes into a network of SAMs :roll: .

That said, it would be great if it actually worked out that way, lol.
joecool250
Captain

units in the rear

Post by joecool250 »

i have not had problems with masses of troops come at me, i always have to attack and them defend. they have never had a huge offensive against me. i know what you are talking about, but it would also be good as i said earlier if they could plan long term strategy.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Its does happen, especillay early in a war .

The AI launched this assault all on its own.They even traveled accross an allies entire region to come after me.Im blue, the red and yellow are AI.
All the yellow units you see on the map are moving towards and attacking me.I had the pathing turned off unfortuneatly ,in order to decrease the time a turn took, so you cant see the paths :-(

And like this time, where they had some help to allow them to "see" all their naval power.

I had about 15 minutes earlier taken control of the mexican AI and moved alot of thier naval force to attack the North western US who had progressed all the way to theTexas and Gulf of mexico area (again with a little help).
Then i switched back to playing my region.

But When NW US later in the game pushed again ,on the opposite coast on thier own, the Mexican AI now able to "see" all that naval force in one area, all on its own issued almost every last ship in the area orders to travel to the other coast and attack a NW US naval push there.

So it does happen on its own, and you can help them make it happen.(simply be repositioning the AIs forces)

But it wont keep happening,unless you take control of their region on a regular basis and "help" that region to see the large amount of troops its ignoring all around its region.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
joecool250
Captain

units in the rear

Post by joecool250 »

well i did have the south attack me when i was the NE, but the problem was they attacked very early on like you said. although they did not amass units but just sent what they had on the borders. oh well. thanks for all of the help.

Return to “AI - Artificial Intelligence”