Smart Fuel consumption

Show us how intelligent you are by discussing the AI in this forum.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Sebastiaan
Colonel

Smart Fuel consumption

Post by Sebastiaan »

Currently their are 4 speed settings, low, normal, high and very high. Depending on the speed, a units use more or less fuel per hour. Beside setting them on a individual basis, they can also be set for all units at the same time (by defence minister). Although these setting allow a commander to fine tune their units effectiveness on the battefield. In practice is is simply to much micromanaging when setting multiple units speed setting on a individuel basis.

To solve this problem, I propose an a few additional speed settings which will automaticly adjust the unit speed depending on their role and current fuel reserves. Depending on the role a unit has, the unit should use it fuel either agressively or defensively which means they will consume their fuel faster or slower.

- Defensive Role. When defending, it is desireble that the defending unit is able to intercept its target as soon a possible. By intercepting the enemy early, we can prevent the enermy unit from damaging the region. Because defending units have good access to supplies, they can afford to move fast without being afraid running out of fuel too fast.

100% - 60% fuel left: very fast
60% - 30% fuel left: fast
30% - 10% fuel left: normal speed
10% - 0% fuel left: low speed

- Agressive Role. When attacking, it desireble that the unit is able sustain it offencive role and should therefore limit the risk of running dry in enemy territory. The units should therefore try to conserve fuel usage except when in abundance.

100% - 90% fuel left: very fast speed
90% - 75% fuel left: fast speed
75% - 40% fuel left: normal speed
40% - 0% fuel feft: low speed

- Opertunistic Role. Units with an opertunist, must be able to switch to a defensive or agresive role at all times. It speed should therefore be a mix between agressive and defencive fuel usage.

100% - 75% fuel left: very fast speed
75% - 50% fuel left: fast speed
50% - 25% fuel left: normal speed
25% - 0% fuel left: low speed
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I'm not sure where in the interface you're suggesting putting these, but I have no problem with the current way of doing things. I could perhaps see linking certain actions to certain speeds - Patrol moves normal, retreat moves fastest + cautious for example - but that's about it...

Anyone else?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

Well, you could place them it the same inteface which controls speed setting. It would simply give give players attitional speed setting beside the current 4 constant speed settings

Return to “AI - Artificial Intelligence”